Does Detoxing Help?

Options
Hey

I just got back from a cruise, I went a couple seminars on the ship and one of them was about getting a flatter belly. Basically they said that you need to Detox to help your liver out as it can't keep up with today's crap (pesticides, growth hormones and etc).

They said most people do exercise and try to eat healthy but you also need the detox part to complete everything together.

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. They tried to sell me some test for $57 what basically would tell me how many months of detoxing I would need to do and of course they would sell me that as well ($100 /month with 3 months min).

I decided not to go for it as it was too much money and had no way of researching the product, I also did not want my emotions to play into it as I must admit I am quite concerned that I won't lose my gut. I am at 127 pounds and I really don't want to lose too much weight as I will be just too skinny then.

I looked up the product and it seems like they sell on all the cruise ships and has really mixed results.

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes, detoxing is extremely effective at wasting money, time, and energy. In reality, it's best just to start by monitoring your macros/calories and working out. Consistency will pay off from there.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight fast on cruise ships, don't wash your hands. Decent chance to lose 12+ pounds in a few days.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is a scam.
    If you want to lose weight, eat less and move more.
  • tbblake
    tbblake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Never detoxed, lost 168 pounds. Kinda speaks for itself.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dont eat anything with pesticides or growth hormones :)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    MOTS - detox is a natural process your body performs without special products.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If your liver is normal, it doesn't need any help with detoxing.
  • chobo2
    Options
    If you want to lose weight fast on cruise ships, don't wash your hands. Decent chance to lose 12+ pounds in a few days.

LOL that's why they have washy washy guys there :)

Guess the over whelming majority seems to say detoxing is a waste. Anyone have any articles to back it up one way or another?

I guess I am trying to find answers why it is so hard for me to lose my gut. I exercise like 10 hours a week (weight and cardio mixture), eat healthy with good portion control (been losing on average pound a week) but I am getting to a point that I feel like if I keep losing weight I am going to be way to skinny and won't look good especially if I am really skinny everywhere but have a gut.

I really don't want to go below 122 pounds (I am almost 5'8 ) and I am getting closer and closer yet my stomach seems to barley shrink.