Weight Training???

Options
I'm not exactly new...been here before but I am starting over and trying to re-lose my weight. I'm working with a girl and we have been going to the gym together and she has lost 92 lbs. I've always heard that cardio is good for fat loss and good for your heart, I know that weight training is good in conjunction with cardio too....BUT this chick is trying to push me to only do weight training and no cardio. Maybe I'm wrong with wanting to do both (I'm 335 pounds). Just need some advice about how to go about this from people who have started at my weight and are at or pretty close to their goal weight. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio with a passion!!! I do love running though. I love lifting. I lift heavy weights three days a week, and when I don't, then I go running for 30 minutes. I'm currently doing 30 minutes of moderate walk post-workout (my trainer told me to do it) and I hate it!!!!
    I understand it's important to do some cardio since we have a lot of weight to lose, but cardio+lifting is, to me, the way to go. You build some muscles and lose some fat. When your muscles grow you burn more calories and fat.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cardio will give you a smaller version of the body you already have, weight training will transform the shape of you body. I think you should do both. I cut down my cardio and only do cardio 2 days a week and strength train 2 days a week, and have never seen such great run times. But it all boils down to what do you enjoy, if you don't like it, you won't do it.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The most important thing IMO is to do exercise that you truly enjoy and will continue long term. There are benefits to both resistance training and cardio, but neither is absolutely necessary to lose fat - and neither will hinder fat loss either. I certainly wouldn't let someone else pressure me into giving up an activity if I enjoyed it.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I don't mind cardio so much at all, I love the elliptical. i also know that I need to lift so that I can burn more calories and be toned. i just felt like I had been given a little wrong information about just going with weight training.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You'll find umpteen blogs, articles and forum posts that will extol the virtues of one over the other as if what they're saying is the written word of God Allmighty. Just as you'll find an equal amount stating the exact opposite.
    The one true fact can cannot be refuted is that moving and exercise will help with your weight loss journey. What type of moving and exercise is up for debate until the cows come home and no one is right or wrong until categorically, scientifically proven so.
    So choose something to like doing as you're more likely to stick with it, if you see positive results, then you're doing what is right for you and to hell with what anyone else says.