Calories Burned Question?

Options
Hi,

So I am wondering if anyone can answer this question. I have read all over online that machines like the treadmill for example, don't accurately tell you the amount of calories burned even after you input your weight and age. They say its usually lower than what the machine say. Ok, I could believe that except....

I have also been reading about calculating calories burned by heart rate. I was monitoring my heart rate on the treadmill today. According to the treadmill I burned 50 calories in a 10 minute walk, but according to my heart rate which was averaging 150, I burned 95 calories. I'm so confused. I just go off what the machine says because I don't want to over estimate and mess up my plan.

Any thoughts??

Replies

• stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think this topic can get easily over thought. I used the number the machine said for a week and lost weight, used what MFP said for the next week, still lost weight. If you are eating back your exercise calories and find that you aren't losing as you would like then maybe try cutting a few calories from what you put in for exercise or eating back less of them to compensate. But at the end of the day it is a simple formula to lose. More calories out than in equals weight loss.
  • chrissiev89
    Options
    try using a calorie counting watch. i believe it calculates the calories burned by your heart rate. they are a bit pricey but are worth it.