Breakfast shakes!

Options
Hello boys and girls!
I decided I'm tired of the regular solid breakfast or the morning cereal and milk stuff, so I wanna switch it up to shakes and smoothies!
Do you guys have any reccommendations? Perhaps those powder stuff? I'll try to find where can I buy those if anyone suggests :) (I'm not from the USA\Canada currently, will be there soon!) And if not, receipes? Anyone?
Thanks alot!

Replies

• Fitfabchic29
    Options
    Beachbody makes a protein powder called Shakeology and my shipment came this afternoon and I'm so excited to try it!

I really love protein shakes & I love adding either peanut butter or almond butter to them. Oh and banana is good too if you have a chocolate flavored protein powder

I can't think of another brand on the top of my head. The one I was using before got discontinued.
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey there! You mentioned "powder stuff" - were you referring to the protein powder that a lot of people put in their shakes to make them more filling? If so, this is my personal favorite: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYIZHQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Very yummy!

As far as recipes go, my favorite breakfast smoothies are green smoothies, because I feel like it's just such an effortless way to get some extra nutrition first thing in the morning, especially since I'm not a fan of a lot of green leafy veggies. My go-to shake is 6oz frozen vanilla yogurt, a tablespoon of peanut butter (I use PB2 to cut back on calories when I don't want to make the sacrifice, but it isn't quite as tasty as real PB to me), one frozen (chopped-up) banana, a cut-up apple with the peel off, a splash of skim or almond milk, and then I'll just fill the blender the rest of the way to the top with baby spinach leaves. You can't taste the spinach at all when it's masked by the banana and PB, but it adds that little bit more nutrition. :) I'll throw in protein powder sometimes, though I skip it more often than not. Oh, and when I'm really hungry that early in the morning, I dump in a serving of quick oats (usually cinnamon/spice flavored). It adds a lot of bulk/weight to the smoothie, and while it makes the texture a little strange until you get used to it, it's a surefire way to keep myself full and happy until lunch. :) That recipe will usually yield two smoothies for me. Hope this helped!
  • Fitfabchic29
    Options
    I will let you know how I liked the Shakeology tho
  • tinyzombie
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to clarify, but I've been using the French Vanilla flavor of that protein powder, and it is SO GOOD. Sometimes I want to just add it to everything because it's so yummy. Now I'm thinking, I wonder if it would be suitable to use in place of non-fat creamer in my coffee... hmm!
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks alot!

tinyzombie, omfg that sounds yummers! I'm in on that! I only gotta get the banana and spinach.. and skim milk (my family doesn't eat spinach and only drinks 3% milk >: )
    and I'll try to see if I can get that powder where I live :)

what is french vanilla tho? I only know about the french vanilla drink from vending machines, and the one time I tried it I didn't like it.. I usually like the heavy chocolate taste ^^"

edit: can't decide! double rich chocolate or chocolate mint? bothare my fave flavours..
    edit2: amazon doesn't ship to Israel -.-' and I can't find this here other than capuccino, cookies and vanilla flavours for twice the price =\
  • tinyzombie
    Options
    Hmm, I don't even know how to describe french vanilla... I mean, it's vanilla, but better! I'm actually really terrible at describing tastes, I'm sorry! :( But double rich chocolate sounds BOMB, I mean omg, I might need that now. :'D The mint could be good, but I'm not sure about it mixed with banana... but if you try it, let me know! :D
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I tend to use my juicer in the morning, and when I want a "shake" I just blend the juice with some protein powder and milk. I don't really care for any of the pre-made ones I've ever tried.
  • lmuraida
    lmuraida Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything but shakeology is just downright GROSS! Let me know what you think because I was wanting to try it for a very long time and finally purchased it and sooo sad that is tastes soooooo bad.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i love over night oats for a quick nutrionally dense breakfast!! here are some good starter recipes:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

and now i am starting to play with adding protein powder and now pumpkin puree for the fall! yum yum!!
  • lmuraida
    lmuraida Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything but shakeology is just downright GROSS! Let me know what you think because I was wanting to try it for a very long time and finally purchased it and sooo sad that is tastes soooooo bad.
  • KMiYong
    Options
    thanks gals!
    Hmm, I don't even know how to describe french vanilla... I mean, it's vanilla, but better! I'm actually really terrible at describing tastes, I'm sorry! :( But double rich chocolate sounds BOMB, I mean omg, I might need that now. :'D The mint could be good, but I'm not sure about it mixed with banana... but if you try it, let me know! :D
    mint+chocolate+banana? it's the best taste ever, trust me. switch the bananas with strawberries and you're in heaven! I bet the shake will have the same effect as the chocolatemint bars do :P
    sadly I can't try cuz they don't sell it here, and if they do the prices are absolutely terrifying..
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Just over a month ago .. I bought a NutriBullet. It has been wonderful .. I make smoothies every day. I usually go with some baby carrots, yogourt, a banana and some frozen fruit.

The NutriBullet makes everything liquid .. and you can drink some healthy fruits and veggies this way.

Just another option for you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Most people mix it with something to make it taste better, which of course makes it even more expensive in the end. The *only* way I can have the chocolate kind not taste like @$$ is by using milk and peanut butter, for example. But, the right chocolate protein powder tastes even better with those ingredients for hundreds less price.
  • KMiYong
    Options
    Hey there! You mentioned "powder stuff" - were you referring to the protein powder that a lot of people put in their shakes to make them more filling? If so, this is my personal favorite: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYIZHQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Very yummy!

As far as recipes go, my favorite breakfast smoothies are green smoothies, because I feel like it's just such an effortless way to get some extra nutrition first thing in the morning, especially since I'm not a fan of a lot of green leafy veggies. My go-to shake is 6oz frozen vanilla yogurt, a tablespoon of peanut butter (I use PB2 to cut back on calories when I don't want to make the sacrifice, but it isn't quite as tasty as real PB to me), one frozen (chopped-up) banana, a cut-up apple with the peel off, a splash of skim or almond milk, and then I'll just fill the blender the rest of the way to the top with baby spinach leaves. You can't taste the spinach at all when it's masked by the banana and PB, but it adds that little bit more nutrition. :) I'll throw in protein powder sometimes, though I skip it more often than not. Oh, and when I'm really hungry that early in the morning, I dump in a serving of quick oats (usually cinnamon/spice flavored). It adds a lot of bulk/weight to the smoothie, and while it makes the texture a little strange until you get used to it, it's a surefire way to keep myself full and happy until lunch. :) That recipe will usually yield two smoothies for me. Hope this helped!

I swear to whatever there is to swear to, this shake is the best thing I ever tasted!!! I didn't have frozen vanilla yoghurt so I used a pain 0% one and 1% milk
    yumm ! I'mma get more spinach and stuff once I can so I have this shake almost everyday! :D
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    I use protein powder with vanilla flavor. I mix my shakes with a banana and frozen berries. Better than any milkshake!