Ive lost 7 Stone......scared to put weight back on though!!

Options
Hiya - this is my first post on here, however i have been using the Fitnesspal App since i started dieting - April 12th 2010 ( 6 Months ago ). I have lost 7 Stone 8/10 pounds - starting at 20.10 Stone (first weigh in) and now around 13 stone. I am feeling alot healthier, much more active and fitter and leaner.

I have worked super hard for the last 6 months and never expected to get down to such a low weight, but as i kept reaching goals (19 stone,17 stone, then 15 stone) i wanted to keep going and have done. However, i am now in fear of putting on weight due my inner thoughts that if i was to eat around 2200-2500 calories my body will gain weight, even though deep down i know thats what my body should consume.

I am still eating very healthy - with lots of Fruit, Veg, Turkey and Fish in my diet, which leads to a maximum calorie intake normally of around 1500-1800 and i exercise 3/4 times a week. I have been having a cheat day - which normally happens on a Saturday where i normally treat myself to a meal out, takeaway or sweets and i have read many articles in the health industry which state it is good to have a "Cheat" or "Fatty" day..............

.............but i am so worried during the week that i may put on weight if i was to eat 2000 calories a day, the reason why?? My body has been able to survive and lose weight by eating less and in my head its as though if i up my calories it will put on weight? For example, i treated myself to a piece of apple crumble and custard this week once after dinner, and yet even though still being 500-800 calories under my limit for the day i start to feel guilty.

Any advice, support, opinions would be welcome.......i have worked so hard to feel the best i have ever and weigh less than i did when i was 19,18,17,16 (im now 23) and i dont EVER want to go back to 21 stone.

Thanks

Replies

• squishyfishy
    Options
    Firstly congratulations thats an amazing loss!

I think everyone panics about piling the weight back on again once they have reached target and although I never lost as much as you I pretty much managed to maintain for nearly 2 years opnly piling on a stone once my wedding was out of the way. I found that my lifestyle didn't really change foodwise after I hit target and I just made small changes to the way I ate and cooked.

Instead of eating more you can disguise your cals in the meals you are eating, add the full fat versions of things to your recipes and don't always buy things like fat free yoghurts. Treating yourself is important but it is hard to do without guilt at 1st, this will get better, its kind of like when you started dieting and had to get used to eating different foods but it really does get better once you see that it is possible. Its a big adjustment (like actually picking up the right size clothing in shops, I still went to the 18/20 rail when I was a 14 for ages!) but you will get your head round it. Don't be so tough on yourself for finding it hard.

Good luck with your maintainance, with your determination you'll be fine.
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well done! Amazing weightloss. When I got to my goal weight I felt similar, it's a big change so quickly. What I did was slowly increased my calories over I'd guess about a month. I increased by about 100 calories or so, then waited to weigh-in and see what a difference it made, then after a few more days added another 100 calories or so. I basically carried on doing this until I was at my maintenance calorie allowance and my weight settled within a couple of lbs either way. I don't know what other people do, but I felt it might be a bit of a shock to my body if I suddenly went from 1200 calories a day to close to 2000, so figured it would be better to steadily increase my calorie allowance, thereby giving my body and also, importantly, my mind a chance to readjust.
    Hope that helps.
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    P.s. re: squishyfishy's post

Adding full-fat or higher fat versions of what I'd been eating while on 1200 calories is one way I added more calories too, so I'm not trying to add more food or bigger meals as such. Just adding more calories to meals.
  • andybaxta
    andybaxta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling pal, I have been a yoyo dieter for years taking 3 stone off putting 5 stone on etc

My plan is to continue using MyFitnessPal even when I reach my goal weight to continually monitor what I am eating, you need to get into your mindset that you are not dieting, you are eating normally and it was intake before that was not the normal for you. I would switch to weekly weigh-ins if you are doing more than that now and when you notice a few pounds go on, don't panic - have a few more 1500 days.

To be honest with the progress you have made and the amount of time you have sustained it, I would be surprise if you let it go now - just keep monitoring and enjoy your cheat days, but don't let them get to be too often.

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss - astonishing, I am 21 lbs down from 23St 8lbs, so have a LONG way to go, but have never felt better about a system for losing weight than using this application and hope to replicate your superb success!
  • gingajoy
    Options
    that is AMAZING! I can totally see why you're worried. I can't quite imagine 2,000 a day, but as we all know, it's very easy to find yourself cumulatively eating a lot more than that. But don't you feel like you are so much more in tune now with how your body works and burns off calories? Maybe you need to trust yourself a bit -- know that maintaining still means paying attention. It looks like Manuka is giving great advice to follow. You've made it this far -- this part should be completely achievable. Good luck, and let us know how it goes:-)
  • ryanbuckman
    Options
    Thank you all for comments and support.....it really helps - i think trusting myself is a good idea. I am much more aware of what i am consuming and i am not suddenlly eating rubbish foods, sat fat foods and crap so it is a case of trusting myself that i am eating normally but it wont suddenlly put on weight. Thanks
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am also in maintenance mode, so understand your concerns. For me, I entered my own calorie intake, rather than using the one MFP calculated for me (mine being lower). I now weigh just about every day to be sure my weight is not on a constant move up, as it does fluctuate up and down and I don't let that concern me; only if it moves up 4 days in a row do I stop and think about what I need to change. I am still eating healthy though now will allow myself a treat when someone have something to share (with moderation being key here). Guilt certainly is a part of it for me too, but I kind of like that I am not just eating food with abandon (like I used too) that I am still feeling accountable for what I do eat. I would just say you may want to not jump to 2000 calories a day right away, and edge yourself up based on your BMR.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    Well done! Amazing weightloss. When I got to my goal weight I felt similar, it's a big change so quickly. What I did was slowly increased my calories over I'd guess about a month. I increased by about 100 calories or so, then waited to weigh-in and see what a difference it made, then after a few more days added another 100 calories or so. I basically carried on doing this until I was at my maintenance calorie allowance and my weight settled within a couple of lbs either way. I don't know what other people do, but I felt it might be a bit of a shock to my body if I suddenly went from 1200 calories a day to close to 2000, so figured it would be better to steadily increase my calorie allowance, thereby giving my body and also, importantly, my mind a chance to readjust.
    Hope that helps.

I have read this is the best way to go about increasing your calories after losing. When I get there I shall increase slowly.