Know any good non-soup lentil recipes?

Options
Can anyone point me in the direction of good non-soup lentil recipes? Maybe a lentil salad or side dish with veggies?

Replies

• pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like them cooked with a little bacon and veggie stock. Maybe some onions too. Just fry off onions and bacon and garlic if you like, then add the lentils, cover with stock and simmer until the stock all absorbed. Lots of black pepper. Yum!- this is for green/puy lentils.

Google some lentil burger recipes maybe and dahl is lovely.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There are loads of dhal recipes online, which is a great, quick nutritious meal.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You can use lentils instead of mince for lots of things, like chilli, spag bog etc ( brown/ green works best)
    Also cottage/ sheppards pie, mousaka.
    Any curries, you will find out there are lots of different types of dhal.
    Lentil loaf? Sounds meh but there are some really good ones, my fave is lentils , grated carrot, tomato paste chilli, herbs olives and some bread crums.

Some work, but tastesamazing. http://cookadoodledoo.wordpress.com/2007/09/25/ma-ki-dal-dal-makhani-famous-punjabi-lentil-dish/
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    dahl is great.

I also love to make a veggie chilli with red lentils, kidney beans, cashews and loads of veggies. Cumin, garlic, chipotle to taste, serve with rice, yoghurt, coriander.

Also if you have pur lentils I really like to cook and cool them then mix up with a dressing, feta, fresh veggies and munch on some toast.
  • TheLung
    Options
    Look up khichdi It is pretty much dhal and rice cooked together. My wife makes it a lot because it is really good.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has posted this.. But Lentil Shepherds Pie!

Cook on the stove top:
    -Celery
    -Veggie stock
    -Tomato paste
    -Tomato passata (or can of tomatos)
    -Onion
    -Peas
    -Can of lentils

And mashed potato on top if you're feeling it! ;) Then bake in the oven for a bit. I can be more precise if you need. haha
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    there are some nice recipes for lentil bake, i.e. you cook stuff with lentils then bake it in the oven. they're really nice. Look on vegan websites - they love their lentils... also middle eastern and indian cuisine tends to involve lentils a lot. Talking of middle eastern cuisine... the Egyptians have a dish called foul* medammis, that's made with other kinds of beans rather than lentils but is so delicious it deserves a mention, and beans are a lot like lentils

*pronounced fool (arabic for beans) it is neither foul nor foolish lol, but delicious)
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump always looking for new ideas
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dhal is my favourite and there are so many recipe's using many different types of lentils, have a browse on line and don't be afraid to tinker with the ingredients to get the taste right for you.

Other things I do with lentils at the moment is just to add puy or beluga lentils to a salad for a different texture and they make also puy lentils cooked in stock with a little cooked bacon, raw red onion and fresh parsley added at the end makes a great side dish to go with meat and leafy vegetables
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie and I cook a lot with lentils, and I find they are a great replacement for mince e.g. Shepherd's pie, Moussaka, Bolognese. Red lentils tend to "mush" as you cook so are great for the classic dahl/dal as others have mentioned, whilst green hold their shape more and I use them to bulk out veggie burgers (e.g. recipes http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger and http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/olive-lentil-burgers both of which my meat eating other half LOVED), whilst Puy lentils (black lentils from the Puy region in France) retain their crunch. I find Puy lentils really tasty just simmered in some stock, with a little fresh flat leaf parsley, a bay leaf and a couple of bashed garlic cloves; and served with roasted beetroot, feta cheese, a regular side salad and some bread.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1139652/lentil-rag this is one of my favourite recipes... don't be put off by the calorie count, that includes a huge portion of pasta. When I entered my version (used a lot less olive oil, not including pasta) of the recipe into MFP, it worked out at 172 kcal per ragu portion. There are plenty of other lentil recipes on the same website - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=lentil

Hope that helps,
    from a Lentil-Lover!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Go to www.hillbillyhousewife.com and search taco style lentils and brown rice. It is delicious! My son is ultra picky and he loves the stuff!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy the Morning Star farms spicy black bean burgers. Those are good!!!
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    green lentils are very good with a little olive oil, and feta cheese (also with capers and roasted red peppers)
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and one of my favorite dishes is a very simple red lentil salad. Combine a cup of cooked red lentils with fresh cherry tomatoes, cucumber, green onions and crumbled goat cheese for a very tasty salad (you can use feta cheese if you like that better). Depending of what I have available, I might add chopped mint, cilantro, a little olive oil and a splash of lemon or lime. Yum!
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • breanazank
    Options
    Lentil Tacos!

I replace taco meat with lentils.

cooked green lentils
    onion
    garlic
    bell pepper
    jalapeno
    cumin
    chile powder
    oregano
    salt
    pepper

top with fresh lettuce, tomato, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a tortilla of your choice
    (I don't add sour cream/cheese, but that's entirely up to you!)