Day 3 - Am I Doing This Properly?

Options
Dandman1990
Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi all. This'll be the 3rd day that I'm actively trying to watch what I eat & to that end only eat when I'm certain that I'm hungry. However at about 330lbs my target calories are around 2220 per day according to MFP. The calculator that people reccommended I use on another thread (Scooybysworkshop) suggests that I eat 2477 calories per day for a projected 29.4kg loss per year.
The problem is that I've been eating less than half of what the BMR calculator suggest each day and I'm not sure if in the long run if I were to continue this for a month or more if it would do me more harm than good so I was hoping for a little advice from some people more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eat the calories MFP has told you to eat, you are looking to lose slow and steady, don't try and rush the process - it gives you guidelines for a reason! You want to lose the weight and keep it off - MFP is showing you how to do this by eating sensibly, there is no quick fix to this!!!!

Also might be worth having a word with your doctor and just get them to look over your plans.

Good luck x
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I generally take the daily allowances as what they were intended as, just a guide. I usually aim to be about 1-200 under my allowance, exercise not taken in to account. Eating too little can severely impact your ability to lose weight long term.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,Yes I think stick with what MFP are suggesting at least for a month or two and see what progress you achieve. If you are struggling to make up your cals each day try adding nuts and dried fruit and seeds etc or peanut butter. They are good fats and will bump up your cals quickly, but please weigh or you could do a lot of damage on the cals.
    Also agree with TINAHUNTER196 speak to your doctor and get them to weigh you and ok your plan.
    Good luck
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    I can only tell you what has worked for both me and my wife. We both use MFPs guidelines, and try to stick to them. When we both started on here we were both overweight and pretty sedentary. When we started working out, we both started off slow and gradually built up to where we are now. The eating was the hardest part, it truly was a life style change for both of us, we have learned a lot about the foods we eat, and what we used to eat. I agree with what others have said, sit down and have your doctor review your plans, you want it to be a long term solution, it will take time and effort, but well worth it in the end. Wife has lost 45lbs following MFP, and I have lost 40, so it does work. Feel free to take a look at my diary, or add me as a friend if you need the motivation, be glad to help you out if I can.

Chris
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    And how do you feel? Are you hungry? How much calories per day did you eat before?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    And how do you feel? Are you hungry? How much calories per day did you eat before?

This ? This? This?
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    Helena, if you are asking me....I feel great, actually better then I have in probably 15 yrs. Have tons more enrgy losing the weight, and my doc is about to take me off my Blood Pressure pills. I am not hungry at all, some days I eat back my calories from exercising, some days I dont. The hardest part was probably about the first two weeks while I got used to the reduced calorie intake. I still eat what I want, I am just smarter about it, and actually think about the portion sizes.
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    Hi all. This'll be the 3rd day that I'm actively trying to watch what I eat & to that end only eat when I'm certain that I'm hungry. However at about 330lbs my target calories are around 2220 per day according to MFP. The calculator that people reccommended I use on another thread (Scooybysworkshop) suggests that I eat 2477 calories per day for a projected 29.4kg loss per year.
    The problem is that I've been eating less than half of what the BMR calculator suggest each day and I'm not sure if in the long run if I were to continue this for a month or more if it would do me more harm than good so I was hoping for a little advice from some people more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks! :happy:

I say stick to what MFP tells you first. Use it as a guideline. See if it works for you - does the weight come off? Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Do you feel hungry or satisfied (not full!)? Go from there. Eating too little will backfire in the long run.
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Umm I have no idea because I never really paid any attention to the calorie values ( I had pretty much accepted I'd just keep getting fatter and given up). I'd take a guess at most days probably being over 3000 quite easily with extreme binging days probably being able to hit 6000 or so fairly easily maybe even more.

Thanks for all the info guys I'll try to keep it around the 2200 mark it's just a little difficult to stay within the protein amount specified with about 1200 let alone 2200! xD
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein quite low, so it's perfectly fine to go way over that protein amount. Think of that as a MINIMUM protein target. I changed my protein goal to 25% and that works well for me.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20% works for most people. I have found that even though I exercise 5x per week, since my work life is so sedentary I had to lower it to lose. I use the TDEE-20% at my goal weight instead PLUS I do 5:2. That is 2x per week at 25% of TDEE. It is working for me and making a half pound to pound a week average very do-able. Use common sense....eat clean and find the intake that works for you. I am a nutritionist and I thought this was against anything i learned in college but what an awakening to realize.....HELLO! Everybody's different. Once I realized that it wasnt so bad.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has worked for me. Everyone is different. I use the MFP as a "don't exceed" guide. I hardly ever eat the calories I'm allowed but I dont starve myself either. If I'm hungry, I eat! I just make smart choices. I do have my days that I completely blow it out of the water.. like this weekend :wink: With me eating under my calorie allowance most of the times the "slip up" days don't hurt me as bad. Like I said this is what works for me. Good luck with your weight loss!:drinker:
  • unicornpickles12
    Options
    If you're eating less than half of that - I don't think you'll last long. You have to eat enough to function. If your body thinks you are starving, it will hang on to every calorie it gets!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised by the fact you probably didn't eat half the calories. You may have eaten more than half the bulk, but not the calories. I was one of those people who always said "I don't eat that much", but now I know. Even in my first few weeks on this I felt like that too. I now look at it more clearly.

Follow the guidelines, log every single bite. Never give yourself permission to not record what you eat or drink. If you drink one swallow of juice ... count it ... if you taste the soup simmering on the stove ... count it. All those little nibbles and sips really do add up. Also, when you aren't counting calories you tend to go overboard on condiments. Not saying that is necessarily the case with you, but it was with me.

Give it a few weeks, of truly counting EVERYTHING. If you aren't loosing I'll be surprised and be the first one to tell you have your thyroid checked. Good luck, I had my doubts when I started here, but I'm half way home now.
This discussion has been closed.