Think You Are Too Big For c25k? That's What I Thought. Too.

Options
This probably could have gone in to the Success Stories part, however, my true success story will come once I am at goal. I really just want to use my experience to help motivate someone to try something new.

I always thought running was for people who were already in shape, over at very least, not fat. At 5ft 4in, 235 pounds, how was I going to run, or even jog, when I get winded going up a flight of steps? I had heard a little about the Couch to 5K program and read how it was a gradual build up of endurance and could take a couch potato (ME) to running a 5K. Right.

The last week in June, I thought “What the heck. I’ll give it a shot. The worst that will happen is I will suck at it and go back to random workout videos on YouTube.”

So I tried it. Day 1 includes a 5 minute walk and then jogging for 60 second intervals. Funny joke. I couldn’t make it the 60 seconds. I made it between 30-35 seconds each time before I was panting, drooling, nose running, and my legs wouldn’t go anymore. I would continue walking until it was time to jog again, and end up being done just as quickly the next time. By the time I got done, I was hot, sweaty, dizzy, and sick to my stomach. That went well.

Week 1 Day 1
235lbs
Waist: 49 inches
Hips: 50 inches
Thigh: 31 inches

But I kept going. Day after day, week after week.

Week 5 freaked me out. I was able to do Day 1, which has you jogging for 5 minutes at a time. Trust me when I say I was VERY impressed at myself for being able to do that when just a few weeks ago I couldn’t even go 1 minute. Then I did Day 2. It wasn’t until I had already started that I realized it wanted me to jog for 8 minutes…oh no. I can’t do that! But I DID.

Week 5 Day 3. Brisk 5 minute walk, then jog 20 minutes with no walking. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I went out. I tried my best. I came home and told my husband to guess how far I made it. “Ten minutes?” Nope. “15?” Nope. I MADE IT THE ENTIRE 20 MINUTES!!!! Wahoo!!!!

Now, by no stretch of the imagination was I fast. But I did it. Slow and steady doesn’t always win the race, but it does finish it. That was the turning point when I realized that I can do this. I can’t give up now. I just went from jogging 30 seconds to jogging 20 minutes in a month. I was so thankful that I had decided to give it a shot, even though I was embarrassed at how poorly I did at first, and even more thankful that I kept going. "You don’t know what your limits are until you push them." How true that is, but until now, I was never one to push limits.

I just finished week 7. There is one week left, and as much as I thought I should wait until it was completed to share this, I just couldn’t. I have no doubt in my mind that I will finish week 8. I am so impressed and proud of myself, and I just want you to know that if I was able to come this far, and prove so much to myself, anyone can. I just kept telling myself over and over as I was going "You don't have to go fast, you just have to go. This isn't about speed, it is about endurance. Go at a pace that is challenging but not so hard that you die with ten minutes to go."

There isn’t a TON of changes within my body, but as I already mentioned, my endurance is much better. And my CONFIDENCE. Wow. I have always had super low self esteem. For the first couple weeks of this program, I wouldn’t jog at all if there was a person, a house, or a vehicle within my line of sight. I was so afraid someone would see me and laugh at me, call me names, go tell their friends “Haha I saw this fat girl trying to jog and it was so funny!” Literally even just the thought of someone witnessing my attempts at exercising brought me to tears. By the end, I barely noticed when people went by and even had a few brief interactions with others who were out walking/biking. I will be honest, I did have a couple people stare, and one person did yell something incoherent at me. And yes, it did bug me. But the amazing thing is that it didn’t bug me enough to make me stop. And for anyone who knows me, that is a HUGE accomplishment.

Week 8 Day 1
Weight: 221.2
Waist: 46 inches
Hips: 48 inches
Thigh: 30 inches

Sorry I was going to include photos, but my camera is being a piece so I can't get any After shots.

Replies

• taro1971
    Options
    Love it! I am going to sign up for a 5k in Dec, but I keep putting my C25k off. I walk 5k every other day but I just am scared of running/jogging. I did the first day ok, but I feel like I'm running so slow and AWKWARD . Thanks for posting this--I am going to push through and be ready for my Dec 5k!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I did the first day ok, but I feel like I'm running so slow and AWKWARD . Thanks for posting this--I am going to push through and be ready for my Dec 5k!

Haha don't worry, I am also slow and awkward but it feels less awkward the more you do it.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thats awesome! I have it on my phone, but i haven't done it yet.. I started running about a month ago, but i'm running and jogging and walking at uneven paces.. i'm going to start the c25k this week.. :) keep up the good work!:)
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ninjakitty419 you are an inspiration! I plan on starting c25k soon. I hope I have your success.
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot like me when I first started running a couple of years back. I found out that most of those people that I was embarrassed to run in front of actually were nice and encouraging. Runners I have encountered are excited that a new person has decided to try their sport. I am still not very good, but I am constantly being encouraged by those that are much better runners. (Yes, I now have runner friends!). Get out there and enjoy the benefits. Good luck on your race!
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ninjakitty419 you are an inspiration! I plan on starting c25k soon. I hope I have your success.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have started the C25K program so many times but I have never gotten past a couple of days. I am like you were, I am so worried about what others will say about this "Fat" woman trying to run. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter but so far I haven't been able to get past that. But today I am going to try again because I really want to be a runner. Maybe one day I will make it, one day at a time.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! You inspire me! I have been wanting to start C25K, but I'm afraid. Not sure why- I am at my lowest weight in a long time- 165. I should be able to do it and get off these last 5 or so lbs...thanks again, you are amazing.

-Kendra

Edited to add- I have lost a lot of weight and still am "flabby". Feel like it's all going to be jiggling! LOL
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, you are right to feel such pride and acheivement!
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome - I keep pushing my exersice aside, and today I will start this :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i so want to do this. but ive got a few more pounds to lose first.
  • k1o2r3i4
    k1o2r3i4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I've been meaning to start this before the snow comes! I'm almost done the 30 day shred, then I will start incorporating this. Thanks for the motivation!
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's really impressive!
  • NHoughton13
    Options

Slow and steady doesn't always win the race, but it does finish it.

I love this^^ I started Couch to 5K and did better than I thought I would, but slacked off. Perhaps I'll dust it off and try again.

Way to go, you have every reason to be proud!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    That's is great and you are awesome not only for doing it....but for posting it! I hope others continue to post these messages of encouragement to others so everyone realizes that the c25k program is for ANYONE wanting something more :) I was 204 at 5'3" when I started and I huffed and puffed in the beginning and ran/walked someplace where the least number of people could see the "fat girl" attempting to run. I also kept with the program, completed it, bridged to 10k, and now can run 7 miles (my longest run thus far)....most importantly this fat girl fell in love with running. It is a great stress reliever and a great way to drop pounds and build up your endurance.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this and for everyone who keeps reminding others that they can do it. Each person who posts about their success helps others find the inspiration and motivation to try it too and they won't regret it.

Congrats!!!!!!
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! I thought I was too big to start too, but now into week 3 and I'm shocked that I'm able to do it. You are truly an inspiration!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Awesome success story! I'm actually starting C25K week 5 today! A little nervous? You bet I am, but I'm going to try my best!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this today! I am on Week 1 Day 3 and really needed some motivation. I have been looking ahead at the schedule and thought I was wasting my time. I just couldn't see being able to jog 20 straight minutes in just a few weeks time. NOW I have a better outlook. So THANK YOU!! :flowerforyou:
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! I'm so proud of you for pressing on! It's so hard to get started, then, even harder to keep going. I cant wait for the pics! Good for you!