Any ideas on how to curb eating from 5 till bedtime?

Options

Replies

• candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I saw your topic and thought oh good, I need to read that because that is my worst time too! But to my dismay not replies yet:cry:
    Very good question. I will be checking back to see what replies appear:smile:
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have my tea, then about 9-9.30 I start to get hungry so I either have my banana, or some laughing cow on ryvita and a big glass of water
  • gupton11
    Options
    Drink water.
  • gmattach
    Options
    This was a problem for me at first. It worked for me to have a glass of low fat milk and some apple slices around 8pm. I found that diet cranberry juice is good to have after that if I was still hungry. I had to learn to figure out whether I was actually hungry or out of habit wanting to eat. Find fruit/veggies and prepare them (clean and cut up and put into baggies/containers) for your 8o'clock snack.
  • jmpawson
    Options
    A piece of sugar-free gum keeps your mouth busy and no calories!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Well, that very much depends on when you're going to bed. Even if it's only 9, I'd still say you should find a way to fit something of a snack somewhere in there between dinner (i'm assuming that's what you're eating at 5) and bed time. Depending on my mood, i'll either have some apple slices, some celery and peanut butter, or even a piece of toast to curb the hunger between dinner and bedtime. I know it's a lot easier for me when I space my food out throughout the day and never go more than a couple of hours without eating something.
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    hmm go to bed at 5.30???
  • qwants2bslimmer
    qwants2bslimmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: There is a great topic on here called 'October No Late Night Snacking' - it challenges you to set a time to stop eating and get your alarm clock to go off 15 minutes before to remind you. Although I haven't been using an alarm clock it certainly has made me think about snacking and why I do it and it is really out of habit rather than hunger! Have a look. :flowerforyou:
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    In all seriousness I don't think you should be curbing eating as long as it's physical hunger and not just desire for something that tastes pleasurable.

Spread you calories so that you've got some for a little snack. That's my advice.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you're watching TV, do sit-ups or push-ups during commercial breaks. This always helped me. One, it added more exercise. Two, it usually took away my cravings. Three, if it didn't take away my craving it added calories I could eat. Good luck!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    funny ially I was going to say the same thing.

If I feel crazy hungry, and I dont have anymore calories to eat, I go exercise to get calories than have a snack.
  • marmite230
    Options
    I use a mug of hot milk with a tea spoon of honey.
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    It's such a challenge for night-time snackers. I always joke that I would be skinny if I coulod jsut go to bed at 6 p.m.! Anyway....I find that diverting myself from food works whether it's by going for a walk or doing laundry or cleaning house at night. TV is a killer! I just want to stuff myself when the darn thing is turned on. Barring that I save lots of calories for evening...but I try to make it 'good stuff' so I'll graze all night on low calories but relatively healthful foods to keep me away from the truly bad stuff.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Spread your food out more! Eat less at dinner, save calories for a snack? Eat dinner later? Cut carbs at dinner and eat more protein - more filling, less hunger pangs?

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Jimbo71001
    Options
    One word: Celery!

Eat all you want from 5 to bedtime. It gives you something to crunch on and lots of fiber!

Jimbo
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well, that very much depends on when you're going to bed. Even if it's only 9, I'd still say you should find a way to fit something of a snack somewhere in there between dinner (i'm assuming that's what you're eating at 5) and bed time. Depending on my mood, i'll either have some apple slices, some celery and peanut butter, or even a piece of toast to curb the hunger between dinner and bedtime. I know it's a lot easier for me when I space my food out throughout the day and never go more than a couple of hours without eating something.

I agree with Grouch. Even if you eat breakfast at 5AM, 12 hours without eating is a long time for your body to go without have any food/nutrients. A quick snack is a great idea.
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    Are you not eating b/c you have eaten all of your calories??? If not, they why do you think you should not eat after 5pm? We eat dinner around 6pm some nights a little later.
    I believe it has been proven that your body does not know it is 5pm and you should not eat after a certain time.
    I eat later in the evening and I have lost 8.6 lbs.
    I think sometimes we get hung up on things that don't matter. I would worry more of what I am eating daily, and if I am fulfilling all of my calories in a healthy way.
  • pennimedrano
    Options
    THATS A GREAT IDEA DALE49 YOU HELPED ME WITH MY PROBLEM THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    I go to the gym after dinner that really helps and I drink water when I start to feel like snacking. Since I already had dinner, I know I am not hungry, just craving something. Also try reading a book, doing a craft or taking a walk. It is easier to walk if you walk with a group of friends, join or create a walking team.

Cut back on watching TV, between the commercials and the Food Network, you can't help but eat. Last night, my husband turned on the food network, I had to leave the room because within minutes I wanted a big, fat greasy burger, they looked so good!

Good luck!

:bigsmile:
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Broccoli is good because that is one of thos foods that you can eat a ton of and not consume too many calories.