gaining weight? Please look at my diary

Options
I exercise 6 times a week . 3 of them are 2 a days(one hour boot camp style workout).

I cheated a few times last couple weeks. I specifically set cheat days since my exercise volume is pretty high.

It says I did elliptical for 30 min but it's generally for 45 min - 1 hour. It says I burned 800 calorie + with 45 min elliptical, which is wrong, so I decreased the time to reflect the correct figures.

I began on September 3, 2013 and now it is September 22, 2013. I was on track to losing weight(1.5 - 2kg) then I put it all back after my 'cheat' day so now I'm back to 126kg.

I used to be a fairly active and high level athlete(rugby, football) and I have been in muscular good shape. I never had to 'diet' so I'm new to this. My goal is to drop 20-30kg in 6 months.

As for weight lifting, I noticed a great increase in strength, stamina, and agility in only 3 weeks. I can run longer and cardio takes a less toll on my body. I am not eating completely clean as body builders do(i know it's not sustainable for me long term) but I am counting calories for the first time in my life.

Please check out my diary and see if I am eating too much/too little and if I should make any adjustments for the time being.

Muscle or fat, either ways, I am trying to lose 5kg/month. Getting 'smaller' is more important to me at this point than 'maintaining muscle mass' while 'losing fat'. I am an ectomorph so I put on muscle easily so I can work on that later.

This does not, however, mean that I will abandon weight training since being 'flabby' skinny is worse than being heavy and bulky imo.

Please advise? 3 weeks/ no change in weight. 1 week to go to meet my 5kg/month loss goal. I would like to reach it regardless of what I do the next 10 days. Should I go on a water cleanse?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're male...

How tall? 5'5"? 5'6"?

or 5'10" or so?
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I don't eat perfect, but it seems the past two days (excluding today) you went way over in your sodium. Do you measure your foods with a food scale that measures in grams & ounces? If not, I would invest in one of those.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Calories Carbs Fats Proteins Sodium Fiber
    2,322 332 43 181 4,626 104
    edwardkim85 Daily Goal 2,300 315 76 85 2,500 46
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Those 4k days might be putting you over for the week. Instead of 'cheating' try to incorporate the foods you love into your planning by eating smaller portions of them.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    2,322 332 43 181 4,626 104
    edwardkim85 Daily Goal 2,300 315 76 85 2,500 46

Well I looked at your goals and would suggest you visit keto calculator and revisit your goals a bit. Your carbs are high and you're not meeting your fat goals. it will help if you get a scale that measures body fat and muscle mass because right now you could be bulking and not know it. which is fine as long as you know it. dieting and exercising and bulking and cutting are all different disciplines and you may be pursuing more than one of them at a time and just getting yourself mixed up.

use the keto calculator to establish your goals (and please decide what they are, to lose fat? to gain muscle mass? how much? when? get a body fat scale and possibly calipers to know where you are on these goals.

I'm no expert but from the advice I get and am following, it's difficult to bulk and cut at the same time due to the dietary regimes for both being a bit different. cutting usually involves reducing the carbs from where you are and particularly being in ketosis at night. I'm finding that is working but it was not something I understood until it was explained to me.

again, I'm no expert and there are plenty more expert than I that you'll find on this site but it appears you are pursuing multiple goals that are a bit in conflict.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the fast response, really appreciate it.

I am 6 feet tall, 126kg.

I am trying to lose fat overall. From my body fat test at the hospital in 2012, I was 34% and I am slightly leaner now, so I should be around 30%.

My pants size is about 40-42.

Any suggestion as to how I can cut 'carbs' out of my diet to avoid 'bulking' ? Perhaps I am eating too many 'meat' products like chicken breasts/beef?

I do feel more energetic and in the mirror I def. feel like my body is changing(third week), but I am not shedding overall weight as I wanted.

I am trying to incorporate the intermittent diet(5:2) system and see if that changes anything.

If anybody has suggestions as to how I should change my diet, I would appreciate it. I am taking progress pics so I will post it up on a monthly basis!
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    I do measure my food in food scales(g/ounces). I try to be as accurate as possible when I log my diet. (I even put down beer/alcohol in it :D )
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    binkie,

could you give me a sample meal plan(1 day) for me to 'cut' weight?

I just want to see what type of food/amount I should eat.

Thanks

Ed
  • ritalvsfer
    ritalvsfer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? I didn't see any logged.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Carbs and meat are like opposites. If you look at your diary, you can see what is high-carb and what is high-protein.

I've been told to limit the bananas, but apples can be eaten all day long.
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    yes I am drinking tons of water. I just forgot to log them lol.
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    I did get a obstructive sleep apnea test done and waiting for results + blood test to check my cortisol and thyroid results.

My blood pressure, however, is quite normal.

I just want to see if other people had similar cases where they didn't drop a single pound at my weight, 270 pound, for a period of time while eating healthy and exercising.

The ONLY time when I was able to drop 20-30 pounds in a month-two was when I was almost starving and exercising 2-3 hours a day. I didn't log my diet then but I believe I was eating about 1000 calories daily and burnt more than that exercising.

Weight fell off like melted butter then; however, it was painful as I couldn't even fall asleep due to hunger. The scale definitely moved the right way though.

I just don't want to 'starve' again, but I might have no choice?
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A couple things,
    Change your macro percentages if you are trying to lose weight while maintaining maximum muscle mass.
    You're currently at 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. A better balance for you would be 30% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fat. If you can go to 40% protein, that's even better, along with 30% fat. Protein will also help keep you full longer than Hortons Donuts.
    You need to cut your total calorie intake also. At 1800 to 1900 calories per day, the weight should start to drop again.
  • Sozu
    Sozu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I would recommand you to have a look at scoobys guide if you already haven't -> ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/ ).
    There you got plenty of great tips of how you may be able to lose some.

Simply, drink lots of water, never drink calories (meaning, you shall always drink water or so!). Drink water before the meals, and you may not eat as much.

Go for a walk or get moving with something, just a 20 min each day makes huge different in the long term.

Really check up what you eating and figure out how you can eat healthier and less. Go for example chicken, tuna etc.

Trying too hard may get you out of the track, atleast it does for many people that tries and got too much of expection that they'll get ripped faster than possible and therefor giving it up.

Just try eat less and exercise more, you not have to starve.

(edit)
    Look this link too, great stuffs ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/fat-acceptance/ ).
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    You mean 1800 - 1900 without exercise?

or net calories after exercise?
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You mean 1800 - 1900 without exercise?

or net calories after exercise?

In the beginning, I did what you're doing with exercise and eating; and didn't lose. Then I found out that most of the 'calories burned' on the machines and even on MFP are greatly exaggerated. If you eat back these calories, you're eating back more than you used. You're may even gain weight.

So, I set my calories to 1600 and add in no more than 100 calories for any exercise.
    I've lost almost 70 pounds since Jan. 1.

Stick with 1800 without exercise and add in no more than 100 calories for exercise; 1900 total.