Pain I just don't understand...

Options
I don't understand why I have pain when walking for exercise. I work at a very fast paced job where I'm running around like a mad woman and my legs don't hurt. As soon as I get on the treadmill or go for a walk I have this horrible pain in my lower legs. My description of what it feels like is someone pulling my muscles out through my feet. I have to stop several times and I'm moments from actual tears. Pace wise I'm probably walking at a faster pace at work. I would think elevation being different but my treadmill is flat and some of the sidewalk I'm on is flat. So, I just don't get it. Also, when I do aerobics or anything other than walking for exercise I don't have the pain. So, I'm pretty confused as to what is going on. Anyone have the same thing going on? If so what can I do to help it or better yet stop it?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds like bad shoes or something. Do you wear different shoes at work?
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Shoes would be my guess. If you wear heels for work your calf muscles may be extra tight or even shortened, in which case you'll need to spend more time stretching, and possibly see a physiotherapist if there's no improvement. And if you haven't already done so, invest in a good pair of walking or running shoes for your workouts.
  • cinicxo
    cinicxo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You know, when I would go on walks I would often have pain in my calf's where it would feel like they're trying to rip though my skin, the only difference when I would walk to workout and walk normally was my shoes, and sometimes where I walked so like roundgal said it could definitely be your shoes
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A treadmill makes my shins hurt, I can walk the same pace on pretty much any other surface and I don't get the shin pain. So I don't use them.

I think it's something about using an unnatural gait and how you are striking the ground on a treadmill. Also it's a freakin' hard surface.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try the following:
    - New tennis shoes
    - inserts ( i use Super feet inserts, they ROCK)
    - USE A FOAM ROLLER TO STRETCH. this will not be an immediate fix, but you will see this thing is a miracoulous thing. Made my hip knee and shin splints go away....

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/almost-magical-foam-roller?page=single
  • pintobean82
    Options
    I guess I should add that I do have good shoes and I use the same for exercise and work. I had some foot issues a while back and I have to make sure I have good shoes.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I read/heard this but it's my understanding that walking on the treadmill is not the same as walking outdoors. What I recall reading was that if you walk on the treadmill to always have it on at least 1% incline, or something like that. At the least it said not to leave it flat. That can cause some issues. Not sure if that's helpful.