"On the Go" breakfast ideas.

Options
What are some of the "on the go" breakfast items you take to eat on the way to work? I commute an hour to and from work having to be out of the house by 6 am and I am not a morning person. So easy yet healthy ideas are what I am looking for. I have just been making protein shakes or eating smart one breakfast meals.

Replies

• janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of boiled eggs.
    Also, you could make oatmeal in the crockpot the night before and it would be ready in the morning.
  • I'm a fan of boiled eggs but that can get old pretty quick. I usually do oatmeal every now and then too. I could use some more suggestions in this department as well.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If you commute by bus or train you could eat pretty much anything. YOu could make a batch of fruit salad and stick it in a well-sealed container. Or you could have a small sandwich.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Shakes but with more than just milk/water and protein powder.

Make your own mix! Some ingredients to add could be banana, frozen berries, spinach, mango, chia seeds, yoghurt, mint, oats, grapefruit, cooled green tea, grapes, honey, avocado, cinnamon, pineapple, carrot, flaxseed, pear... the list goes on!

Experiment and make your own mixes.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I pack my breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack in a cooler bag every night for the next day. Breakfast is usually a bowl of oats or bran and some protein like 100g of deli chicken.
  • Obidalagirl
    Options
    Ryvita with peanut butter and a banana?
    If I am in a rush it's usually a drinking yoghurt and a banana followed by a coffee at the office. :)
  • lafoto13
    lafoto13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Toast with avocado nd sliced tomato, little sea salt
    Toast with melted cheese (soy cheese for us non-dairys)
    Toast with peanut butter nd sliced banana

Healthy Breakfast burritos (frozen food section or make your own)
    Make a breakfast trail mix with a base of a healthy cereal like kashi. Then add some dred fruit, raw nuts, etc. portion out into zip locks and its already ready to go very morning!
    Starbucks sells a bar-- brand is called 2 moms --raw nut & seed bars. Love those! Add a Banana on the side and coffee! Yum!
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    Shakes but with more than just milk/water and protein powder.

Make your own mix! Some ingredients to add could be banana, frozen berries, spinach, mango, chia seeds, yoghurt, mint, oats, grapefruit, cooled green tea, grapes, honey, avocado, cinnamon, pineapple, carrot, flaxseed, pear... the list goes on!

Experiment and make your own mixes.

I second that. I have a protein shake for breakfast every single day. If I don't have time I pour it in a tumbler and go.
  • heathercarver96
    heathercarver96 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    All these suggestions sound yummy! Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at work too.

I put cereal in 1 container with fruit and milk in another and put in in my lunch box. I eat that at my desk. Or I make a smoothie. I've even put eggs in a container and reheated them once I got to work. lol.

I really like breakfast sandwiches too, but I wrap them in lettuce cause i'm not bread person. Eggs, avocado, spinach, radishes, mushrooms, onion peppers basically whatever veggies i have on hand. Half the time I just throw all that in a container and eat with a fork instead of wrapping in lettuce.

I have this really awesome idea for pancake cupcakes. But i haven't' tried them yet. I have pre-made pancakes though and just eaten them cold at work.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    i make an egg casserole that's pretty easy to eat cold with your fingers.

8-10 large eggs, beaten
    1 pkg (12 slices) pre-cooked bacon, chopped up (can also use chopped up cooked ham)
    2-10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove all liquid (by hand or in tea towel)
    4 oz crumbled reduced fat feta
    Stir well to evenly distribute ingredients. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes in 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam
    Makes 6 servings, 200-240 calories each
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here's my formula for a filling breakfast.

Pick a substrate:
    Whole grain English muffin, toast, or bagel
    Tortilla
    Romaine hearts

Pick a spread:
    Guacamole (Two Hass avocados, a can of Ro-Tel, and a chopped onion make a good, quick guac)
    Hummus, baba ganouj, or muhammara
    Vegetarian/fat-free refried beans
    Nut butter with no added sugar or oil

Add fruits or veggies as desired:
    Tomatoes, bell peppers, red onions
    Sprouts of any variety
    Sliced bananas