Soup Season

Options

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    we made up a paleo-friendly & delicious soup just by throwing a bunch of stuff together. it was something like...

1x leek
    1x onion
    garlic cloves
    3x bacon rashers (the big ones!)
    1/2 x cauliflower
    stock

chop, cook, blend when everything is soft. surprisingly delicious and made me want to cook with leeks more often.

also... replace the cauliflower and leek with butternut pumpkin (or butternut squash I think you call it?) Add some cream if thats what you're into.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight, and it's AMAZING. I added about 1.5-2 cups of cooked lentils to bulk up the protein.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/mushroom-barley-soup/
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love this quick one:

1 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 can each - pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, cannelini (or other white) beans, garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 c frozen or 1 can white corn
    1 can diced or petite diced tomatoes
    1 qt vegetable stock
    Seasoning to taste - I use pepper, basil, sometimes add some chili powder and / or cumin

Heat oil in dutch oven. Saute the onion, bell pepper, carrot and celery until tender. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.

You can use low sodium of the canned goods if you need to keep your sodium lower, or you can add a quart of water and do this in the crock pot on low for 8 hours with dried beans instead of canned. Just follow the package instructions for preparing the beans for cooking. If doing it in the crock pot you can throw in a bay leaf for some additional flavor.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these great recipes! I'm saving this for later when I have time . . .:happy:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make is roasted butternut squash and shallot soup. It is insanely easy.

Cube one squash, peel and half 4 shallots, and cut up a hunk of ginger. Toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Roast at 375 for about an hour or until soft. Put half of that mixture in a blender with two cups of vegetable broth or stock. Blend. Do again with the other half. Pour it in a large pot and heat for 5 minutes.

I will often make a double batch and freeze it.

This sounds delish!!
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I love them all. :heart: But I don't know what to make first: I am torn between the Tomato Tortellini, the Broccolli and Cheese or the Loaded Potato Bacon!

eat-all-the-things.jpg

I love that image and I'm so glad we have more recipes. The butternut one sounds delicious! I have a fatteningly good butternut soup in one of my cookbooks somewhere, but since this is MFP and it's mostly cream and butter... bad bad bad

Today I'm living on Oktoberfest stew leftovers and dang it's better the second day!! Paring with a tomato and swiss sandwich on rye... YUM!!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Chicken Chili

1 -15oz can black beans
    1 - can of corn
    1 block of reduced fat or fat free cream cheese
    2 - 10oz cans of Rotel - Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
    3 lbs chicken breast
    1 packet of ranch dip mix

Put in crock pot on high for 4 hours. Shred chicken. Enjoy!

I can't wait to try others! Thanks for posting.
  • ferreteers
    ferreteers Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Roasted Squash Soup
    Ingredients:
    1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
    1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
    1 quart chicken broth 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    ground cinnamon to taste (optional)
    fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the squash halves cut side down in a baking dish. Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Scoop the pulp from the skins. Discard skins.
    2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion until tender.
    3. In a blender or food processor, blend the squash pulp, onion, broth, brown sugar, cream cheese, pepper, and cinnamon until smooth. This may be done in several batches.
    4. Transfer the soup to a pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Garnish with parsley, and serve warm
  • ferreteers
    Options
    Celery Root Soup
    sea salt
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
    one large celery root (about 3-pounds, 1.5kg), peeled and cubed
    3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
    3 cups (750ml) water
    1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground white pepper
    scant 1/8 teaspoon chile powder (I used Rancho Gordo)
    1. In a large pot, melt the butter with the olive oil.

2. Add the leeks and cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic cloves and season with salt, and continue to cook until the leeks and garlic are soft and translucent. If the pot begins to brown too much on the bottom as they cook, add another pat of butter or pour of olive oil.

3. Add the celery root and stock. (Or use all water.) Bring to a boil, then reduce to a strong simmer. Cook, with the lid to the pot ajar on top, until the celery root pieces are soft and easily pierced with a paring knife, about forty five minutes.

4. Add white pepper and chile powder, the purée using a hand mixer, or let the soup cool to room temperature and whiz in a blender until smooth. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. If the soup is too thick, it can be thinned with water or stock.

To serve, rewarm the soup in a saucepan and ladle into bowls.

Variations: Celery root has a distinctive flavor, but don’t hesitate to experiment with adding other ingredients. Cubes of pear or apple could be cooked with the cubes of celery root and puréed, a dusting of nutmeg, or some tangy crème fraîche instead of the olive oil are all worthy additions.

I’m a big fan of chucks of crisp bacon floating around in there, or you can even add a swirl of another root vegetable soup, such as beet or carrot. And if you’re feeling opulent, this soup lends itself very well to shaved truffles scattered over the top.
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thx for all the good recipes!
  • ferreteers
    Options
    Green Goddess Soup
    ■450g to 500g assorted green lettuce & salad leaves (such as Batavia lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce, Watercress, Rocket, Spinach and Nettles)
    ■small bunch of mint (chopped, about 2 to 2 tablespoons, some left for a garnish)
    ■2 teaspoons cornflour (mixed with a little milk)
    ■200ml skimmed milk (0% fat)
    ■salt and pepper (to taste)
    Note
    This amazingly tasty soup is low in calories and packed full of your five-a-day requirements; use any green leaves in this soup, which is a perfect way of using a glut of summer lettuces. The herbs can be adjusted to suit your personal tastes, chives and parsley are also wonderful when added to this soup. Only 50 calories per portion - this soup can be frozen and can also be eaten chilled on a hot day.

Directions
    Step 1 Pour the stock into a large saucepan that has a lid and add the chopped onion and spring onions. Simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
    Step 2 Add the lettuce and green leaves, replace the lid and simmer for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until the leaves have cooked down and are soft. Add the chopped mint and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes.
    Step 3 Transfer the soup to a blender or using a hand-held immersion blender, liquidise the soup until it is smooth. Pour the soup back into the saucepan.
    Step 4 Add the cornflour and milk paste to the rest of the milk and then add it to the soup. Bring the soup to the boil and then turn down the heat, making sure you stir it continually until the soup has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Step 5 Serve in warmed soup bowls and scatter some chopped mint over the top of the soup as a garnish.
    Step 6 Quick home-made vegetable stock: Simmer a celery stalk, a leek, a couple of carrots, an onion, a bay leaf, some garlic cloves in a litre of water with salt and pepper until they are soft and cooked. Strain the vegetables and liquid into a jug and keep in the fridge until needed. Will keep for up to a week. Use any seasonal vegetables you have to hand.
  • ferreteers
    Options
    Tortellini Soup

Quart of Chicken Stock
    Package of your favorite Tortellini
    Spinach
    Chicken
    Mushrooms
    Parmesan Cheese
    Lemon Zest

Boil the Chicken Stock, add Tortellini and cook according to the package. At the last moment, add the Spinach and Mushrooms to wilt in the soup liquid.
    When serving, grate fresh Lemon Zest and Parmesan Cheese to soup bowls. Cracked Pepper is lovely too.

Yum!
  • StacyReneO
    Options
    Good ole cabbage soup - but not so cabbagey. I just call it Trader Joe's veggie coup and my kids love it.

4 cups beef broth
    2 cups shredded cabbage (prepack at Trader Joe's)
    1 container Veggie Mirepoix from Trader Joe's (it's about a half cup each of chopped celery, carrots, onion and cabbage)
    1 tsp crushed garlic (TJ's)
    2 T Worcestershire sauce
    1 small can V-8 low sodium
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute the Mirepoix veggies in a bit of olive oil. While they are sautéing, in a soup pot add beef broth, V-8, garlic, cabbage and worcestershire sauce and heat on med-high. Add mirepoix to the soup pot and bring to a slight boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Done. For the kids I garnish with a bit of parmesan. For myself I either use a few squirts of Cholula or more Worcestershire. For 6 servings it's about 60c per serving but that's a pretty good sized bowl, you can probably get 8-10 mug sized cups out of batch for a lower calorie count.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Good ole cabbage soup - but not so cabbagey. I just call it Trader Joe's veggie coup and my kids love it.

4 cups beef broth
    2 cups shredded cabbage (prepack at Trader Joe's)
    1 container Veggie Mirepoix from Trader Joe's (it's about a half cup each of chopped celery, carrots, onion and cabbage)
    1 tsp crushed garlic (TJ's)
    2 T Worcestershire sauce
    1 small can V-8 low sodium
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute the Mirepoix veggies in a bit of olive oil. While they are sautéing, in a soup pot add beef broth, V-8, garlic, cabbage and worcestershire sauce and heat on med-high. Add mirepoix to the soup pot and bring to a slight boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Done. For the kids I garnish with a bit of parmesan. For myself I either use a few squirts of Cholula or more Worcestershire. For 6 servings it's about 60c per serving but that's a pretty good sized bowl, you can probably get 8-10 mug sized cups out of batch for a lower calorie count.

Ooooo I have some leftover broth and cabbage from the Oktoberfest stew. This is perfect! Thanks for sharing!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love making soup, it's so easy and can be different every time, depending on what I have in the fridge and freezer to use. Last night I made a huge pot of ground beef, quinoa, broccolinni, spinach, and asparagus soup. Have enough for lunches for the rest of the week now, too. I was lazy and just used a package of Lipton's onion soup mix for the base.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    In for the recipies!!
    me too. and my MFP is being a wacky mess. so bump so i can find and actually read/save these later
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    What is sauerkraut?
  • bubbliemae
    Options
    White Chili

Brown 1 lb ground chicken or turkey, with 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 jalapeno, couple garlic cloves, and spices, I like cumin, turmeric, curry, and salt and pepper.
    Then add a can of cannellini beans, a can of rotell tomatoes a couple cups of spinach, and enough chicken broth to cover.
    For toppings, I like sour cream, and guacamole, and crumbled tortilla chips.

YUMMY
  • StacyReneO
    Options
    What is sauerkraut?

WHHHAAAAATTT??

tumblr_m7ik8jA1UP1qg2nu5o1_500.gif