Depression and anxiety need help

Options
I been dealing with bouts of depression and anxiety for most of my life, I admit I use food as a crutch when things are bad. For a few months I been doing great working out losing inches instead of weight.. go fig. However these past two to three weeks my depression has gotten the best of me... I haven't worked out as much as I should (that's if I do manage to go to the gym) and I been using food as a crutch. I won't go into details on what triggered it... hell sometimes I am not sure why myself. However I just need to know I am not the only one out there who is dealing with the same thing.

Good news is I will be seeing my shrink for help so I got that in the bag.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this right now and glad you'll be seeing your therapist soon. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and anxiety, too. I started taking an anti-depressant several months ago. I still have bad binge bouts, but definitely not as often as I used to. Maybe you need to discuss prescription therapy to see if something might help you. There's no shame in it. I feel ten times better since starting my Lexapro.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Thank you for the support, the nice thing so far is the anxiety is some what at bay, just the depression is slightly creeping back in.. I definitely will ask them about prescription therapy! Thank you again!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with a whole bunch of supposed psychiatric disorders all of my life. I have resolved them ALL, along with a long list of other illnesses, by changing WHAT I eat. Mental illnesses are very often symptoms of malnutrition (and yes, many people in developed countries are malnourished and obese). No, your psychiatrist will not tell you that and most will just use you as a guinea pig for meds if you let them. Been there, did that. Never again.

Please do some research on diet and it's effects on health, especially as it pertains to depression (the info is out there-you just have to start looking and considering different ideas). The brain is part of the body (seems obvious) and it is affected by the quality of the food we consume.

PS. "Prescription Therapy" wow, being advised to go down that path.... No one, no one, is born with pharmaceutical deficiency. I promise. Has a psychiatrist ever mentioned a "chemical imbalance"? So who measured the brain chemicals to determine an "imbalance"? And why would an "imbalance" be resolved with pharmaceuticals and not nutrients? Currently, the "science" of psychiatry is hardly a science at all, but is certainly very dangerous to the people who are trusting in it.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    To the poster above, yes people ARE born with deficiencies and YES prescription drugs CAN and DO help. I'm vegan and eat whole foods and the Lexapro I'm taking has made a HUGE difference. Just because you haven't found what helps you doesn't discredit what might help someone else.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life, even as a young child, so I do believe there can be chemical imbalances, but I think there's more to it than that. Of course diet and exercise play a role. Hormones do too. It's all intertwined.

I took Lexapro for postpartum depression and did notice a great improvement. I went off it after a couple of years and just "dealt." I've since been diagnosed with thyroid disease, and have realized I've had it most likely all my life. Now that I'm regulated on thyroid replacement, miracle of miracles, my anxiety and depression is pretty much gone.

There's definitely a place for prescriptions, as well as for dietary changes, lifestyle changes etc. I'm glad you're working on your condition, OP, and wish you the best of luck! It's not a fun situation to have to deal with, but it is one that can certainly be improved.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv just started citalopram for Post natal depression and anxiety so I can relate. I used to eat so much and feel terrible after a binge but since starting the meds I have 0% appetite and feel too nauseous to eat much so my binging is gone for now. I think I am needing a stronger dosage as Iv not had any positives from the meds yet and its been a while, going back to Drs in a few weeks for that.
  • DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's the meds that contribute to your increased appetite. It took a long while for me & my Dr to find the right combo for me. One that could bring my stability & allow me to lose weight. Keep talking to your Dr and hopefully you'll find what works best for you. If you want a pal, friend me.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with a whole bunch of supposed psychiatric disorders all of my life. I have resolved them ALL, along with a long list of other illnesses, by changing WHAT I eat. Mental illnesses are very often symptoms of malnutrition (and yes, many people in developed countries are malnourished and obese). No, your psychiatrist will not tell you that and most will just use you as a guinea pig for meds if you let them. Been there, did that. Never again.

Please do some research on diet and it's effects on health, especially as it pertains to depression (the info is out there-you just have to start looking and considering different ideas). The brain is part of the body (seems obvious) and it is affected by the quality of the food we consume.

PS. "Prescription Therapy" wow, being advised to go down that path.... No one, no one, is born with pharmaceutical deficiency. I promise. Has a psychiatrist ever mentioned a "chemical imbalance"? So who measured the brain chemicals to determine an "imbalance"? And why would an "imbalance" be resolved with pharmaceuticals and not nutrients? Currently, the "science" of psychiatry is hardly a science at all, but is certainly very dangerous to the people who are trusting in it.

I feel better when I eat healthily and exercise. I feel better when I'm on an antidepressant. I feel my best when I eat healthily, exercise, and take an antidepressant.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but apart from energy, your fat cells also store hormones. When you lose weight your fat cells shrink, releasing whatever they have in them, which can give you serious mood fluctuations.
    I have severe depression, but I've had a handle on it for the past year or so. However, now that I'm losing weight I catch myself with that old empty feeling, like everything I do is covering up this massive void, and I feel like I'm drowning.
    It's mostly just hormones though, you just need to hold on and let them balance out.
  • irishsunshine13
    Options
    I would have to agree with looking at eating the right foods instead of drugs a doctor prescribes. It's all about the money nowadays. I had major anxiety bouts a little over a year ago and the doctor prescribed me meds and I took them and felt like a zombie who couldn't function. Sometimes, if prolonged, meds can mess you up permanently. I saw it happen in a nursing home i worked in. Anyway, long story short, I started reading and looking up ingredients in foods, and even in my vitamins I take. I weened off the meds myself. I have emergency Kilonopin for emergency panic attacks just incase, but have only taken 2 in the past year. It turns out there is something in my vitagummies that actually helps with the serotin levels in the brain--which as you know--when levels are out of whack cause anxiety. So.....if it's in a vitamin, it can be found in the stuff you eat!! Oddly enough, I had asked my doctor if there was anything i could eat to help and he told me no. Research and ye shall find the answer!!!
    :wink: Good luck!
  • genejr1224
    Options
    Hello,

I am not a doctor at all. I am not giving advice except when you go see your doctor. I have a question you may want to ask. In May, my doctor told me my blood sugars were not being controlled and the numbers from my blood and urine test said I was killing my kidneys and making my liver work harder. That scared me so I went home to change my diet. I began to lose weight. By the next doctors appointment three months later I had my blood sugars were down to an A1C level of 7.1 from 10. I lost about 20 pounds. But I was struggling. I was struggling with hip,leg, knee and pain in the the kidney area. I was struggling with energy and not wanting to do anything or getting out to walk. When I did walk it was only 15 minutes and the pain would drive me back home. I heard so much about testosterone and the benefits it gave. I asked the doctor to test my levels. The number came out low. The doctor prescribed 2% testosterone patches. It took a couple of weeks for me to notice the difference. This is what I felt and noticed; My daily morning fasting blood sugars are now in the 70 to 80 range, before the patches the blood sugars were in the 80,90 and 100 range; my energy level has picked up I walk everyday up to an hour; my pain in my hip,leg and knee has gone away ( I think the testosterone helps you heal faster); my back pain where my kidneys are have lessen to the point where I can walk further and faster but more importantly my attitude, my overall feeling about myself is much better. Yes it is. I don't have the daily depression or sense of I am just dying to wanting to do things. So the question you should ask your doctor is to test your hormone levels and take a stance if you might want to have those levels adjusted. I am talking to men and women. I am glad I did.
  • karlakb
    karlakb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my Facebook page if you like to join its new and a closed group no one can see post. So safe!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554425177963945/554852557921207/?notif_t=group_comment
  • bygblu21
    bygblu21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There have been many good comments on this thread regarding the medical side of depression and its various treatments so I will leave that alone, not to mention its not my area of knowledge. What I will say is that regular exercise and a good clean healthy diet can do wonders for the mind. I have a private Facebook challenge group starting in a week that your welcome to join into. The group is completely free and may help you achieve your fitness goals. If nothing else you'll meet some genuinely nice people that will certainly be a positive influence in your life! I'm on FB at Rob Sperruggia if your interested. Best of luck!
  • PhillymomMindy
    PhillymomMindy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can relate cause I to suffer from both and use food as my crutch. Some days are better than others but at least your seeking help, I know it will help as it has for me before.

GOOD LUCK
    I been dealing with bouts of depression and anxiety for most of my life, I admit I use food as a crutch when things are bad. For a few months I been doing great working out losing inches instead of weight.. go fig. However these past two to three weeks my depression has gotten the best of me... I haven't worked out as much as I should (that's if I do manage to go to the gym) and I been using food as a crutch. I won't go into details on what triggered it... hell sometimes I am not sure why myself. However I just need to know I am not the only one out there who is dealing with the same thing.

Good news is I will be seeing my shrink for help so I got that in the bag.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety (not medicated) and I used to use food as a comfort. It took me a while to stop piling the high fat and sugar foods into my body.. it was mainly just my own doing; willpower and realising I wasnt healthy. It took me years to get it under control, and its still hard now, since this anxiety is pretty much an every day thing. I also realised that losing weight would be a big step towards helping this anxiety.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Oh, we'll then I'll just give up the Wellbutrin that saved my life, and just make sure to eat right. Im sure just a change in my diet would have stoppd me from wishing i was dead. Sounds legit. (btw, while in my deepest depressive state, I was not at all capable of making good food decisions and preparing nutritious meals)

I agree 100% that nutrition and mental health are related. LOTS of illnesses are RELATED to nutrition, that doesn't mean changing eating habits is the cure. Getting good nutrition helps me...but it's not enough. Also, physical activity is essential for fighting my depression, as important as medication. These things work together, I eat right, I move my body and I take my meds. If I miss any one of those components for any significant amount of time...I begin to relapse.

OP... there's no shame in adding medication to the arsenal of tools you have to fight depression. No one would make you feel bad if you required medication for high blood pressure or chronic migraines. Those illnesses also benefit from good diet and fitness habits...but no one (in their right mind) would ever tell you to skip the meds and just eat right to fix them.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one. I went back on medication for Bipolar 1 today.