Does anyone else allow themselves...

Options
"OFF" days?

Today was my first weigh in and I lost 3 pounds this first week!

Monday's are going to probably be my"off" days. But, not to off! I don't want to gain those 3 pounds back this week!

I was under my total calories all last week so, I am really going to try to at least get close to my total calorie allowance this week. I also plan to up my water intake this week and burn more calories at the gym!

Today, I am probably going to be just a little more lax. But, starting tomorrow back to being strict and "good"! Hubby and I plan to go to the gym this week Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or Sunday.

Believe me I am not going to be too "bad" today! I want to loose again this week too!

I just started this and I don't want to get off track too much!

Replies

• ShannaAutry
    Options
    I personally can't have an "off" day because I will go overboard and eat everything in the house.

I do take it one day at a time. I treat each and every single day as if it's the first day of my diet/lifestyle change.

I also celebrate the little NSVs along the way. For example, I ordered Chiplotle with the girls from work last week but, I opted for brown rice and passed on the cheese and sour cream. I was still able to enjoy my lunch, not feel guilty and still met my goals.

Little changes here and there help in the long run.

Feel free to add me! Best of luck on your journey.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't do "off" days. If I decide I want something, I usually have a little. Example: Last week I knew I was going to the movies, which means popcorn! So, that day I kicked *kitten* on my workout and did extra cardio! I was still WAY Under my calories.

I try and eat healthy most days. What did they used to say 80/20?! :-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend having an off day when you're only a week in. A better plan is to incorporate s few treats into your budget during the week so you don't feel deprived. Right now you need to get used to eating to plan and sticking with it.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I never have off days. I look at it like a lifestyle change, not a diet. So, I still eat things I use to if I have the alloted calories but in moderation. I plan on eating the way I do now, after I reach my weight goal but just at maintenence. :)
  • Jaided35
    Options
    I don't do "off" days. If I decide I want something, I usually have a little. Example: Last week I knew I was going to the movies, which means popcorn! So, that day I kicked *kitten* on my workout and did extra cardio! I was still WAY Under my calories.

I try and eat healthy most days. What did they used to say 80/20?! :-)

I do the same when I know I'm going to eat something I "shouldn't".
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't workout on Sundays and I usually have a 'cheat' meal.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I like the If It Fits Your Macros mentality. Since I can usually fit whatever I want into my daily calories (with a little extra exercise if needed), nothing is off limits and I don't need a cheat day. I regularly have candy, crackers and frozen yogurt. The key is portion control.
  • I always have one cheat meal a week but that meal is usually my favorite Mexican food dish because it is over 1200 calories ITSELF and really high in sodium but I know myself, if I don't allow myself to eat some of the stuff I love, I will never stick with it. I eat healthier for all my other meals that day so it kind of balances out but you have to remember that you have to have self control...
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I like the If It Fits Your Macros mentality. Since I can usually fit whatever I want into my daily calories (with a little extra exercise if needed), nothing is off limits and I don't need a cheat day. I regularly have candy, crackers and frozen yogurt. The key is portion control.

This exactly. In my opinion, allowing yourself to have an "off" day and eat whatever you want is a recipe for disaster. Instead of looking at food as "good" and "bad" I eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my macros (protein, fat, carbs, calories) for the day. You can do a lot of damage on an "off" day.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I did "off" days for quite a few years and was always disappointed in the lack of weight loss. When I started staying within my calorie range each day, that's when I really saw the weight come off steadily.

I went over my calories last night and was up this morning (lots of seafood=water weight) but still...every day prior I was seeing a downward progression.

This just cements my resolve to NOT do "off" days...
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't have "off" days really but I do have days where I don't get any good exercise in but I still stay under my calories or if I'm going to eat something naughty I workout harder that day. Either way I try to even it out so the past days of hard work weren't for nothing.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I typically don't workout or count calories on Sundays. I make sure to keep a mental note of what I'm consuming though and don't go overboard.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You've got to find what works for you. I personally have never had planned "cheat" (or "off") days or meals, I've always just tried to fit what I want to eat into my calorie allowance. Of course, there are days when I don't end up logging, or I know I've gone beyond my allowance because that just happens sometimes - Christmas, birthdays, unexpected meals out etc.

Some people will say don't have days without logging, others will say that it's helped keep them focused. Try it and see what works for you. Obviously, if you manage to wipe out your weekly calorie deficit with that one day, then you're going to find it difficult to meet your goals.

On a slightly different note, I think that there is a lot to be said for being relaxed about tracking, and learning to eat moderately without the structure of weighing/measuring/counting everything you eat. I have been tracking on MFP for over 18 months and maintaining my weight loss for nearly a year. One thing I have found difficult is letting go of the safety net of tracking. I'm fine with continuing to calorie count, but I have found that I don't cope too well with days where I can't track for some reason. I find it harder to eat moderately then, and I wish I'd spent more time while I was losing weight learning how to be more relaxed about the tracking. Not everybody experiences that, but it is something to bear in mind.

So, I think if you have an "off" day where you don't worry about what you're eating, and don't worry about counting everything, but you don't go overboard, and still eat relatively well (fairly nutritionally balanced, not eating huge portions etc) then it could be a good thing. It could help you learn how to eat well for the rest of your life. If you are generally very strict with your intake and then have an "off" day each week where you just mindlessly eat huge amounts of food, just because you can, then you could risk ruining your progress, as well as potentially develop an unhealthier relationship with food.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I allow myself off days as you call them, but I also know I can get right back to it the next day. However, it took me a good while to get to where I had the discipline to get right back to it, early in my changing I would get derailed for a few days if I let myself slip. You have to decide what you can handle. You should still log on your off days. The only way to know what you can truely expect for results is by looking at your numbers. I like to use the weekly bargraph on the phone app, it will give you an average of your whole week and that should be a pretty good estimate of what your weight loss should be like so you can get an idea of how your off day is effecting your weight loss. If you don't log it then you don't get to complain if you don't see the results you want.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a "free meal" on saturdays or sundays. I can perfectly not have it, is depends on my mood.

I believe that eating stuff you really like every once in a while, even when they are not the healthiest choices, not only keeps you sane, but helps you to really create a healthy eating habit. Knowing that you can have a huge burger today and tomorrow continue eating healthy is, for me, the best to know that my lifestyle and eating habits have really changed.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Monday's are going to probably be my"off" days.

DANGER That is a slippery slope. Off is off and it just leads to more off. And then you'll be wondering why you are gaining back the weight.

I feel you. I'd love to not have to journal or keep track. But, for me, one chip leads to another and then then next and. . .you know!

So, why not just plan to have a bag of chips or whatever it is you are longing to have on an "off" day. Count it, enjoy as part of a variety of food that also includes plenty of healthy choices. That way you can have your cake and eat it too!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Nope. No off days for this gal. If I want something, I eat it. I just track it and move on. For example, I had a burger and fries on Friday night. I journaled it and moved on. Taking "off days", in my experience, just leads to more "off days" until the "off days" out-number the "on days." It's just a slippery slope for me. Also, "on program" doesn't mean that you can't ever have the things you love. You just have to plan for them!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I take "off" days from exercise but log my food every day. I do on occasion when I have something going on allow myself to go up to maintenance calories.
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I sure enough do allow a somewhat off day! You kind of have to. However, I have noticed that since I have been doing this for almost a year now, the off days are far and few between. Water makes a world of difference, and so does working out!

Congrats on your 3 pounds! Good luck!
  • samammay
    Options
    Regular off days is why I need to lose 60 pounds (35 now!!!) I would normally eat pretty ok... but then have one day where I killed 5 or 6k cals.

That being said, I have an off weekend scheduled. First weekend away from the kids with my wife in 2 years in a good foodie city. Im not going to be intentionally bad, but I have no plans on making my numbers either.