MiracleNoodle? (Shirataki Noodles)

Options
Does anyone else use MiracleNoodle (Shirataki Noodles)?

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

I used them a lot when low carbing...but I wonder if they secretly mess you up....like people say diet soda & crystal light does...etc...

I've read good reviews about them on fitness/diet sites. :o/ Hmmm...Well I making Spaghetti with them. lol

Just wondering about other people.

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    not to be stupid, but what are they? I'vve never heard of them before? where do you buy them?
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've used them. They aren't like crystal light or other things that could "mess" you up, but made from the konjac or elephant yam plant. They are completely natural and ok to eat---they have been eating them in Asia for years. I always make a flavorful sauce since they don't really have any taste (often I make a tasty stir fry). I don't use them so much for low carb, but more for days when I have more calories for other meals, etc.
  • katschy
    katschy Posts: 67
    Options
    Miracle noodles are made of konnyaku, which is in turn made of a fibrous plant. Low in calories and taste, high in fibre - it's actually quite yummy and gluten-free. The noodles are chewy, though, nothing like wheat pasta or anything. I love the stuff. I'll be interested to know what you think of the noodles as "spaghetti".
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I get mine from here http://www.miraclenoodle.com/ .

But I've heard you can buy them at Asian grocery stores, or sometimes Safeway (but I've never been able to find them).

They are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac plant.

They're not like normal noodles...they are kind of rubbery in texture, some people don't like them. I personally like them in stir frys more than pasta, but its still pretty good for low cal or low carb.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    The problem with them as a pasta, is they don't absorb enough lol. So it just like falls off the noodle. haha But its not bad.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    bump. I'd definately like to try them. I'm looking for a 'noodle' option. Didn't really like spagetti squash...
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can get them at asian grocery stores. I tried them and believe me I really wanted to like them, I thought they were good the first time I had them, but not the second time. I bought the House Brand Tofu Shirataki Noodles, and the water they're packaged in has a serious 'funk', I had to wash the noodles for well over 5 minutes under cold water...and then spend another 5 minutes drying them with paper towel...and then prepare the meal. I bought 4 packs and ended up throwing away 2 packs. I really want to like them because the calorie savings is huge and after eating them you actually feel really full... it's worth trying them in case you like them because they really look like pasta, and the texture in my opinion is fine too. But I personally couldn't get past 'the funk'. I dunno. I wrote two reviews on my blog, and show pics of them, if you're interested they're in the "food" section.

And if any of the shirataki noodle experts out there can offer advice as to what I'm doing wrong please tell me, I'd be willing to give them another try.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    My husband uses them when he makes Suki yaki. They taste great in it. He doesn't use any diet version just the japanese brands.
  • jhorenc
    jhorenc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    oooh, I might have to try this out for I am a NOODLE lover! anything noodle dish i'll eat and if it's good for you then even better =)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Ya that's why I like the ones from the website, they don't have that really strong fish smell. I actually don't smell anything on them, but when I bought from the health food store here it was REALLY strong...like I was gagging. So I've never bought from anywhere else ever since. haha
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I made a nifty soup today with the noodles, it wasn't bad, but was really pretty low in calories. :)
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these before, but hey, worth a try right?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    If your a noodle lover, ya I think so. Thats what I did, I figured worst case...i bought some, tried them...and if I didn't like them I don't HAVE to eat them lol. But they worked out pretty good for me.