Chicken in a slow cooker

Options
Katherine1687
Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
Hi,

I have just bought a slow cooker but have not yet had chane to try iy out.

I am a bit confused about the length of time I shoud cook things for.

If I chuck in 6 chicken breasts with some sauce how long should I cook it for?

I am also looking for easy, not fussy recipies that take a long time to cook as I am out all day.

Thanks everyone

Luv Kat

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    Here is my guess... low setting 8 or more hours ... high 4- 6hours. But I am just guessing.
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Last week I cooked a whole chicken in my crock pot , that night I carved it and we had chicken with veggies. The next night I used the leftover broth and chicken added veggies and made some noodles to add on the side for them and they loooved my version of the chicken noodle soup.

To cook a whole chicken I oiled the outside of it with olive oil, you can slice up either apples or onions or both to stuff the inside with some cubed butter to give it a good flavor. Season it however you wish and throw any leftover onion slices on top. If you are making a stew or soup with any leftovers then add 3-4 cups of water, if not no worries the chicken will produce enough broth to keep it moist on it's own. The first few hours cook on high first thing in the morning when you get up (you can prepare it the night before and throw it in the fridge till the morning if that's easier) then before you leave home turn it to low and when you get home it will be ready and soooo yummy!

The best thing about this recipe is whole chickens and chicken leg quarters are usually quite inexpensive (I got mine on manager's special for $3) so if you make soup the next night with leftovers you can easily feed a family of four or so for 2 nights for less than $10!!! Good luck :wink:
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Hiya
    I normally cook chicken on high for 4-6 hours then low for another 2-4 and its always been fine.
  • monicawildonger
    monicawildonger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use the McCormicks Italian chicken for slow cookers. It tasted great and gave all the directions on the back. It used 2.5 lbs of chicken, some tomato paste and tomato sauce and some mushrooms. I think it was 6 hours. all the directions are on the pkg. Good Luck.
  • diannehardy
    Options
    I find the chicken breast can be very dry in the slow cooker..i find thigh fillets better to cook with and tastier too
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    they're probably dry because they're over cooked. I have a hard time with chicken breasts. 4 hours on hi is sometimes too long. and it isn't as moist as it should be.
  • cathy36
    Options
    you shpuld have gotten a book with your slow cooker that gives you recipes and also tells you howlong to cook things
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    I've just cooked a whole chicken in mine and I did it on high for 5hours and low for 2 and its lovely and moist and falling off the bone. I cooked it in 300ml of Thai beer a little bit of atock and some fish sauce and put a nice marinade between the skin and the meat. Can't wait to eat it in a few minutes
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually put chicken in by 2, and serve at about 6, so about 4 hours. I have never cooked any more than 2 chicken breasts, though. I have cooked whole chickens, but they are only about 3 or 4 Lbs (the same size as the little pre-cooked deli ones), but same rule, i stick it in around 1 or 2, and i serve at 6.
  • chrisd0201
    chrisd0201 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have one of the large Rival crock pots and I love to put a frozen turkey breast in it with a cup of chikcen broth and cook it overnight. It is moist flavorful and falls off the bone.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think I will try putting in a frozen chicken on low all day and see what happens.

I am gone for 10 hours at work and if I set my cooker for 2 hours on high, it will kick over to "warm" for the rest of the day and that usually works out just fine.