Showing PCOS Who's Boss (with hair and tea dresses)

Options
Hello folks,

I've written about my weight loss before, but something came full circle rather neatly today.

British MFP members will be familiar with Peacocks, a cheap and cheerful clothes shop that is good for your basics. Back in the day, they used to have a designer range that appealed to my style back in my Fat Girl days - floral tea dresses, all nipped-in waists and SLEEVES! A rare thing indeed for us bestowed with bingo wings. I may have been fat, but at least I could be well-dressed.

When I was a size 18 - 20, those dresses allowed me to feel a little less loathsome about myself. I was obese, my ovaries were covered in cysts, and as a result my hair had thinned to a shadow of its former glory. I needed all the help I could get in terms of feeling good about myself.

The last time I wore this particular floral dress, it was a (tight) UK 18. The one in the right hand side of the photo below arrived this morning from eBay, and it's a UK size 10. Also, whilst I might not have my lion's mane of old, my hair is a lot thicker than it used to be.

Do I still have PCOS? Yeah. Nothing I can do about that. But I control it now, rather than the other way around.

480AE32F-CE0B-4296-A30F-2370D8C5F972-1393-000001C4359DEAC3_zpse6d36b38.jpg

Replies

• NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love tea dresses, whether I'm thin or fat, and that's a really pretty one. Looks lovely on you! And it's so good to hear success stories from people with PCOS - gives me hope for my own. :)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    You look really great, and I love that dress! My cousin has PCOS and struggles with her weight. It is good to see these success stories.
  • soonpass
    soonpass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    beautiful! Thanks for sharing. How fun that you found the same dress
  • MollyGirl32
    MollyGirl32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous pic! Congrats on your success & your mindset.

PCOS is frustrating-- and it's inspiring to see positive results.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind responses; it's very much appreciated.

My hair loss, for me, was one of the most crushing symptoms of PCOS - and while I'm still receding some, it's not the 'counting the hairs in the shower' nightmare it used to be.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I too have PCOS and when you mix that with Hyporthyroidism, I totally understand the losing hair in the shower and having a slight panic attack! I am so happy for you and you look AMAZING!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I also have PCOS and have always struggled with weight. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I have other issues too. I am not making any excuses now. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Awesome job!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful, congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    woot woot fabulous honeybunny!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!