QUESO or cheese dip?

Options

Replies

• KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/authentic-chile-con-queso-recipe

"If you’re like most Texans, you were probably weaned on the stuff, no doubt ladled from a crockpot abubble with Ro-Tel and Velveeta, that addictive yellow loaf of pasteurized cheese product."
  • juiletflt
    Options
    Yes... I know the translation... I'm talking about food wise what I consider to be queso.

And I'm being sarcastic and snarky...and making fun of you...because this isn't like a serious thread or anything....:drinker:

Also...chile...not chili...LOL:smokin:

Ok... I'll give you the chile not chili. :wink:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I don't call it anything, because I haven't ever eaten it.

Now THAT is a shame.

It's queso here.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I make the absolute best cheese dip in the whole world. But I love queso when I'm out at a restaurant.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I laugh when I hear people order queso cheese dip. Redundant!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes... I know the translation... I'm talking about food wise what I consider to be queso.

And I'm being sarcastic and snarky...and making fun of you...because this isn't like a serious thread or anything....:drinker:

Also...chile...not chili...LOL:smokin:

Ok... I'll give you the chile not chili. :wink:

K....that's what friends are for...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I usually call it "nacho cheese" as "queso" is an actual type of cheese that is NOT the typical "nacho cheese" and "cheese dip" just implies gooey cheese with no spicy goodness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queso_blanco

But now that I've read wikipedia, I have remembered that "queso" actually translates to "cheese" so I am lost.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Good grief. That's even worse than just "cheese dip." WTF is wrong with people???
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So you do know that Queso just means "cheese" in spanish? It doesn't actually refer to "cheese dip with peppers" like most americans believe.

Just like Salsa just means "sauce" in spanish. You can have all kinds of salsa that isn't pace picante.

O_o
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I guess what it should be called is "queso con rotel".
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I guess what it should be called is "queso con rotel".

Wouldn't it be Rotel con queso? Like.. you know... Chile con queso? ;)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    So you do know that Queso just means "cheese" in spanish? It doesn't actually refer to "cheese dip with peppers" like most americans believe.

Just like Salsa just means "sauce" in spanish. You can have all kinds of salsa that isn't pace picante.

O_o

Yes. I was born in Mexico and grew up in San Antonio so I am, in fact, aware that queso means cheese. That doesn't make it less wrong to call queso cheese dip. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Depends...nachos require a spicy queso dip. Pretzels and bread require cheese dip. The only fake cheese allowed is velveeta for queso dip, and real cheese for a cheese dip.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Good grief. That's even worse than just "cheese dip." WTF is wrong with people???

We called it the Rio Grande (grand) River in New Mexico, LOL!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    We called it the Rio Grande (grand) River in New Mexico, LOL!

We call the Guadalupe (Guad-a-loop) here in Texas, LOL!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

O_o

Yes. I was born in Mexico and grew up in San Antonio so I am, in fact, aware that queso means cheese. That doesn't make it less wrong to call queso cheese dip. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, well in GA when ordering at restaurants we ask for cheese dip. Not queso.

So, cheese dip. With chiles.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    That's Nacho cheese
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    As long as it ends with molten cheese on crispy things does it matter? Can't we all just unite under the banner or cheese tolerance and get along?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    this is my favorite post of the day because it's talking about cheese. I agree if it comes in cheese form "a rose by any other name is still a rose."