"The pounds are coming off SO SLOW ...discouraging."

Options
An MFP sister who is just getting started posted these words to me, "The pounds are coming off SO SLOW that it is already discouraging."

I was going to just respond to her...in the middle of another post...BUT THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT to limit to a response that only few might read. Too many folks come to MFP or try some diet and get discouraged TOO QUICKLY. That's why, I decided to make this response into it's own blog.

Here is my response to the statement, "The pounds are coming off SO SLOW that it is already discouraging."

I have lost 80+ pounds, Sis; but I have had to go through small plateaus almost every month. Some of those plateaus may last for a few days, a week and occasionally even longer. February was horrible with only 2 pounds lost for the whole month. I checked with my doctor and my nutritionist; and together, we agreed to reduce my calorie intake per day to 1,000 calories...again. Yes, I had upped my calories to 1,200 per day. With my very sedetary life style, I could not lose weight on that high number.

More recently, I try Intermittently Fasting...eat all my calories in an 8 hour period. That also worked for while and helped me to get kick started again after a plateau. The one thing that I had to do was simple...DON'T GIVE UP...DON'T BINGE, just because things aren't happening fast enough.

Losing weight is NOT an overnight thing. There is often a fast drop in the beginning which can be misleading. All of us want to lose a bunch of weight as fast as possible; but it just doesn't happen that way, unless you have done something drastic, like gastric surgery. That surgery works quickly, but there are too many cases of people regaining the weight and being left with the complications/side effects of that surgery.

What we are doing (counting calories, making healthier food choices, increasing our activity level, thinking before just eating) can seem boring and slow and frustrating at times. It certainly wasn't something that I did happily at any time during my life. I was total binge eater, except I binged every day...all day and into the night. That's how I got to be 280+ pounds.

Last October, all I wanted to do was drop a couple of pounds to impress a surgeon. I was dumbfounded, when he said that I had to lose 70 pounds in order to 'qualify' for my much needed knee surgery. I'm sure that I was in denial of what it would take to accomplish that monsterous goal. I couldn't conceive of being on limited calories, even eating healthy food at that time. It took me most of month just to decide what I was WILLING TO DO to meet that goal.

I started by giving up DIET COKE. Yes...zero calorie coke. That may sound silly, but I washed down all my ice cream, candy bars, salty snacks and fried food with Diet Coke. That one 'food/drink' was associated with ALL my eating, especially junk food.

Then, I went to Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-laws home and ate a limited calorie, low fat meal...chosen from a banquet size feast. I couldn't believe it. I actually made it through Thanksgiving without pigging out.

I SURVIVED the holidays by NOT EATING normal food. I forced myself into a food plan of supplement bars and shakes. Fortunately, my wise doctor recommended that I "include regular food" into food plan. At that point, MFP and counting calories came into my life. The incredible friends (mostly female) who I call Sisters gave me the wisdom, love and encouragement to get to where I am now.

You are at the beginning. You are looking for instant results, but it just doesn't happen that way. I have passed my surgeon's goal and am now looking to a bigger goal...a new life as a normal size woman.

You are looking down what seems like a 'long road', while I am looking back to you and saying, "Come on, Sis. Just put one foot in front of the other, and the miles will fade away. Take one meal at a time, and you will be here soon enough. It will take a while, but every day puts you closer to your goal."

Don't get discouraged...get committed to your new life style...your new way of eating. Set smaller, mini goals to reach. That will make the road ahead seem shorter. Each small goal reached will be something to celebrate.

If I can do it, so can you. I promise. :wink:

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this is awesome!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That was a beautiful response.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Such well said words. It is exactly what we have to do to reach our goals. Besides if they come off slow that means we have had to think what we are doing and it will stay with us the rest of our lives. They are learned habits.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've lost and found the same 15kg innumerable times over the last 15 years. I started again recently, above my 2011 start weight: which I'm not going to change because it's there to remind me of how little I've actually achieved.

I think I have finally learned that dieting is not about missing out, suffering, lacking, losing... it's not about losing weight.

It's about keeping it off. I want to know that I weigh less on the scales because I am using up spare fat. Not because I've lost fluid, or food in my gut by starving, but that I have actually used up spare fat.

So for me now, I'm no longer in a hurry. More haste less speed, as it were. The trick is to lose the kilos sooooo quietly that they don't realise you've ditched them, and show up on your doorstep with all their mates.
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    couldn't have said it better. I tell people I'm on the eat less move more diet when they ask what magic way I am takeing off weight. I am just a beginner and you encourage me every day.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just love your posts and always learn something when I read them!

Thank you for reminding me to "look behind" to see how far I have come...
  • latoldy
    latoldy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As usual your post come at the perfect time for me! I was feeling a bit discouraged this past week. There is so much conflicting information out there that it can be a bit confusing. Is my weight loss as fast as I want it to be? No. Do I feel better? Yes.

You are an encouragement to so many of your sisters. Thanks for always being an encourager to me! You are a blessing to the many women, including myself, who consider you a sister. Thanks for your willingness and dedication and for allowing us to call upon you for help from time to time. Each tomorrow is a new day to make healthy choices that will eventually lead to our success. I will not give up on myself and believe that each little goal reached is one step closer to success. Thanks Sis!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I can understand what you are saying. I used to drink Diet Pepsi .. and on many many days I used to just drink Diet Pepsi and consume no food at all. I just thought that I would get skinny by eating nothing and just drinking Diet Pepsi. Well guess what .... I didn't lose a pound. I stayed at the same weight.

Well I have seen the light .. and I am now eating a healthy diet (at least as healthy as I can manage at this point). I am happy with the changes I have made, but boy I can definitely understand what that pop does to you.

Great thread.
  • KhalilahSS
    KhalilahSS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    couldn't have said it better. I tell people I'm on the eat less move more diet when they ask what magic way I am takeing off weight. I am just a beginner and you encourage me every day.

I love that saying: I'm on the eat less move more diet. Thank you Nita! Thank you Sue!
  • Hiccup62301
    Hiccup62301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well said! I am honoured to be a sister and walking along side you. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Some of the best common sense words of wisdom I have heard. I usually avoid the regular community boards because of all the negativity and haters. I am a nutritionist and even i was in denial of the need to lose 50 pounds. My friends and family gasp! 50? no....you mean 30. NO!! 50! I am no longer in denial about that AND the fact that a very low calorie diet is a viable option for some people. I tried to squeeze into what a normal TDEE was for years. Guess what? It is ok if your TDEE doesnt match MFP. If 1000 calories a day is what works for you to take 1/2 pound a week average off then THAT is your number.

Stay the course....It will happen and BE PATIENT!!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oh.....and intermittent fasting works. 5:2 diet is a GOD send!!
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring!!!! Thanks for being my friend. I enjoy your blogs and elegant writing style. You have a knack for getting to the heart of it.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the beautiful post.
    Goosebumps this side! But its so good to be reminded of this.

:flowerforyou:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such an amazing post. I'm glad I'm one of those on your friends list and everyday you put me to shame by how hard you work.

It is a hard long journey but it is well worth it and as you say it starts with a single step.
  • giftysales
    giftysales Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great posts. Impatience is such a diet killer. I too have been so discouraged by the slow process of weight loss. I did drop 5 pounds the first week and then nothing the next two! Any advice is welcome. Frustrated but encouraged in CA.
  • mrscool5
    Options
    Whenever I feel like I'm not really doing all that well, or feel like I've been "really bad" one day.......I think about what "really bad" meant just a few months ago, before I started again for the 99999999th time. This time around I feel like I finally found something that clicks for me and I have finally changed habits. I've only been trying to 20 years so I guess it's about time!!!

Even when things slow down, which they always do, I'll remind myself of "used to be."