how to have a fat free, low calorie diet?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight and cut my calories down but I also want to cut out all fat.

I dont like fish or eggs or mushrooms, does anyone have any recipes or meal suggestions?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Um. Fat is part of good nutrition. Why are you trying to eliminate it?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut out all fat? Your body needs fats in order to lose weight.

I have a ton of recipes in my blog, just look at my page everything is open

And if you want ideas my diary is open. I log individual items most of the time so you can see my recipes by looking at my diary.

I think you mean you want to eat healthy fats.. in that case avocado, nuts, nut butter, pure olive oil are all healthy fats.

Whatever you end up doing, don't fall into the diet food low fat trap. Eat real food.
  • Bekarington
    Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me to cut out all fat as I have gallstones.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You need fats to be healthy. Not eating enough fat in your diet can lead to all sorts of problems

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=60
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You'll have a very hard time cutting out ALL fat and I'm a little surprised your doctor is telling you to do that. Fats are necessary for proper body and brain function. Has your doctor also talked to you about having your gallbladder removed? If he thinks your condition is so bad that you need to avoid fats entirely because of your gallbladder it has to be in pretty poor shape and removal might be better than an extreme low fat diet.

I had my gallbladder out two and a half years ago and I can now eat a normal diet, including 50-60 grams of fats each day, without trouble.

If you're seriously looking for a non fat diet you're talking about eating nothing but vegetables, grains and non-fat dairy products. No meat. You're going to have a difficult time getting enough protein on a diet like that. I'd suggest a protein powder as a supplement but even those have some amount of fat in them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You should get a second opinion. Low fat/no fat diets can make all kinds of things even worse...they make weight loss harder, they increase the risk of heart disease (because you aren't getting your heart healthy fats), they throw your hormones into the twilight zone, etc, etc, etc...

Low fat/no fat diets really are not healthy at all. I would personally clarify with the doctor and go for a 2nd opinion if he's really telling you to cut "all fat."
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was up for having my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago now. When they found it and knew we were going to have to have surgery, they did tell me to avoid high fat foods and trigger foods like dairy and chocolate, but they didn't say to avoid all fat. Dietary fat triggers your gallbladder to release its stored bile and that can cause pain with gallstones. But you should really be looking at getting it removed if your stones are so bad you need to get this drastic. Really, it was the most awesome thing. I went 2 years suffering attacks almost everyday and then the day after surgery, no more attacks and I could eat normally again.
  • Bekarington
    Options
    My doctor didn't really talk much about surgery, she said if it wasn't causing too much issue then not to bother, but I've asked her to refer me to a surgeon to weigh up the pro's and con's.

I asked her about fat, about how many grams I should limit myself too, I asked if I should reduce from the RDA of 70g down to 50g as I'd seen that on the internet. First she didn't know what the RDA was and then she said all fats, I asked about nuts and seeds as I'd heard they would be good, but then she said all fats, but that I should know my triggers.

Thing is, I think I may have had gallstones for years, I had what I think was my first attack a number of years ago and I've eaten badly for years with only a handful of serious attacks in that time, so I do wonder a I being a bit too paranoid?
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Maybe just try staying away from fried foods, maybe not heavily oily sauces, etc... Definately not all fats, because fat is a necessary nutrient!

As for the gallstones, it depends on the severity whether you need surgery or not. If you're really concerned you might want an Xray/MRI/? whatever they do for checking the size. My mom had huge gallstones and needed emergency surgery for it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me to cut out all fat as I have gallstones.

So, this is a short term thing? A totally fat free diet is pretty near impossible, but you would pretty much have to give up meat, eggs and nuts. Stick to low fat white flaky fish or go vegetarian. Beans are a good fat free food. Lots of nutritients, fiber and a decent source of protein. Steam vegetables or "saute" vegetables in broth instead of oil.

I'd go for bean soups as a staple during this time. You can make a variety of satisfying bean soups without fat.

You might also want to consider a fat free vegan protein powder to make sure you get enough protein.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't really talk much about surgery, she said if it wasn't causing too much issue then not to bother, but I've asked her to refer me to a surgeon to weigh up the pro's and con's.

I asked her about fat, about how many grams I should limit myself too, I asked if I should reduce from the RDA of 70g down to 50g as I'd seen that on the internet. First she didn't know what the RDA was and then she said all fats, I asked about nuts and seeds as I'd heard they would be good, but then she said all fats, but that I should know my triggers.

Thing is, I think I may have had gallstones for years, I had what I think was my first attack a number of years ago and I've eaten badly for years with only a handful of serious attacks in that time, so I do wonder a I being a bit too paranoid?
    Time for a second opinion, I'd say. Not serious enough for surgery, but serious enough for you to restrict your fat intake to nothing? :huh:
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist. Your dr doesnt even know what RDA is. Red flag!
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Don't cut fat. Fat is as essential as protein and carbs because it aids the absorption of nutrients and vitamins.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Read this and you are likely to know more than your doctor about dietary fats: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eat. Real. Food.

Concentrate on plant-based, as-few-ingredients-as-possible foods. When you feed your body all kinds of essential nutrients not found in processed foods, your body will thank you. Weight will be lost. You will feel amazing.

It's most likely, however, that your gallbladder will need to come out regardless. Once the little *kitten* is troublesome, you're going to have issues. Do some research and see what foods you should be eating, rather than those you should be avoiding.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I would be very wary about a doctor who didn't even know what RDA was.... that said, I had an issue with gallstones and cut way back on fats for about a month. I have lactose intolerance as well, so couldn't eat yogurt without an attack, so I added Align to my daily morning routine and after about a month, I slowly started adding things back in and I'm back up to a healthy amount again...I still take Align, though!. My father had a pancreatic attack and was told to stay far away from fats for at least a year in order to heal - he could have no more than 5grams of fats per day. But that was really really hard to do and we were never happier when he was able to start adding fats back in again.

These are very extreme cases, however. Get a second opinion.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to another doctor for a second opinion? Because I actually exacerbated my gallbladder problem by eating TOO LITTLE FAT (apparently a gallstone formed on the bile duct because it wasn't getting used enough, and more crystals formed from there). This was back in the 90s when people actually did try to "eliminate all fat" so I actually was down to <15% of calories from fat. Not cool. My situation was a little weird, but still. I had gallbladder problems for years and finally got the surgery. WISH I HAD DONE IT LONG BEFORE it was like "ah, I remember a world without constant pain!"

Frankly, I'm a little worried your doctor is also "profiling" you based on obesity. Weight bias happens with some medical providers, unfortunately, and it can lead to poor treatment. Some doctors will prescribe weight loss lifestyle changes ALONE and not look at the whole range of treatments for obese patients. Lifestyle changes for weight loss are an important part of the program, but they should be part of a complete treatment / management problem. Your doctor's advice sounds limited and extreme.
  • Bekarington
    Options
    They found 2 large gallstones, one was 2cm. The doc seemed to think at that size they wernt likely to go anywhere.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When I finally got my gallbladder taken out, the entire thing was crystallized and the size of a chicken egg. My doctors were legit IMPRESSED.

Also, having gallstones without any symptoms is perfectly normal and does not normally require treatment or extreme lifestyle changes.

But if you have pain, yeah, you're gonna have to do something about it, and an extreme diet isn't going to cut it.

WebMD specifically says that for people who are trying to prevent gallstone formation or exacerbation AND are losing weight, it is important to include a little fat in your diet. Quote from WebMD's article on gallstone prevention follows. NOTE THE LAST LINE:

Gallstones - Prevention
    There is no sure way to prevent gallstones. But you can reduce your risk of forming gallstones that can cause symptoms.

Maintain a healthy weight
    Stay close to a healthy weight. If you need to lose weight, do so slowly and sensibly. When you lose weight by dieting and then you gain weight back again, you increase your risk for gallstones, especially if you are a woman. If you diet, aim for a weight loss of only 1 lb (0.5 kg) to 1.5 lb (0.7 kg) a week.

Eat regular, balanced meals
    Try not to skip meals. Eat on a regular schedule. And eat meals that contain some fat (which causes the gallbladder to empty). This can help prevent gallstones.