Protein Advice

Options
My MFP goal is 1,200 calories. I currently am doing a hybrid of Insanity/Blogilates and I burn about 500-1000 calories 5-6 days a week. I know it's a lot but it seems to be working for me in some cases (damn love handles are taking forever to go away). I am now trying to eat more during the day to get my net calories where they should be. My question is on the daily percentages with macros. I eat about 120 grams of protein before I workout. When I workout, the number increases. It says I should be at 170 grams post workout. Is this because of the protein/carb loss during the workout? I workout at night, by the way, so I eat all of my meals (except post workout, obviously) before I workout. Any advice?

Weight: 135
Height: 5'8''
Macros: 40c/35p/25f

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would set your calories to 1800, 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. That should help you hit 1g of protein per lb of lbm and .35g of fat. And this way, you don't have to worry about exercise calories. If after the program you still struggle with love handles, i would look into body beast and pack on some muscle. This will lower your effective body fat. Sometimes when you dont see enough definition its because you lack enough muscle mass. And 135lb is fairly low for your height.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Macro targets change because your calorie target changes with exercise. 35% of 1200 < 35% of 2200.

Something you can think about doing is switching to a TDEE-based target. Then you won't worry about logging exercise calories and dealing with changing calorie/macro targets.
  • lexi1301
    lexi1301 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem and it really annoyed me, then i found this.

http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

It's really simple and It allows you to input your goals in gram amounts, or a mixture of gram and %.

I think it's great and that MFP should have this function built in. So thanks to the guy that did it!
  • britdias
    britdias Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So should I eat 120 grams of protein then workout and have my shake or should I stop at 100 and have my shake after to equal 120? I'm doing one gram per lean body mass
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So should I eat 120 grams of protein then workout and have my shake or should I stop at 100 and have my shake after to equal 120? I'm doing one gram per lean body mass

Here's some good stuff by Layne Norton regarding protein:
    http://jerrybruton.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/10-meals-per-day-optimum-for-protein-digestion-by-layne-norton.pdf
  • psuLemon
    Options
    '

whatever personal preference. Overall, there still isn't any concentrate evidence that supports one over the other. Most of the studies do not look at 24 hour periods but rather small window's post workout.
  • britdias
    britdias Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You have been the most help to me out of everyone I've asked. I have been active my whole life and during my last year of college (graduated in May) I gained 20 lbs. I'm trying to get back to a toned and possibly have a better body. This was my only concern. I honestly and thankful that you replied. I didn't wanna eat too much protein. I know that the body will just eliminate what it doesn't need but I also know too much protein is bad for your intestines. Glad to know that I am not overdoing it. At max, I am having 140ish grams a day- if I'm really hungry. Thank you again!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you! You have been the most help to me out of everyone I've asked. I have been active my whole life and during my last year of college (graduated in May) I gained 20 lbs. I'm trying to get back to a toned and possibly have a better body. This was my only concern. I honestly and thankful that you replied. I didn't wanna eat too much protein. I know that the body will just eliminate what it doesn't need but I also know too much protein is bad for your intestines. Glad to know that I am not overdoing it. At max, I am having 140ish grams a day- if I'm really hungry. Thank you again!

I wouldn't worry if you go over your protein. There just isn't a benefit from 120g to 140g. But it definitely can't hurt.