Coffee

moonport
moonport Posts: 97 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just curious. I've viewed a lot of people's diary's and all they have for breakfast is coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, never had it in my life, but is that really healthy? I mean no offense so, please, no one be offended. It's just something I've been wondering for awhile.

Replies

• Coffee has a very low calorie count, but I think maybe it's because some people NEED coffee and if it is bad for you, then that's all they can afford to eat, so to speak, without eating too unhealthy! Just my opion, could be wrong!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    This is the million dollar question, lol. There are mixed opinions on both sides, by researchers. IMO, it is bad, but there are also health benefits. I'm not an everyday coffee drinker. I only have it when I really need it, which means I have none in my home for convenience, I have to go out and get it. That definitely slows me down from drinking it, lol. If you research the topic, you will constantly see studies say it is both good and bad.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    That used to be my breakfast for years before I started taking care of myself. I still drink a ton of coffee as I don't think it is as bad for you as some and I work nights, but I eat much healthier these days. If fact I am enjoying a dark roast as I type.
  • I just read on a boost your metabolism site that drinking a cup of coffee helps boost your metabolism. Although it DID say that green tea was better and not to drink more than one or two cups (which is actually 6 oz per cup and you KNOW people use bigger mugs than that):wink:

But it also said to eat an apple first thing in the morning because you need to eat right away to start your metabolism or your body goes in famine/hoard mode and by eating an apple it is healthy and it fills you up. Wait 20 minutes and then eat breakfast, preferably lean protein.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    I honestly can't live without my coffee, I have given up chocolate, fatty foods, fizzy drinks, but I have to have my coffee. Although I only have 3 a day now and I used to have about 8 eeeeek.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    coffee only is bad, having a coffee with breakfast is fine. Food should be consumed at breakfast (or at least a shake) something with nutritional value.
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Having just coffee is NOT a good breakfast. I have coffee every morning so that I can function. If I didn't already drink coffee I would not start. There is a lot of information out there about the pro's and con's of coffee. I wouldn't start drinking it for the sake of a diet. The caffine may suppress your appetite a little, however, studies have shown that breakfast is NOT the meal to skip. Good Luck! :drinker:
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    coffee only is bad, having a coffee with breakfast is fine. Food should be consumed at breakfast (or at least a shake) something with nutritional value.

this.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I could never give up coffee. I drink about 16 ounces every morning and another 8-12 ounces throughout the day. I don't drink it as a meal though. I keep it in my insulated cup and sip it during the morning.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    While I don't think coffee is GREAT for you, I also don't think it's the evil it's sometimes made out to be. I drink 1-3 cups each morning, I cut myself off at 10am so it doesn't interfere with my sleep schedule. I also drink it WITH my breakfast, not AS my breakfast.
    As with most anything, coffee is probably fine for you, in moderation.

(Edited to correct spelling error)
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member

Exactly! I always enjoy a nice cup of brew with my breaky - which I ALWAYS eat!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    I am a coffee drinker but coffee is the worst possible thing you could put in your stomach first in the morning. I try to start with a glass of water and some oatmeal, cereal, or something real before pouring caffinated acid down the shoot.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    no matter how well you diet, or how well you eat, when you lose weight you can sometimes feel very run down or out of energy! i find a coffee helps me some mornings...it curbs your appetite also :). try green tea for a hot drink in the morning :)
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    I'm just curious. I've viewed a lot of people's diary's and all they have for breakfast is coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, never had it in my life, but is that really healthy? I mean no offense so, please, no one be offended. It's just something I've been wondering for awhile.

No its not healthy.....not in my opinion. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so eat! I keep my breakfast Calories between 2 and 3 hundred.....Coffe only takes up 2 of those...cause i drink it black.....sometimes 4 calories if i have 2 cups. If youre not consuming at least 1200 calories a day you will not loose weight. Not to mention, youll be very sluggish. I switch off and on, one day i will have a protein shake for breakfast along with a piece of fruit, and the next ill have eggs, bacon and toast.
  • I would say that the actual coffee is not unhealthy. Much like red wine, research has shown that it can be good for you as long as you don't have ridiculous amounts of it. I have ONE cup of coffee every day.

I think the problem is that a lot of people won't drink it without loading it up with a whole bunch of crap so it turns into major calories so they won't eat breakfast because of that. I've notched back what I put in mine and I definitely eat.

I think that replacing breakfast with coffee is definitely unhealthy. Not because of the coffee but because people should really eat breakfast.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    I used to have just coffee for breakfast and was starving by the time lunch came around and I'd graze all day - big surprise there! So...as everyone else said...just coffee for breakfast...not a good idea. Coffee WITH breakfast...that's okay :)
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    I personally like to start my day with a cup or 2. I think as long as you are getting all of the nutrition you need throughout the day, a morning cup is not harmful.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Love my coffee but it is never what I call my breakfast. I have IBS and coffee alone would really hurt my tummy.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    I am a 4-5 cup a day drinker. Just having coffee alone for breakfast is not a good foundation for a healthy day.
This discussion has been closed.