Runners: Why am I so tired?

Options
I've been running for a few months now. I run outside about 2 miles at a time usually. I run 2-3 times/week. I also do strength workouts (dumbbells, abs, etc) on the days I don't run. The last few times I've gone for a run, I find that I'm completely exhausted a couple hours later. I'm sitting here falling asleep at my desk. I could absolutely fall sound asleep right now. When I do my strength workouts I don't have this problem. And I swear I didn't used to have this problem.

I don't think I've changed anything. The only thing I can think of is that it's getting close to the time change and I have been dragging myself out of bed in the mornings a lot more than I used to. So maybe it's just a matter of not getting enough sleep. But I feel fine when I've done my dumbbell workouts. It's the running days where I'm completely exhausted. Any thoughts on why? Would lifting weights for a few minutes after running help? :yawn:

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you're getting up earlier more regularly, it's most likely that you aren't getting enough sleep. go to bed earlier the night before you want to go for an early run.

also, stay on top of your nutrition. you might find that if you are working out more often, you need more food. it's normal.
  • Caliban036
    Options
    I second what Apollo said. You need to make sure you are getting enough rest. I went through the same thing (I run at 5am) and just had to start forcing myself to go to bed earlier.

It's worth it though
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You probably need to take a few days off. Two or three 2 mile runs per week shouldn't be exhausting you; that's only 5 miles per week in mileage. It's probably either the rest of the training regime is too much, or you're not getting enough rest! Throw in a 4 miler then see how you feel!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I also get beyond exhausted when running, and I only do that amount as well. In to hear what people have to say!
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I wake up early to run, too, and I've been running for about two years now. I run three to four miles a day, four to six days a week, and I've had the same problem. For me it was definitely about getting enough sleep and making sure to eat right. Nobody's very productive if they don't sleep enough so when you add running to lack of sleep it's much easier to burn out.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do you recharge after your run? Protein powder with some milk is a great recovery drink. Like others have said 2 miles shouldn't really drain you, make sure you are eating enough and getting enough sleep. My long runs usually leave me exhausted but them are 10-15 miles and after a 30 minute nap I am usually good to go = )
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to make myself go to bed earlier and see if that helps. I've been getting 7 - 7 1/2 hours of sleep, which is pretty normal for me, but maybe I need a bit more. I also need to rethink my eating after running. I don't eat before I run. When I get home, I have a lot of water, and then eat about an hour later. Usually it's a bagel thin and cream cheese. That's what I had this morning. It's 7 grams of protein. Maybe that's not enough. I just made myself a piece of toast and sunbutter. That's another 10 grams of protein, and I am feeling more energized now. So maybe that's the biggest issue - lack of protein after running. Maybe I'll start having a protein shake in the mornings to wake me up more after my runs.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Prenatal vitamins always help me
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Change your routine.

Make sure yo8 are not only eating enough, but also: runners NEED carbohydrates for muscles, especially as it gets colder.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A 2 mile run a few times a week doesn't require a special diet - I would just drink some coffee!
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you get enough sleep and eat a reasonable amount of calories to fuel your workout you may have a B12 deficiency. Try taking supplements and see if it helps.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem a few years back. What helped me?
    -drink more water
    -eat more in general
    -get more sleep
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So definitely look at your diet and sleep, because 2 miles shouldn't be doing you in.

I'll put this out there as something that I noticed to be true for me. When I was in the 15-20 miles per week range, running made me pretty tired. Now that I'm solidly at 30+, I'm never tired. Not even a little. I have more energy than I've ever had in my life, but 30 mpw was the trigger.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was going to suggest: run more-- as a part of "changing routine"
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I only really get tired after longs of 12 miles or more. You may want to adjust your macro nutrients...a little more carb maybe. And if you up the carbs, make sure they are slow digesting carbs (e.g. sweet potatoes, strawberries...etc.) You don't want to spike you blood sugar and get into a bad cycle.

get at least 7 hrs sleep a day. Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe make an appointment with your doctor. Maybe your fatigue has nothing to do with exercise. Being on cautious side won't hurt.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before I run and a protein shake when I'm finished. Also be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
  • Spiritrose
    Spiritrose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was going to suggest: run more-- as a part of "changing routine"

I was also going to suggest this, except adding mileage is only one way to go. Try incorporating intervals, hills & speed workouts into your run. You'll be less bored & it'll amp up your metabolism again the way it did when you first started workout out. I like the Runner's World magazine & website for ideas.

And if your nutrition is otherwise balanced, you will definitely need more healthy carbs on your run days, especially if you mix up your runs. Try an oatmeal snack in the mornings at work and/or air-popped popcorn in the afternoons. Google "carb cycling." I haven't tried it, but it might sound good to you. Basically you eat more carbs, less protein on the days you run (or any cardio) and you eat more protein, less carbs on the days you lift weights.

Good luck!!
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have also been running for just a few months, and pretty much every run left me worn out for the rest of the day at the beginning. Recently, I got into a pattern of doing 2 5k runs plus one 10k run per week, and just this weekend I realized that I no longer feel wiped out on my 5k run days, and that even the 10k runs aren't draining me the way shorter runs used to. I think I needed a few months to improve my overall fitness (and lose 20 pounds) before running could become less of a whole-body energy drain. FYI, I haven't significantly changed my sleeping or eating habits in the past few months, beyond the initial switch to a lower-calorie diet.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is what has been happening to me! I run 4.5 miles twice a week and after about an hour post exercise I am so tired. I will sleep like for 4 hours wrecking the rest of my day! I usually will eat a piece of fruit and a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter afterwards, but maybe I should be eating more. Thanks for creating this thread. I thought it was just in my head.

Myra