Think You Are Too Big For c25k? That's What I Thought. Too.

Options

Replies

• hmseals77
    hmseals77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started doing the c25K over the summer, but stopped. I have low self esteem issues as well and kept telling myself that I won't be able to do it, so I stopped. Plus, I do not like running in front of other people either, but I know that is something I have to over come. Thank you for sharing your story and for the inspiration! You are awesome!!
  • EnjoyYourJourney
    EnjoyYourJourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it's just what I needed to read. I have been wanting to start jogging for a while now and have been impressed with the positive results I've read about people using c25k. I am trying to lose weight and was thinking once I get xxlb's off I'll start running, however now I am gonna just get started. I am going to use my treadmill as I do have issues with a snapped ACL and I need to keep on level ground.
    Thanks and well done :smile:
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job!!! Simply amazing. I have started and stopped C25K a half-dozen times, so I admire someone who actually sticks to the plan. I started running (well, jogging. slowly) when I was still over 300 lbs. This Saturday I finished my first 5K by walking/running every other song on my ipod, At 270 lbs, I finished in just over 45 minutes. This is not remotely close to where I want to be, but I was thrilled with my progress. One year ago, I was struggling to walk a 5K, and I most definitely could not run more than a minute at a time. You can do this! You just need determination! Keep it up!
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats! That has definitely inspired me to continue with trying to become a runner lol I ran for 10 minutes straight the other day and was so proud :D Do you happen to know where I can get this plan your following?
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I also felt awkward and thought people would make fun of me when I ran because I was overweight. But I did it anyway --- and I made a point to smile and wave at other runners to make me feel like I was part of that group. No one has ever yelled at me but I would have waved and smiled at them -- hopefully they were yelling some encouragement. I did C25K and C210K before i ran my first 20K trail run race --- my shining moment during the race was when i was running in front of a gentleman and I asked him "don't you want around me -- I am really slow" and his response was "nope the pace and the view is just fine by me". I ran with him for about 5 miles during that race. I finished 3 minutes ahead of my goal!

Keep up the good work!
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me so happy! Congratulations!! It's such a good feeling to go from "I can't run" to "Yes I can!"
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this!! Congratulations on all your accomplishments, keep it up!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i am also overweight and today i did the 20 min run. yes you can do it !!
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This was AWESOME to read! My beginning stats were almost identical to yours. I started the program but never made it past week 3 (I think). This has me "rethinking" it - I should probably give it another try :-)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP. Damn good job sticking with it. What are you going to do now that you've worked through it? Work on distance or time?

I'm a bit shocked by the number of posters saying they are self-conscious about weight and running in front of other people. When I see someone running that is a bit heavier than what you would normally think is a runner, I think its a bit inspirational more than anything.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Keep it up!

I used the C25K to start running and that was when you had to use their pre-recorded music to do it. Thank God they changed that up so that you can now use your own music!
    On my iPhone I actually have a Running playlist! =)

Have fun!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thank you for posting.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am so glad that I have motivated people to keep going and/or start when they were hesitant. Go out there and ROCK THAT *kitten*!!
  • sguer56
    Options
    I loved reading this. I am a very big woman with one of my first fitness goals of running a 5K. I have looked at the c25k so many times but have never started it for fear of failure. I have trouble even briskly walking half that distance. Reading your post was very inspirational, and I hope to be able to say the same one day!
  • ContentedBeauty
    ContentedBeauty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I just did Week 3 Day 1 tonight. I wanted to stop during the 3 minute intervals but I didn't! You are an inspiration that I can keep going and I can do this!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Your body did make changed, but that confidence thing is more important because it can help you continue making changes. Way to go!!
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far! I was laughing as I read your post as I, too, started C25K back in May, having never run a step in my fifty years. And like you, I felt like my lungs were going to be expelled out of my mouth on day one! But four and a half months down the line, I'm running 5K twice a week and - dare I say it - I'm now thinking of UPPING my distance!!! Who'd have thought. And I've lost 43lbs so far, combining this with calorie-counting (only two pounds to my target now!)

Stick with the running.... the sense of achievement you get is fantastic. Well done :)
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Wow. I have the c25k on my phone and have been too nervous to try it. I am envious of ppl who can run far distances, just never see myself as a runner. My son who is 12 just signed up for "at your own pace" Cross Country at his school. Last night he said... mom you have that app on your phone can I use it. I think I am gonna do it with him. No.. I am going to do it with him. THANKS again for the motivation to try it! I will keep you posted.
  • michybeans
    Options
    That is so awesome!! CONGRATS!
    If it matters, whenever I see heavier set people out jogging or doing something else for exercise I think "Good for them" and admire them. I realize people might make fun of them - hell, I feel like people will make fun of me that way too sometimes cause I am not heavy, but jiggly! - and that it's very strong for them to continue.

I loved reading this - so inspiring! I am still hesitant to try running as I have very bad ankles/knees, but am contemplating trying this on the treadmill (cushier landing than pavement for joints). Now maybe I will :)

Thanks for sharing this awesome success story!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great story, I'm inspired!

I'm starting this tonight after I get home from work and change into some shorts! I already downloaded the app.

I've been walking 5-6 miles every day and it's gotten too easy (which is a NSV for me I guess). I've started just randomly running during my walks, and always feel like I look a little silly, but the humility will do me some good I think. I can never run very far (maybe 30-40s).

Even when I was a two-sport college "athlete" I was never very good at endurance running. If I caught you between the hash marks, you were dead, but running long distances was something I never did well.

I want to help coach the youth lacrosse team in the spring, and I don't want to be one of these out of shape coaches yelling at the kids to "run faster" as I waddle down the field. I want to be the one running next to them.

Thanks for posting!