cardiac or weights

Options
Although I have lost thirty pounds, I still have at least 50 lbs to go. I have been to different weight loss centers through the years and they always poo poo the idea of strength training or toning until you get closer to goal. So, I'm wondering if I should continue to just do cardio for 20-30 more pounds and then start toning. Or if I should do both now. I gave 30 Day Shred a run through yesterday and did it okay, but then begin wondering if I should start that so early? I want to lose weight, but don't want a lot of saggy skin when I'm down to goal. I'm 57 years old, so I'm sure there will be some.... I'm not interested in bulking up -- just toning. So ladies, please, if you have been 50 or more pounds overweight let me know what type of exercise was best for you.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely do both! And don't be afraid you will 'build muscle', because as long as you are in calorie deficit that isn't going to happen. But you WILL make your muscles stronger and more metabolically active. I really don't know why you would be advised to wait until you have dropped more weight....?
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Strength training will help you burn calories at a faster rate than cardio alone. I'd say you should be doing some kind of strength training 2-3 times a week, even if you start small and just do some push ups and sit ups at home.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Pick up the weights now! I so happy that my arms are toning up nicely. I love weight training!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would pick up the weights now if I was you.

I have no idea why they would advise you to not.. that just baffles me.
  • Madhouseof5
    Madhouseof5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Both! I started lifting last week but wish I had started almost at the outset
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    To me this question is like asking Peanut Butter or Jelly?? There is nothing wrong with either item alone, but when you put them together the results are much better!!!

It isn't an either or situation. However, I'm firmly in the camp that says sooner rather than later. Don't wait. Start now!!
  • scarlettpower
    scarlettpower Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been having the cardio vs strength training with my friends a lot recently. Everyone seems to hold on to the myth that strength training is just an extra thing when it comes to working out and not that important. This is not true. Cardio is good for improving your stamina and heart strength which is a great thing but strength training not only burns calories while you are doing them BUT you keep burning calories even after you have stopped. Plus this fear that most women have of 'bulking up' isn't totally rational because even though it is possible for women to bulk up (we all know female body builders) its very hard because we don't have as much testosterone. More than likely what will happen when females do strength training is that we will become lean.

Here is an article that goes over the pros and cons of cardio and strength training:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts

You can also do a quick Google search of Cardio vs Strength training and see many articles that will give you the information you desire.
    Good luck on the rest of your weight loss journey :smile:
  • kikidee12
    Options
    Thanks, everybody!! I definitely will start adding weights! It's nice to hear it from people who "have been there done that"!!:smooched:
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would pick up the weights now if I was you.

I have no idea why they would advise you to not.. that just baffles me.

I think it's because weight loss centers typically focus on one thing - the number on the scale. They are not fitness experts or personal trainers and they want to be able to advertise that "So and so lost 40 pounds in X weeks on our program!!!" Newb gains such as they may be are not conducive to rapidly dropping numbers. ITA, there is no sensical reason why anyone should wait to strength train and the OP should start today.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I started back on this journey in January. Started lifting in mid-February, and still throw some cardio in, and while it has been a slow loss, I am happier now with the way my body looks now than ten years ago when I was 10-15 pounds lighter. :smile:

I wish I had figured out that strength training was FUN a long time ago. :glasses:

ETA: I wanted to get back to my weight (140-145) from ten years ago because I wanted to wear my wedding dress for our vow renewal in December. I put in on a couple weeks ago at 156 lbs, so I am not going to fuss about the number on the scale. although it DOES feel good when it goes down a little bit.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Definitely both! I do about half and half, 3 days/week cardio and 3 days/week weights
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Do both. Strength training will help insure that the weight you are losing is mostly fat. You'll definitely want to retain whatever muscle you currently have as that is easier to do than trying to build it back once it's lost. It's also great for increasing bone density and making you stronger which is awesome in and of itself.
  • kikidee12
    Options
    Thanks for the advise!!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yeh you guys are some kind of knowledgeable and they are absolutely right :)

DO BOTHx1000
    I wish I started with both when I started

*Also pro tip, start moisturizing your skin now. With Cocoa butter or bio oil or something to that affect now. It will help your skin recover from the weight loss drop. Trust me on this one :)