Almonds and calories

Options
Hey, I have recently done a lot of research and found out that almonds are a great snack that burns calories, however they are high in cals!

So I was looking for some advice, im not a massive fan of the taste of almonds but im willing to give them a go but do I include them in my 1200 or do I extend my daily intake to 1350 and eat them?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Eat them and count them. They are not a magic weight loss food, but they are good for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    They are an extremely nutrient dense food...they are also calorie dense. Calories have nothing to do with nutritional value...calories are just a unit of energy, like a watt or volt, etc. Any number of foods are very nutritious and good for you, but are calorie dense; conversely, there's a whole lot of worthless **** out there nutritionally speaking that has no calories.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just eat emeralds natural almonds. The 100 calorie packs. Slip them in your purse and it's a quick snack. Don't get the dry roasted...that just means they added salt. Too much sodium makes u retain water.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eat them.
    I do, but keep an eye.....because the calories add up quick with nuts.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You can also try using almond milk if you're trying to reap some of the benefits of almonds but don't care as much for the calories. Obviously it's not as nutritious, but there are benefits and unsweetened vanilla almond milk is only 30 calories/cup.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have recently done a lot of research and found out that almonds are a great snack that burns calories,

No, almonds are good source of nutrients and fats but they aren't a snack that burns calories. Please post the research that shows they burn calories.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I say eat them (you still need to count the calories though) but I like them. I don't see the point in eating something you don't enjoy.
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have recently done a lot of research and found out that almonds are a great snack that burns calories,

No, almonds are good source of nutrients and fats but they aren't a snack that burns calories. Please post the research that shows they burn calories.

alright genius, it was a simply question and has been answered well by everyone else
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

alright genius, it was a simply question and has been answered well by everyone else

And I was simply asking where you got the information that almonds burn calories? Simply.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    the nutrients far out way the calories. I eat them in the little packs and sometimes i do the coco roasted one if i'm craving chocolate...mix them with some greek yogurt! its a good crunchy snack.. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    fit them into your macro targets

BTW because of the fat/fibre in almonds (and other nuts) about 50% of them is passed through the body and not stored.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Count them out - 15-20 is perfect for a snack.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

I was also wondering where you got the info that they burn calories? Are they hot?
  • cozgrl05
    cozgrl05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also eat the Emerald packets with Almond/Walnut for snacks. I think its a good healthy choice :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are a good source of Omega-6's i think......
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And I was simply asking where you got the information that almonds burn calories? Simply.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/2/249.abstract - no benefit from almonds, possibly less weight loss

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/2/296.abstract - in vivo measured energy value of almonds less than standard assumptions
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My friends, cousins, uncles, brothers college roomates kid heard from someone that eating a small portion of almonds after dinner would aid in metabolizing his food. I never could get anyone with any initials after their name to substantiate that claim but, with all the benefits they do bring to the table, I add them in my diet. But, I do count them towards my daily #'s and try to steer clear of the smokehouse or other heavily salted varieties. I agree with above, if you don't care for the almonds themselves, maybe one of the almond "milks" on the market. Blue Diamond sugar-free varieties have been pretty good in my opinion. Good luck!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat a small portion of raw unsalted almonds every few days. They are a good snack in terms of healthy fat and protein. Just watch the portion size. An 1/8 cup is about 80 calories. Good luck!
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I have decided to include them in my calorie intake but just having about 10 a day so I get the nutrients :)