Is weight loss distributed throughout the body?

Options
So I am trying to lose a few pounds but the only area where I really need to lose fat is in my thighs and I have read about people on here saying they diet and workout and everything but still have big thighs so i was wondering when i lose weight will the weight be lost everywhere on my body or will it just be taken out of certain areas that my body "chooses" to take it from? Or does it take it from the areas with the most fat? Is it possible that I will forever have these thighs because of my genetics? I don't really see how it would be possible for it to stay because the people in the holocaust obviously weren't left with certain parts of their bodies still fat.. I don't know I have just read all these condescending things that are starting to discourage me.. plus a lot of the people I know tell me I won't be able to lose weight because of genetics.. Although no one in my family is overweight except my dad who was a little chubby but certainly not obese.. Also, about how many pounds must you lose before you are able to notice it? Sorry for all the questions I am just a little confused. Thank you for your time.

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just like we cannot direct where we gain weight we cannot control where we lose it.

I have large thighs and I know I will always have large thighs, I can tone them up but they will always be larger than I prefer.

I started losing weight above the waist and saw things with the way my clothing fit all over but more up top. I lost a lost in the breast area, I don't think I was this small when I much smaller I am sure gravity has something to do with that :smile:

If you store the majority of body fat in your thighs you can lose that but you may lose a lot more everywhere else in the meantime. There is no formula or trick to forcing fat from specific areas - I really wish there was.

I told my training I did not want to work on my upper half because I did not want it any leaner because it would just make my lower half look that much bigger.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can't pick where the weight comes off, you just have to stick to a calorie deficit, exercise & be patient. As far as not being able to lose weight because of genetics....not true.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is NOT distributed evenly. Now there are exercises for specific areas, but generally weight loss is spread out. I wish someone could find my boobs!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost them on the track I guess.... sniff
  • Ilovehersheys
    Ilovehersheys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, over time is it distributed evenly?.. I know right away it won't but once the fat is all gone from a certain area it will move on to others, correct?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genetics will determine where you lose body fat, even at the end of the day. Body composition will determine how lean you look. BTW, what are your stats? Because sometimes it's not a matter of how low you can go, it's a matter of your muscle mass vs fat mass (aka body composition). This is why people can gain weight be get leaner and tighter bodies..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102920-up-5-lbs-before-and-after

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Movinon1111
    Options
    You can tone up the areas that you think need it, like your thighs, or bingo wings(flabby arms), even your tummy. However, your weight loss will come from all over, you'll lose centimetres from your waist, thighs, legs and arms, but I notice it mostly from my boobs, like the other ladies. I go up and down a full 2 sizes in the band, and at least two cup sizes as well.
    The best part is you'll lose your "Visceral fat", which is the bad fat that accumulates around your organs. It is this fat that increases your chances of heart disease, fatty liver and high cholesterol. Exercise is the best way to ensure that your weight loss is safe and you stay healthy.