transitioning from treadmill running to pavement?

Options
How hard is it to transition from running on a treadmill to running outside? Im being a weenie, I know.

Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just did this and the only tip or word of advice I would have is don't be discouraged if you can't go as long or as far as you can on the treadmill. Just do your best and you will transition into it and will eventually be able to get back to what you normally can do. Or maybe you will be fine! My only issue was that my feet hurt more on the pavement so it slowed me down.
    Best of luck, you will do fine! :flowerforyou:
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did my first pavement C25K session yesterday and it was harder.... and then I was disappointed because I the 30mins only covered 1.5miles when on the treadmill I was doing 2.5miles so felt I had let myself down... until someone pointed out that the treadmill is moving for you, while the ground is not... just like walking up an escalators is easier/quicker than walking up stairs!!!!

So now that I've recognised that fact, I think I'll find it easier mentally.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes! I'm not going to lie, it will be harder and it will probably hurt more but keep doing it and it will get better!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just go out and do it- don't plan to run as far or as long- stay a little more local.

But just go do it. only way you learn and get used to it is from time/repetition.

now... go forth and sweat my child.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I know, I just need to shut up and do it. Why is running outside so much more intimidating than running on a treadmill?!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um I have no idea- I hate running on the dread-mill. I only do it because I know once I get home I won't do it. But I don't really do cardio.

I like to drive to the park and run- or sometimes I'll run there- I"m shameful though- I literally will DRIVE the 1/4 mile to the park... I need that physical separation of leaving my house. it helps me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I actually found that running outside is much easier for me than running on the treadmill. Maybe because I am an outdoorsy type or maybe because I get so incredibly bored running on the treadmill. I don't even carry my MP3 player with me when I am running outside. I do take my dog, though.
  • upnorthgirl01
    upnorthgirl01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also found running outside much easier, especially on the knees. There was some intimidation about running outside, I think it was because people could see me working out and it took a while to be comfortable with that concept.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot, so I run on the treadmill all the time. I usually set it on the "Random" program (it goes up and downhill) at about a 10 min/mile pace. (Mostly because 30 minutes is all I can stand on the treadmill.) I just started running outside about 3 weeks ago and I find that I'm running faster than I was before. I used my car to measure 1.5 miles from home in 3 different directions, so I could get some different scenery every day. I'm going to bump it up to 4 miles/day next week. I couldn't imagine staying on the treadmill 10 minutes longer but with it being outside, I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck!
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Its harder there is nothing to help move you further. You will go slower and probably not as far. It might hurt a little more, when I started outside I had a little does if shin splints cause of the transition, calves hurt like crazy cause of the constent change in the road. Its awesome thought, you will never go back to a treadmil if you can help it!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I flip flop back and forth simply because I'm not always able to run when I get home but I am always able to run on my lunch break. I'm not familiar with the neighborhoods around my job so I don't go out there for fear of being late back to my desk.

For me running outside is harder ONLY because I try to go too fast. On the treadmill I can run at the same speed forever. So I had to start tracking my HR on the treadmill so I could mimic the range outdoors to keep my pace the same.

As far as distance on a treadmill there are a few factors. Yes the treadmill is moving you along. They also need to be calibrated from time to time. If you are using one in a gym they are probably not correct due to the amount of use they are getting.

I much rather run outside now. But there are times treadmills have their function.

ETA: In my experience asphalt is easier on my feet than concrete. So I tend to stay off sidewalks if at all possible.
  • kjg1965297
    Options
    found it to be a large change but I am used to it now. Stick with it but realize you won't go as far.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I did it! I ran 2 miles outside without stopping!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I did my first pavement C25K session yesterday and it was harder.... and then I was disappointed because I the 30mins only covered 1.5miles when on the treadmill I was doing 2.5miles so felt I had let myself down... until someone pointed out that the treadmill is moving for you, while the ground is not... just like walking up an escalators is easier/quicker than walking up stairs!!!!

So now that I've recognised that fact, I think I'll find it easier mentally.

Exactly this. Exactly.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did it! I ran 2 miles outside without stopping!
    Awesome...enjoy the views. You're not a weenie!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem - I only like to run outside and as it's getting darker out I'm going to suck it up and learn how to run on the treadmill. If you've been using incline on the treadmill that will help you transition. My trainer told me to use at least 1.0 incline on the treadmill both to make it more equivalent to running outdoors, and because it's easier on my hips for some reason. (He explained it. It made sense. I promptly forgot why.)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I did my c25k on a treadmill with 0 incline over the winter. When spring came and I started running outside it was certainly a challenge. Expect a reduction in how far you can run and/or how fast you can run it. But you'll soon build that back up again. Coming into fall I'm now running 10k outside.

Good shoes are a must, as someone has said, though hopefully you already have them.

Dress for the weather, but remember that you're going to feel 20 degrees hotter by the end of the run!

Warm up well. Do dynamic warmups, like knee raises, leg raises, walking lunges. Personally I walk for a quarter to a half a mile to my starting points, and after walking normally for a few hundred yards I'll do a knee raise, leg raise, or lunge on every third step. I'll get more energetic as I reach the start point, and by the time I'm there I'm loosened up and my heart rate is up a little.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the other thing about a treadmill is that you arent propelling your body forward, you are just keeping up with the belt under your feet. so when you strike the ground when running you then have to move your entire body past your foot (granted inertia does part of the job, but not all of it) where as on the treadmill when you plant your foot the belt moves your foot behind you and you plant the other one.

that is why i think i was always able to go faster and further on a treadmill.

they say if you use a 1 or 2 % incline on a treadmill, its closer to running outside.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird but I find it easier running outside than on the treadmill...?
    I will actually get sore feet running on the treadmill and I don't outside. I really dislike the treadmill and will only use it when I absolutely have to.
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    outside running is so much different and really is slightly harder, but far more enjoyable. you're using different muscles, you're working harder because you're not just mindlessly stepping in place, you're really adapting to the surface type as well as inclines/declines and any turns that are in your path. not to mention, you've got weather conditions to work with, temperature, sunlight, etc.

i love running outdoors -- it's become hard for me to run on a treadmill anymore, in fact.

my advice: just get out there and do it. stretch well and pause when necessary. wave hello to other runners, watch out for dogs on long leashes that get in your way, and enjoy!