Life's Milestones - Running a 1/2 Marathon (Pics Included)

Options
This is my life. I refuse to call this a journey, because it isn’t. It’s my life and it will only end when I’m dead and buried. I used to think when I reached that “ideal weight” my “journey” would be done. I would have reached that goal and I’d be finished with this “weight loss” journey that I had been on since 2004. It took me 8 ½ years to finally figure out that there is no endpoint. Losing weight, getting fit, running races, and generally kicking *kitten* is my life, and it’s one that is filled with successes, disappointments, stumbling blocks, and accomplishments.

In 2005, I weighed almost 200lb. I was on anti-anxiety medication, binge drinking most weekends, and generally letting life pass me by in a blur of poor decisions, questionable situations, and emotional turmoil. In all honesty, I don’t remember much during that time and I am extremely thankful that things didn’t turn out worse.

SYTrc75.jpg

JymvcUN.jpg

I went through some health issues in 2008 that continued until April 2013. I was in the hospital a number of times due to crippling stomach pain and suffered numerous cases of food poisoning (some of which I know are food poisoning, whereas others could have been a result of other issues). I lost some of the weight I had initially gained, but it wasn’t because I was active…it was because I was too afraid to eat.

7flFbWW.jpg

I joined MFP in 2011, not initially because I wanted to lose weight, but because I needed something that was easy to use to track my food in an attempt to pinpoint the cause of my stomach pain. I was never active on the forums until late March 2013, and that is where I found my niche. My inspiration. My support. I met someone special on there, and he encouraged me to run a 10km race with him in April on a week’s notice. I had already signed up for the ½ Marathon by that point, but didn’t feel nearly ready enough. But I did it. We did it, and we finished it. I realized after that race that I found someone who I didn’t want to let go (or I guess he found me since he sent the friend request!). To date, we’ve run two races together. He’s been there to support me in the races he hasn’t run with me in, and I’ve been to two of his Spartan races. We’ve gone on hikes, 50km long bike rides, and I’m planning to run the Spartan Sprint with him and a whole bunch of other MFP people in 2014. We push each other, we laugh with each other, and we motivate each other. I couldn’t be happier.

Every once in a while, something big happens in my life that makes me take a step back and reflect on just how far I’ve come. Sunday, September 22nd, 2013 was one of those moments. I ran in my first ever ½ Marathon. And not only did I run it, but I ran it in a faster time than I thought was possible for me. When I did my practice run for the race, I ran 20km in 2hr, 7min. I finished the ½ Marathon in 2hr, 2min…1.09km longer than my practice run and 5min faster.

gAcHonH.jpg

I also met a lot of really amazing women on MFP…ones that have helped me realized that it’s okay to lift heavy things. My body is now starting to do things I never imagined it could and look a way I never thought was possible. I’m in the middle of a lifting program and I look forward to going to the gym every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning at 6:00am sharp to do my routine.

RYermB0.jpg

What’s next? More races! I want to run another ½ Marathon next year and get my time under two hours. I want to complete the Spartan Trifecta. I want to complete a Triathlon. The racing season in winding down around this time as it’s gets closer to winter, so the focus will be on lifting and training. The feeling I have when I think of getting up at 5:00am on a cold winter morning is not one of dread, but of excitement. What can I challenge my body to do next? What can I challenge my mind to overcome next?

Bring it on! :drinker:

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You're my inspiration....
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

you inspire me so much, melissa! and your life in 2005? i can SO relate to that.

congratulations on your major 1/2 marathon accomplishment! 2 hours and 2 minutes? holy hell. you know i finished my first in 3 hours and 22 minutes (ugh!!) so i bow down to you and your time!

so happy we've become friends!!!
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    You are amazing and such an inspiration to me xox Keep up the great work and you will go farther than you ever thought possible
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I finished the ½ Marathon in 2hr, 2min
    Wow! That is just an incredible time and what you've done and accomplished since you've been here is nothing short of amazing as well.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Can't see the pics at work...But congratulations a thousand times over!!!!!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i love how we start this in a "last ditch" effort to gain some modicum of control on our health....

and we find a love of fitness somewhere in there...

when did we forget to love to run....when did we forget to love to challenge ourselves.

You can tell that you have found a real love for life in this quest for health.

My wish for you is that this happiness and love you have with E and fitness continues for a very very long time.

:heart:
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Love this!! Amazing story.. that's a great time for a first half.. you should be very proud.. incredible transformation in life and life style

kudos to you for listening to the right people and doing the right things and have the drive , determination and persistence to accomplish all this

, I hope to do a half soon , my first 10k is in like 3-4 weeks and maybe a half in the spring

congrats to you and keep on going!!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    So so very proud of you. What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing. :heart:
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    wow nice
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Love this!

Proud of you, Melissa!

:drinker:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting things back on track and doing the Army Run (I ran my 5th one yesterday).

If you're feeling really masochistic check out the Hypothermic Half (put on in January by The Running Room - lots of fun!) and if you're serious about a triathlon check out the programs at the Ottawa Triathlon Club.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    OMG I am in love with your journey!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!!
  • trmrgb
    trmrgb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE AMAZING! Thank you for sharing your story! It really hit home for me! Thank you for helping to keep me focused. You look amazing and it is so wonderful when good things happen to great people! Good luck on whatever else you decide you are going to do! I am sure you will nail it!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You, I :heart: you!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I don't know you personally, but we have a lot of friends in common so I've seen you around and I think you're kind of awesome.

Congrats on all of your success and keep kicking *kitten*! :drinker:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    No words to say how much I ♥ this and you!

So proud and looking forward to witnessing you kick *kitten* in all your up coming events!!

You are simply amazing!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You kicked my *kitten* in the half marathon too, I'm surprised you didn't point that out! :grumble:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!