My First NSV - Non-Runner to 5k Winner

Options
I'm new here to MFP, but I've already made great strides in the two months that I've been here. I feel like my daily habit is checking out the Success Stories forum... I really like hearing about other people's progress. It's really inspiring and motivating.

I may not have pictures of dramatic weight loss (I'm a little shy about that), but I have experienced some victories that I feel comfortable with sharing. The first one is that I achieved something I never dreamed of in my entire life: I won a 5k. Even at my most active, I hated running with a passion. I enjoyed contact sports, but if you forced me to run a mile I'd whine the whole way. About three months ago, I set my sights on a 5k competition. I trained every day. I felt myself getting stronger. I could endure more miles than I ever could before.

Finally, about two weeks ago, I entered the 5k as part of a company initiative to get fit. Out of 7 other ladies in my 20 - 29 y/o age group (all of them much thinner than I am) I managed to win 1st place, 6 whole minutes ahead of the person who came in 2nd. Not only that, but somewhere along the way... I actually began to enjoy running. It wasn't torture for me. It was cathartic. It was fun.

I've continued running, even after the 5k. I'm entering more in the future (my next one is coming up in a month), and I look forward to making more progress. While I do enjoy winning, I gained so much more than a medal. I gained confidence. I gained the respect of many of my coworkers. And I gained a new hobby. :-)

Thank you, MFP, for helping me stay on track and keeping me motivated. This site and its members are livesavers. Here's to the upcoming months and the progress they bring.

Replies

• skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like a small race since only 8 in your age group. What time did you finish?
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know the feeling and it's fantastic isn't it! Keep up the good work
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Keep blazing that trail.So glad you found the fun in running. What a hobby you have. Congrats and keep it up.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS that's an awesome accomplishment. I signed up for a 5K in my little town - my goal was to come in in the top three for my age group.... 35-40... yes 40... I had just started running again - I came in first!!!! I was super excited...
    I am now signed up for the Hot Chocolate Run 15K in Chicago on Nov 3 - my goal is to just finish - it gonna be coooollllldddd......
  • shiichanchick
    shiichanchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I finished at 39 minutes. It wasn't as fast as I wanted, but considering I couldn't even run a mile without stopping 3 months ago... I felt pretty good about it. =) My goal for next month is 36 minutes. Baby-steps, you know?
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new hobby and the win. Last May I ran my first race ever a 10K and finished last in my age group 65 - 70s men and it was one of the biggest wins of my life finishing it and loving it. so a first had to be super keep it up and enjoy it.
    Side Benefit its very healthy for you
  • rudyryan33
    Options
    Way to go! Congrats! Best wishes on your quest!
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Way to go.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I finished at 39 minutes. It wasn't as fast as I wanted, but considering I couldn't even run a mile without stopping 3 months ago... I felt pretty good about it. =) My goal for next month is 36 minutes. Baby-steps, you know?

Baby steps indeed. I'm starting off slow as well. But I can't find many people slower in the races I do. My last 5k I finished 34:56(6300ft elevation) and was like 77th for my age/sex. Leaders finished under 20mins. So I'm distance training and then hope to gain speed over time. Congrats again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!