How do you get it back?

Options
I know what I need to do. I know that counting calories and staying in my calorie goal for the day will get me to where I need to be. I can't seem to get my motivation back at all. I started at 193 and got all the way down to 159 at one point, but I have been hovering around 165-166 for the past month or so and I know it's because I am making bad choices over the weekend. I just don't have that fire inside of me like I did before. I need to find it again because I still have 36 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.

During the week I do good. I make better choices, I workout, but lately it isn't with passion. On the weekends just forget it. I don't go way way over, but I am definitely going over.

How the hell do I get that passion to lose back? This is such a damn struggle. I can do better than this! I have come a long *kitten* way too (My real starting weight was 213)

Replies

• LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am so with you. I've been struggling with this same exact thing for a few months now after having done pretty well in the past. Hopefully we can both find that motivation and strength to get back on it full force soon.

Good luck!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You make that decision every day that you're not going to be the same person that you were, the same person that started this journey x number of days ago. It's going to be a *****, and you're going to be a fight with yourself at times.
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That has been my struggle as well. About two weeks ago, I said enough is enough and started focusing again. I do really well during the week but fall apart on the weekends (or when I am traveling for work). So the last two weekends, my focus has been on making better choices/portion control and trying to anticipate how to cope. I have also made sure I am staying active on the weekend --- at least one scheduled workout, walk the dog, ride my bike to run errands/lunch. It is really hard but I did see some success with the scale. My challenge will be to keep it up and not slide back into not paying attention on the weekends.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    For some reason, and I know this is weird, but I am not uncomfortable where I am at. I am definitely no where near goal, but I am not feeling huge and uncomfortable so my mind plays with me "Ohhhhhhh a cupcake sundae as a treat isn't going to make you gain 10 pounds". I need to stop feeling comfortable and start feeling passion to lose again.

I am going to go out and have a good workout today.

I am going to keep trying to regain my focus. Eventually it will come back, right?

P.S. Cupcake Sundae's do exist. We went to Sprinkles Ice Cream yesterday and they cut one of their cupcakes in half and put a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Dear God, it was good. <---- Problem right here.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Get tired enough of being fat.
  • lina1131
    Options

That's the problem. I am not as fat as I was and I am not uncomfortable. BUT, I am not at goal either so I need to keep on keeping on.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you browse through the before/after pics on here and see all the people on here who have lost all that weight and kept it off it will motivate you? I know when I see someone who was way more overweight than me who not only lost the weight, but got in awesome shape and ripped I think wow, if that guy can do it, why can't I? What's my excuse?

I sometimes watch various motivational type videos on Youtube late at night before bed. I like watching the one about Arnold and his time in the military before his first bodybuilding competition. The guy had relentless drive to achieve his goals, just listening to stories like that make me think if that guy went against all those odds, what's my problem?

I think the hardest part of weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight is complacency. You start off strong at first, determined, gung-ho about it all. Then as you lose weight and start to look/feel better you start to think, well I look pretty good now, maybe I dont need to lose that last 10-15 lbs, I should reward myself with some sweets and loosen up with the calorie counting and everything. That's when it gets its foot in the door, and then after a few months, you've put another 10-15 lbs back on! I think if you can keep complacency at bay and perhaps re-evalulate your goals and make some new fun short-term goals, it will keep you motivated and keep things fresh and new like when you first started off. I know that's what I'm goign to try this time around because I'm tired of working hard to lose 20-30 lbs only to gain it all back again by getting complacent.
  • Bushin
    Options
    Well hopefully as a group/team we can find the answer to this very important question. I too am trying to regain my motivation and that's why I am back to using My Fitness Pal. I have to do something.

Maybe all we need to get motivated again is to not look for a quick fix and to definitely not beat ourselves up about having put on weight. Think back to how happy you were to be your present weight when you first started losing weight. That is what I am trying to do. To remember just how pleased I was with myself for having lost 40 pounds to reach my present weight. Once I get back on the happy bus with myself I will take the rest of the journey down to my goal weight. It is true that it would have been better to stay at my lower weight but hey, I'm not perfect with weight issues yet....and that's ok.

If we look at the loss we have maintained and take it from there instead of moaning about how terrible we are for having dropped the ball( I tend to do this), maybe, just maybe we will be back losing weight and being happy with ourselves.
    I need to like myself a little more at this point. I find that if I beat myself up or feel negatively about myself, I do not act positively, rather I eat more because why not?

I know I will lose weight if I try each day to get dressed nicely and make sure my hair is the way I like it and that my nails are trimmed and maybe polished etc. If I feel good about myself and take care of those things I can easily manage, I have a chance to get back on the weight-loss bus but...... if I feel like a fat slob, that is how I will behave.

So let's agree that we are doing very well and.... we are!!!..... if we look at our highest weight and compare it to our weight today. To regain that great feeling of success, we know losing just a few pounds now, will bring it all back and possibly keep us on track.
    I am making a deal with myself that for 7 days I will count my calories and not exceed my daily number of calories...just for 7 days. Then, depending on how I feel I may do it again for 7 days......until I am on the bus for the entire ride to my goal weight!
    Hope to see you on the bus too.
  • XorangecrushX
    Options
    I read through the old Fitness and Shape magazines, look at blogs, websites, etc. It helps me to know I'm not alone and that if all these other people can do it, I can do it too!

I also have a collection of cheesy inspirational quotes that I flip through when I need a kick in the butt.

Good luck!
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options

That's the problem. I am not as fat as I was and I am not uncomfortable. BUT, I am not at goal either so I need to keep on keeping on.

Weight is just a number by a stupid piece of crap that so many people worship in order to feel happy. I gave up on it a long time ago. Lifting heavy, plus eating is never gonna give me a number on a scale that matches up to what I see in the mirror.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    can you set a new challenge for yourself? sign up for a 5k or start a new workout dvd series?
  • Weeshweesh
    Options
    I usually but a pair of pants etc.. that I cannot fit into yet but LOVE. Kinda keeps my head in the game... cause I agree.. it is not easy to stay 100% when you have been doing it for a long time. Best of luck!!!
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here are some tricks that I used - I went from close to 180 to about 120 this year and as the weight came off and I started to feel confident and looking dece around 140 it was hard tos tay super focussed to keep going; but I knew that I had to keep pushing and also had a bit of that fear of falling back into old habits. Here are some tricks that I used:

*I started to get excited about what I would wear on weekends rather than what I would eat/drink. Instead of being like so excited for a big restaurant meal/dessert or type of drink - I would focus on my outfit/look/hair etc. and enjoy the progress that way

*I would have "no ___" periods where I identified things that were a weakenss for me: alcoholic ciders and mcdonalds (esp their sundaes)! and would do like period of time, in this case months where those things were specified no no s...I think this made it easier than just "trying to avoid" stuff that's bad for you if you identify the things you want to have off limits.

*As others have metnioned - maybe add a new activity and set a new fitness goal to keep you motivated as well! For me, I treat myself to new music on itunes every two weeks to add motivation!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and tips! I am not going to stop. I have to keep going.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at Success stories - here and you can google them. www. huffingtonpost. com has a TON. I get fashion magazines, even the really cheesy celebrity mags, and look through those to remember where I want to get to.

I read MFP boards a lot when I have 10 min...really makes a difference in focus.

I also changed the wallpaper on my computer to a calendar. Daily I update the calendar with my weight, the pounds lost, a red X on days I worked out, and a green X on the days I stuck to plan eating (aiming for both, each day). I have a goal set (9 weeks, 12 pounds to go for goal #1) with a specific date in mind (for me, class reunion, but could be anything). Having the calendar in front of my face, updated daily, really helps keep my mind in the game.

Oh, and I put two Women's Fitness models' photos in the upper corner of the calendar - one 6 pack, tan girl with abs that I would kill to have, that says "Suck it up now, and you won't have to suck it in later" and the other is of an equally ripped, tan girl - 43 years old, with 3 children. I look at them and figure I have no excuses. ;)

It's not always perfect - i fall off the wagon, but as the Chinese say; "fall 7 times, get up 8".
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Make healthy decisions, choose healthy behaviours - the attitude will follow :smile:.

Keep moving, keep logging. Eat things that you know will provide your body with nutrients as well as energy.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    YOu just don't want to gain. That's how I look at it. There is no shame in making a decsion to maintain for now until you get a true desire to lose the last 35. I've even read a study where a weight loss expert suggests that after six months of dieting, one should maintain because willpower can burn out. It also resets your metabolism to lose quicker when you start back to dieting.

good luck... don't be down on yourself.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    love yourself like theres no tomorrow.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    For me, it is about changing the way that I look at food. I have to look at it as fuel for my body instead of something to enjoy.

At times, it is hard to stay motivated. When I struggle, I look at my goal clothes that I have bought or read other people's inspiring stories or look at before and after pictures.

I repeat to myself that "I am stronger than my cravings", "I am stronger than the treadmill", etc.

You can do it! Keep in mind that weight loss is not a quick process. Stay committed every day and over the long term, the transformation will happen.

Even if you go over on weekends, count the calories so you know how much you are over. You don't want to sabotage your entire week of work by eating 7500 calories on the weekend.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Very often, pure vanity and simply just wanting to lose weight is not enough of a motivational factor. It can be initially because you're all excited and what not...then comes the stark reality that you're looking at months and months and even years and years of hard work...not to mention the work you are required to do to actually maintain a healthy weight once you get there...it doesn't just stop because you lost the weight...if you're doing it right, you will be working towards some objective/goal for the rest of your life.

First and foremost, this why all of this needs to be viewed as a lifestyle...you never really stop...so if you can't get motivated now to lose, then how are you going to stay motivated for the rest of your life to maintain. Once you start looking at things in that context, it doesn't really become about how much I lost this week or over this past month or whatever...that stuff only matters when you have some sort of "finish line" you're trying to cross. Truly changing your lifestyle means there is no "finish line."

This is why it is important to look at your diet as a noun rather than an action verb...this is why it is so important to have a sustainable way of eating...the only thing that changes at maintenace is that you have a few more calories to play with...what you consume doesn't really change. This is why deprivation really doesn't work...it's not sustainable...you can't and won't deprive yourself forever...you have to learn to enjoy those pleasures in moderation while focusing the larger part of your diet on getting proper nutrition.

Same goes for fitness...people start working out for weight loss...that is the wrong reason. You don't actually need exercise for weightloss...you do need it to be fit and for overall healthy and well being. When people exercise purely for the purpose of weightloss, the lose sight of their actual fitness and fitness objectives...then when they lose the weight they often stop exercising because they so closely associate fitness with weightloss goals. You reall should have mutually exclusive goals you are working towards. Every single person I know who has neglected their fitness once they've reached some arbitrary goal weight has just packed the pounds back on...it's important to learn awesome fitness habits not so that you can take them with you to maintenance...you never stop working out.

It is important to find something you love doing fitness wise. Droning away on some cardio machine or another usually isn't going to do it long term for most people. I personally believe in training for sport...multiple sports in fact, and I personally advocate having "seasons"...where basically you're switching things up and training for something else every 3-4 months or so. This keeps things interesting, plus you can actually participate in events and use your fitness.

For myself, I've found that focusing on changing myself for the better rather than focusing on the scale has made all the difference. When I first started here (after losing my intial 20 Lbs on my own and hitting a plateau), someone told me: "focus on the results and you rarely see the change; focus on the change and you always see the results."

I took those words to heart and really just started focusing on being a better me...a better me today than I was yesterday...and striving to be a better me tomorrow than I am today. I focus on my nutrition and focus on hitting my fitness hard...losing weight and looking better and re-gaining my fitness body is just gravy...it's really all about my health, which has improved dramatically, and that is the most important thing.