Ladies help

Options
snowsquall
snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
My wife is going into her 3rd week of Zumba the 1st week she lost 3.5 lb and then didnt lose anything the second week but has lost 6 inches off her waist and inches everywhere else and her mobility has increases 100%. I told her she is building muscle and not to worry as the pounds will eventually come off, she was very frustrated on the scales any suggestion i can pass on to her.

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    She probably isn't "building muscle", as that is actually really difficult to do. Her initial weight loss may well have been water weight, or she may have been creating a calorie deficit that she has since bridged. But obviously if she's losing inches and gaining mobility, her workouts are successful! Is she watching her calorie intake as well? Exercise alone isn't usually enough to effectively lose weight, it is much more about how much you are eating. Exercise definitely burns calories, but if you aren't monitoring your intake, most people will automatically start eating them back without realizing it. If losing weight is her goal, she's going to need to track her food somehow and make sure she is eating at a deficit. But if her goals are to look better and feel better, remind her that those things ARE happening and encourage her to look at the tape measure rather than the scale.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Your wife has done really well , the scale may not have moved as much as she would like but she has had NSVs ( non scale victories ) I'd never heard of these before mfp but the are another way of measuring success ! Her mobility has improved & she's lost 6 inches from her waist , they are all fantastic NSVS . Tell her she should be proud of what she has achieved !
  • snowsquall
    snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i dont think she is eating enough, im going to get her signed on here and see what happens with the tracking of food!!!!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Zumba won't build muse but it will burn some calories. She needs to watch her diet to lose lb though.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    She is doing great! You might want to tell her that rapid weight loss is not something to which she should aspire anyhow as that can backfire. You can also tell her that the scale is a dirty *kitten* that lies (seriously, the scale is NOT the best indicator of weight loss and improvements to health). The inches, the mobility, the energy, the improvements to posture, et cetera are all really good measurements. Weight fluctuates from day to day and is impacted by water retention and hormones.

While it's probably true that Zumba doesn't "build" muscle in the strictest sense, she's toning her core (abs and back) in a big way and getting a good cardio workout.

I think it's awesome that you're supporting her and getting her into the food diary is a great idea, just to make sure she's eating a healthy diet. A virtual pat on the back to both of you!
  • äirly
    Options
    Don't know why but I've always found weight loss o occur more often every other week too. Example; week 1: 3 pounds, week 2: .5 pounds week 3: 1.5 pounds week 4: .5 etc...

The first week of any new diet is usually the best (water weight) and of course women hold fluid at a certain time during the month. The bright side is this is usually followed by an uncommonly 'good' week on the scales.

Finger crossed your wife sees the pay off next week ;)
  • artsygrandma
    artsygrandma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that when I drink two liters of water during the day, I see a weight loss the next day. Do I like drinking water like this on a daily
    basis? No, I hate it, but I get results--never fails. Hope this works out for her
  • klerato
    Options
    She should just continue to have fun at ZUMBA and try not to eat back all the calories she burns!
  • Your wife seems to be doing an amazing job already. I felt the same way she did when I started working out and trying to change my eating habits and then I gave up and I regret stopping. Zumba doesn't really build muscle it burns calories. Zumba is a great cardio workout, one mistake is to keep getting on the scale each week. She has to watch what she eats and drink a lot of water. I would also suggest switching up her work out. Maybe every other day throw in another work out that way she will confuse her body. Just tell her to keep up the good work, just because she doesn't see the results as fast as she would like, does not mean what she is doing is not working... Keep in mind it takes time to get the pounds off that we worked so effortlessly to put on.
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    has lost 6 inches off her waist and inches everywhere else.

Frankly speaking I can't imagine myself losing 6 inches off my waist for 2 weeks. I think she just pulled in her stomach. I would better take my old pants and look if they are loose now or not to consider the result.

But Zumba is a great workout, and she burns calories, so it will pay off.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My wife is going into her 3rd week of Zumba the 1st week she lost 3.5 lb and then didnt lose anything the second week but has lost 6 inches off her waist and inches everywhere else and her mobility has increases 100%. I told her she is building muscle and not to worry as the pounds will eventually come off, she was very frustrated on the scales any suggestion i can pass on to her.

First week she probably lost 1lb fat and 2.5lb water.
    2nd week she lost 1lb fat and kept off 1.5lb water
    3rd week she'll lose 1lb fat and keep off .5lb water
    4th week she'll lose 1lb fat and see a result of .5lb loss.

:p

It won't happen overnight but it will happen.
This discussion has been closed.