Dr's direction vs what's happening

Options
:flowerforyou: I'm hoping that someone has had a similar experience and can help me figure out maintenance. I have been in maintenance since July, and my dr told me I would only be able to increase my calories by 200 without gaining weight. I increased my calories to 1470, so by 270 and I work out two to three times a week. I eat my workout calories, unless I went over by a lot on the weekend. Then I eat all but 100-200 of my exercise calories. I usually have 2 weekends a month where I go over significantly, (we're talking 1900-2500 calories in a day.) I have lost 4 more pounds since I started maitenance, and I don't want to lose any more.

What do you think I should do with my calorie goal? My fear is letting go of what I have worked so hard to accomplish, and putting the weight back on slowly. It's happened to me 2 times before. I'm trying to make a lifestyle change and improvement. I just want to be able to trust that what I'm doing is healthy and going to work.

Any ideas????

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I went on maintenance i had to play with my calorie goal some to find the right amount for me. I did this by increasing the amount incrementally and checking my weight every 2 weeks. It took several months to find the right daily calorie amount to see the weight range I was comfortable with (I never weigh the same at each weighin, but within +-2lbs.)

Good Luck.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am not on maintenance yet, but I would slowly increase your calories until you stop losing. If you start gaining a little, cut them back again. Add 200 more for a few weeks and see what happens.

What does MFP say should be your calories for maintaining? Their advice helped you lose the weight, so I would try it for maintenance too.

One thing your doctor might not be realizing is how much MFP reduced your calorie intake from your BMR to allow the weight loss. I wouldn't go back to eating your BMR right away, but a slow increase should be fine until you fine the actual number that works for you.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for the tips on maintaining. I am getting close to that myself and was wondering how I would work it.

For your answer, I would try gradually adding back in more calories to your average day to see at what point you stop losing weight. If you get to a point where you are gaining you will know to cut the calories back a notch.

I hear you about the weekends. Mine get like that, too. Do the best you can at other times making sure as many of your calories are quality calories and I think you will be fine.

Congrats!

L
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    see what MFP sets for your maintenance and slowly increase your calories until you get there or close to it. Try adding in an extra 100 cals/day for 2 week then the following add another 100 cals for 2 weeks. This way you will find maintenance yourself and it may be slightly below where MFP says it is.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm having the same issues. I met met goal weight the first week of August and have since lost an additional 6 pounds - bringing me down to 112 pounds. I REALLY don't want to lose anymore. I'm struggling with finding the right balance of diet and exercise. At first I was exercising just as hard as when I was trying to lose, but felt that that was doing more harm than good with the additional weight loss. So lately I've slacked off - This week I've only been walking, not doing any strength training. And I'm feeling pretty down about myself b/c I'm not actively working towards my fitness goals. I'm like you - I don't want to gain it back, but I also don't want to lose any more weight. Maintenance has been a struggle and i haven't found my magic numbers yet.

I keep increasing my calorie count. I'm up to 1560, and I've been eating slightly over that each day this week. I'm eager to see what the scale reflects. I think it's a balance that is going to take some tweaking, but it's a fine line, and I don't want to move backwards. I wish I had some advice for you - but I think I need help as well :)

Good luck!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thank you for the support:)

I hadn't even thought about using MFP goals for Maintenance, silly, seems obvious.:blushing:

I had just started adding calories the way the dr suggested. I go back to set up and see what MFP suggests. If it's 200-300 more than what I'm eatting I'll start by adding 100-150 a day and see where that puts me in a couple of weeks and go from there.

I think eatting my exercise calories is the only way to handle that, because I can't give up the exercise, I love those endorphins:bigsmile: Plus I really want to be sure I maintain my muscle mass. Exercise is my me time and I know the weeks I don't get enough my stress levels are higher.

If resetting my goals on MFP works I'll let everyone know in a success story.

Thanks again for the support and help:heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what are your numbers? I.E. height, weight, Activity level

any medical conditions that could affect metabolism.
  • lculian
    Options
    what are your numbers? I.E. height, weight, Activity level

any medical conditions that could affect metabolism.

I'm 5'5" and I weigh 122. I have a desk job, but exercise 2-3 times a week and burn 400-600 calories per work out. No medical conditions:)

What do you think???
  • lculian
    Options
    BTW MFP told me to up my calories by 220 a day!!!!! So I think I'll add another 110 per day for the next 2 weeks and see what happens. Anymore weight lost and I'll add in the other 110 per day:bigsmile:

Cross your fingers, I'll keep you posted:wink:
  • snutley84
    snutley84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on tour weight loss!!! Good luck :-)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    assuming your activity level is lightly active, and all other things to be relatively normal, for your height, weight, age, and sex, you should be somewhere in the range of 1700 calories a day as maintenance. this is pretty generic and can fluctuate, but that's about where you should be. If you're more active it should be more, but lightly active means you have an inactive job but still do a little moving around every day (either before, during, or after work) or you exercise lightly to moderately 3 to 5 times a week or a combination of both.

Sedentary means you do no exercise, and have a sit down job where you basically don't leave your chair for the whole day (besides bathroom breaks and getting up to hit the vending machine.) Not that many people who are in decent shape are truely sedentary.