Calories low, fat high...

Options
the past few days I've come in under my allotted calories for the day, but my overall fat consumption is high. What's more important to target - calories or fat?
I know I should aim for both, but I'm new at this and starting slow... no negative feedback please - I'll totally call you out on it! lol

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your fats from healthy sources like greek yogurt or avocados? If so, don't worry about going voer on fat and focus on your calorie goal. If you are getting most of your fat from greasy foods like fries you might want to lower the amount of that and replace it with something different. Fat is healthy, your body needs it to survive, so don't feel bad about going over.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    calories

Dietary fat is actually good for you*. Mfp usually has the fat and protein targets set to low. I actually view the protein and fat targets MFP has set as minimums.

*Except trans, transfat (if I remember correctly), is actually bad for you.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Want to meet your calorie target and your protein target.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories are the best thing to track unless you have a reason to need to restrict a certain macro.

Just a hint: the forums aren't going to be a good place for you if you want rainbows and unicorns!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    calories in/out for weight loss. Once you get that all straight you can start manipulating your macro-nutrients. Also, dietary fat is essential and most people who "diet" cut out way to much and just make numerous other problems worse.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You want to try and get your fat calories from healthier calories, which means not too much fried stuff, pretty much. After that, it's really not a huge deal if you're over. I try not to because I have reflux though, lol! But overall as long as you're under your calories, it's a good start.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem of high fat days is that it takes calories away from my protein intake. That's the problem I usually run into when I'm reckless with my fat calories early in the day - it's just something I pay attention to.

Edited: grammar are gud.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    calories

Dietary fat is actually good for you*. Mfp usually has the fat and protein targets set to low. I actually view the protein and fat targets MFP has set as minimums.

*Except trans, transfat (if I remember correctly), is actually bad for you.

Believe it or not, but there are naturally occurring trans fats that AREN'T bad for you found in meat (and I think dairy), but I anticipate people will need another decade before that's accepted.

OP, calories are ultimately what you should focus on. If you're concerned about macros, it's a better idea to be more balanced or emphasis protein when eating at a deficit... but high fat is not necessarily bad.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I try to balance my macros, but if I have a day where I hit the right number of calories, I just note what caused the out of balance with the macros and do better the next day. I think the # of Calories is #1, then macros, but it gets easier the more you do it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Calories! I typically eat a lot fewer carbs and a lot more fat and protein than MFP suggests. Also your username makes me sad too. Even at 360 pounds I didn't feel gross... I felt less than ideally healthy. I felt resolve to change. I felt the desire to do more physically... but never gross or ashamed. It makes me sad that you feel this way I hope as you focus more on honoring your body by engaging in physical activity and filling yourself with healthy foods, your outlook will change and you will feel better about yourself no mater WHAT size body you are living in. ((hugs))
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. Calories out. The only reason to avoid foods high in fats would be their high calorie content as fat is 9/calories per gram vs. the 4/gram in protein and carbohydrates.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Each macronutrient has a job to do so keep this in mind when I say: Calories for weight loss, macros to support body composition.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Calories. Fats help keep you full (along with protein) longer. And of course, there are healthy fats to lean towards.

If you're starting out, then I'd say first get a hold of calories and make that your focus. Then work on macros (ratio calories from fats/protein/carbs). If you're worried about your macros, you can research the different ratios people use and change them on your diary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calories.. In fact, I would suggest changing macro's to incorporate more protein and fats. I would generally suggest around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Generally, you want to aim around 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lbm. Also, fat and protein for satiety.
  • sofatimgross
    Options
    Mokey41 - thanks for the tip - good thing I'm looking for neither rainbows or unicorns... have read some negative comments though, just going for the pre-emptive strike! lol

Thanks everyone else for the tips - the fats I'm eating aren't particularly good fats, but like I said, I'm starting slow... at least now I know I don't have to stress toooooo much about having screwed this up from the get go! lol
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    fat is not the enemy...as long as its healthy fats...nuts, fish, avocados, etc..
  • lexi1301
    lexi1301 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you shouldn't worry about that at all. Even saturated fat is probably pretty good for you. Just try to avoid trans fats (and this includes anything with hydrogenated vegetable oil even if the trans fat is not marked).

My diet is currently 40- 50% fat, 20% protein, and 30-40% carbs and i've never felt better. I'm losing 2lb a week consistently. Every other diet i have been on in the past has led me to give up after a few months after feeling very deprived, and it left my hair and skin lacking too. In fact i ate a low fat vegetarian diet for the majority of the period that i gained 70lb. I think this was because i was never satisfied and ate massive portions to compensate.

Giving up low fat food is the best thing i ever did. So i highly recommend that you get enough protein and stay within your calories and you will do fine.

Good luck :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fat is not the enemy...as long as its healthy fats...nuts, fish, avocados, etc..

Can I ask what you consider bad fat? Because the only bad fat for a person is transfat.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of people have already said . . . fat from healthy sources is a good thing, and it's only if it's mostly from greasy/fried/whatever foods that you need to worry, if that makes sense.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Agree with comment above about the username. It has to go... you are NOT gross. You can't call yourself that!

Please change it. :smile: