Lose more weight after I go over my calories?

Options
I have noticed that if I go over my daily calories by 100-200, I lose weight faster than if I eat under my daily calories. Does that mean that I need to up my daily calories by 100-200? What could be causing that? Seems weird to me...

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Bump up the calories by 200 and enjoy the extra calories!

It's all estimates....
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body needs more food. Up your cals!
  • That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. Thanks!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at a healthy deficit to lose weight so it STAYS OFF!! You're body is saying "I love when you feed me healthy, normal amounts of food, and I'll repay you by stabilzing at a normal weight". LOL

Here's the calcualtor I use to figure out my TDEE (close to 2300 cals/day). http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

As long as you're accurate about your activity level, it seems pretty bang on within 50 or so calories.

If you still have a bit to lose then you can go with a 15-20% reduction. I only have 11 pounds to go, so the closer you are to goal, the smaller your deficit should be. I only eat about 100-200 calories under maintenance, so when I'm done it won't be such a shock to my system that I'm eating normally again.

Best of luck and enjoy all the food! :)
  • Mrsorchidgrower101
    Options
    Are you exercising? I'm on a 1200 calorie diet but I am to exercise 30 minutes a day. I keep track of the calories burned and post them on my exercise page and the calories you burn, say your burned 80 that day, that automaticly gives you 80 more calories more to eat that day. It automaticly adds those calories to your food page. That didn't make sense to me either but I called my Dr. who is working with me only to find out I wasn't eating enough because I wasn't eating the calories I burned. And if you are under eating the calories your allowed including the ones you burned than your body can go into starvation mode and then you will gain weight. I don't know how it works but it does work. Also the exercising probably builds our metabolism up which is to our favor. I walk on the treadmill some days and that tracks my calories burned or I plan tennis or bowling on the Wii and if you put in our minutes that you did those activities it automaticly calculates the calories burned. The treadmill I have to put the minutes in and then change the calories burned because they have a different kind of machine listed which apparently is a more difficult workout so I just change their calories to what my treadmill said. My Dr. said I can break up my exercise to 10 minutes 3 times a day or 2 15 min sessions or do all 30 at one time. But not less than 10 minutes at a time. I hope this helps you.
  • I started out at 1320 calories and I lost a lot at first but then I stopped losing. I decided to change my activity level because I read somewhere that you should only use sedentary if you are in a coma. I changed it to lightly active to be on the safe side and that upped my calories some but I still didn't lose any weight. I decided after some research to up my calories to 1510 and have been steadily losing since up until a couple weeks ago. I use my UP band to track my activity and it seems to be pretty accurate. Thanks for all the support everyone!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This week I upped my cals to 1600 and was utterly STUNNED today to see a 2lb weight loss since YESTERDAY. What the hell...

I think as my TOM is almost over I actually lost weight over the week and never realised and now the water is coming off. But wow. I was at 1200 for 2 months and lost well until I completely stalled. I have been upping by 100 a week and now 1600 seems to be my current sweet spot.