Help need training tips for 5k

Options
I want to train for a 5k but have not ran in almost 16 years. I am 100 pounds over weight and I know it will be hard. I am not a smoker so I know my lungs are pretty good. But I also know that I am extremely out of shape. Any suggestions on the best place to start would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• DaniPulley
    DaniPulley Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is an app for you phone you can download called "Couch 2 5k". lots of people have had success with this and I am currently using this app. Starting on week 2 this week. It's completely doable!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Get a C25K app of use an interval app.

SHOES!!! Proper shoes are a must or you are likely to be miserable.

Don't let your head tell you your legs are tired. Your mind will fail long before your legs do.
  • kjg1965297
    Options
    C25K is really awesome as it gradually gets you into it. I have repeated weeks as I haven't run in 30 years.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Go for a run and see what you can do.
    Step 2: Come back to thread and update after step 1
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Make sure you have some good shoes
    2. Get some good music if you like to jam while you run
    3. start out slow and easy, think more light jog than run
    4. Running is about you - set your own pace and your own goals and compete against yourself, don't worry about everyone else out there is doing, take pride in your own accomplishments, I was so excited when I ran my first 1/4 mile strait! Recently I was excited I ran a mile and a half strait!
    5. Sign up for a race a few months from now, it will help give you motivation to stick with it :)
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Galloway Easy 5k app in the iTunes Store. The Galloway program differs from some of the other couch 2 5k programs because it uses a run/walk/run interval system throughout. Most other c25k programs set the goal to run a 5k non stop. The Galloway system is based around alternating between running and walking. I started it at 306lbs and it helped me drop weight and run my first 5k. After I finished I moved on to the 10k program and then the half program. 16 months after my first day of running I was able to run the Disneyland half marathon in 1:53:06 and finished in the top 5% of all finishers. I also dropped over 100 pounds.
  • lcmweight
    Options
    I am using The Guardian guide to running (beginner). It isn't directly for training tips on 5K but it is getting you to run for 30 mins non stop. They do interval training which is what I liked for my motivation (run/walk). I am currently on week 5.
  • jorpa99
    Options
    Thank you all! It is so great to get a response from other people who started at the bottom like myself. Gonna start running tonight after my sons game. (I love to watch them play so I will NOT miss his games for anything! Already downloaded couch to 5k now for some good music!
  • jorpa99
    Options

At work lol :) The other day when I tried at the gym and made it 1 minute @4.5 then walked for 4-5 min @ 2.5 then ran again for 1 min @ 5.0 mph. Sometimes I feel like I am going to die before that minute is up. I just keep telling myself I can do anything for 60 seconds!
  • bostoncoug
    Options
    Definitely the couch to 5 k and a good pair of shoes. I started running in April of this year, purchased a good set of shoes (Altra Zero drop). I was worried, because I was 340 lbs, and every time I went for a walk even, I would get shin splints. I was able to train with the couch to 5 k program and now, my minimum run is 5k. I have also run a 10k since then and I have dropped 60 pounds. The other key, is don't forget to warm up, cool down and stretch! Have fun!!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Another person here for C25k! I'm currently wrapping up week 4 and I really like it so far. I had never ran before in my life before this program.

There's a group that may interest you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

At work lol :) The other day when I tried at the gym and made it 1 minute @4.5 then walked for 4-5 min @ 2.5 then ran again for 1 min @ 5.0 mph. Sometimes I feel like I am going to die before that minute is up. I just keep telling myself I can do anything for 60 seconds!

Slow down!!! If you can't carry on a conversation at the pace you are jogging you are going too fast. Once you slow down you will be able to go for a lot longer!!! It's not how fast you get there, it's that you get there.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    C25K is the way to go. I started this spring and I am working on week 8 and near the finish (I had some stuff come up but I kept trucking and fighting to finish). I use the active.com app on my android and love Johhny Dead (the zombie that chases you). Here are my tips.
    1. Don't get hung up on speed. It will come.
    2. Good shoes are a must.
    3. refer to number 1 again.
    4. It will seem impossible at times, ignore your brain it knows nothing. You can do this.
    5. Refer to number 1, in case you get disgruntles.

I am currently training for a Warrior Dash this Saturday and a 10k in a marathon relay in November. I can not believe that I could do this. When I started I was over 100 pounds overweight, a recent ex-smoker, and a person who hated to sweat. I have the 5K to 10K bridge app to keep the work up.

Good luck!
  • jorpa99
    Options
    C25K is the way to go. I started this spring and I am working on week 8 and near the finish (I had some stuff come up but I kept trucking and fighting to finish). I use the active.com app on my android and love Johhny Dead (the zombie that chases you). Here are my tips.
    1. Don't get hung up on speed. It will come.
    2. Good shoes are a must.
    3. refer to number 1 again.
    4. It will seem impossible at times, ignore your brain it knows nothing. You can do this.
    5. Refer to number 1, in case you get disgruntles.

I am currently training for a Warrior Dash this Saturday and a 10k in a marathon relay in November. I can not believe that I could do this. When I started I was over 100 pounds overweight, a recent ex-smoker, and a person who hated to sweat. I have the 5K to 10K bridge app to keep the work up.

Good luck!

Just a guess but is #1 important lol :) And good luck with your races!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    google couch to 5k programme. it is great.