For those who have had children...

Options
Does the loose skin and the pooch on the lower abs ever go away? I would love to have a flat tummy again.

Replies

• 50Mimmy
    Options
    For some woman it goes away. Mine won't. I am waiting for an operation to get it removed.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Sorta :ohwell:

I'll let you know in a couple of months, but I'm not too hopeful. It depends on genetics, how much weight you gained and how long you've kept it. Too many variables to guess what the outcome will be.

I'm subscribing to this:

Work hard and when you've reduced to around 25% body fat and it's still hanging around, then it *is* extra skin. Learn to live with it or have surgery, unfortunately is the only answer at that point....laser maybe?

I myself, will live with it if it remains, it's not all that big & I guess right now, I'm just happy that people can't see it through my clothes :laugh: and since DH knows it's there, I'm not kiddin' anybody :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • deereb123
    deereb123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    imo, it depends on a couple of factors

1) how much weight you gained
    2) how long it has been since you gained the weight

the sooner you get started on going back to pre-baby weight, the more likely you are to loose the flab. I did this with child # 1 - still working on the journey with child #2
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine is starting to go down. I know there are many determining factors, but I hope it doesn't come down to surgery.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My pooch is gone, but not the loose skin. In fact , if I lose too much weight - the skin looks worse :(
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone down a lot but the skin is gross. Going to get a tummy tuck after I've maintained for a year+
  • rebekahlp
    Options
    I think it also differs if you had your child by Cesarian or vaginal... i had a c-section and its hard to strengthen those muscles
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have seen people do it - age has a lot to do with it - the younger they are the more likely. As for me - it will take surgery
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It depends on how elastic your skin is, how big the pooch is, and how fast you lose weight. If you do it slow and steady, and reduce the fat, then build the core muscles, this would produce the best results. But not everyone has that elasticity. I'm working on losing a lot of weight, myself, and I have a feeling I will definitely have to resort to a tummy tuck at some point. my stomach doesn't stick out - it hangs over! That's A LOT of loose skin.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Pooch is gone, but when I sit or bend over there is still loose skin. I think a lot has to do with c-section vs vaginal as well. I had two kids vaginally - gained about 35lbs with both.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    After giving birth to 6 kids and losing 20 pounds.......it is not to bad if I stand up, otherwise.......it is lose and wrinkly. I can't do anything about it so I just try to focus my energy into looking as best as I can.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Again, "sort of". It doesn't look to back when standing but yeah, when doing planks, or 'um other things, it's gross.
  • GrandmaPeridow
    GrandmaPeridow Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had my second and last child 36 years ago. She was born C-section. The pooch went down, but never went away.
    When I was 49 I had a hysterectomy (for health reasons). The flab got worse after that because I gained weight. I am now losing weight, but will have to live with the pooch. Not worth the risks of surgery.

We are all different. My daughter has had four children. I don't think she has much of a pooch. After each child she began working out as soon as the dr. gave permission.
    Good luck on your journey.:smile:
  • Mrs_Winfrey
    Mrs_Winfrey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am nearing my 7th week postpartum and was wondering this as well! I gained nearly 35 pounds on top of already being about 20 pounds over my goal weight...I'm hoping lots of core toning exercises and cardio, the pooch will go away. My skin seems fairly loose, hopefully that tightens back up at least a little :(
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 18 months old, I went from 220 to 140 and I'm at 17% bf and I STILL have it despite having a strong core and abs but I can say with certainty that it loose skin...only hope I have it that my skin with heal over time.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I've had one vaginal birth and one c-section. Never had the pouch and no stretch marks. I do have a bit of wrinkly skin, but only noticable when I bent over, despite having gained 30-35 kg (66-77 pounds) both times. Guess I'm genetically blessed in that respect.

The only advise I can give you is to take weightloss not too fast and to involve somesort of strength training in your workouts as soon as your doctor gives the go ahead. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids and 2 c-sections. I am not counting on it ever going away ah well.
  • TinyTeTe
    TinyTeTe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine is gone whilst standing only. When I sit, there is *some* loose skin over the jeans.

I'm doing some heavy weights now, to see if it goes away.

My stats:
    Pre-baby- 93lbs
    At delivery- 200lbs+ (Yeah, I know)
    Current weight- 124lbs

Hopefully, you had yours when you were younger. I noticed that makes a huge difference. Good luck!