Itchy tummy when working out

Options
I've noticed that there are times when I am doing cardio that the skin on my stomach gets very itchy. Anyone know why this happens?? It's so strange!

Replies

• elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Me too and my thighs. I always thought it was just my fat jiggling lol.
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This has also happened to me a few times, but I'm not exactly sure what causes this strange sensation.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you have jiggly bits it can get itchy. Compression wear can help with that. Also some people experience itching when blood vessels dilate, often the cause of itchy legs when running.
  • Jgonz1203
    Jgonz1203 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Me too and my thighs. I always thought it was just my fat jiggling lol.

HAHA maybe that's what it is then! :laugh: I've had a kid (c-section) so my stomach has a little extra!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you have jiggly bits it can get itchy. Compression wear can help with that. Also some people experience itching when blood vessels dilate, often the cause of itchy legs when running.

Hmph. Who knew?
    I used to get it a lot. It's been awhile since I did. I never knew why.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I think its just the sweat irritating my skin.
  • Jgonz1203
    Jgonz1203 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That does makes sense!

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who gets this!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing I was itchy all the time. I fell off the wagon of healthy eating for a while and when I started again I went through the itchy thing again.

I have NO CLUE and I'm completely making this up, but after it happened the second time I thought maybe it's part of my body detoxing...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I think its just the sweat irritating my skin.

Oh I still sweat. A lot.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I get it to, Im fairly sure its increased peripheral circulation. It eventually stops as you work out more
  • vaultgirlsam
    vaultgirlsam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, pay attention to what you're eating/doing before your workout.
    I used to break out in hives when I went to the gym. Come to find out it was because of what I was eating before I went that was causing me to have an allergic reaction when I sweat.

...obviously I am no doctor. This was just my experience. :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin. You see, there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. 

The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Like others pointed out, it's normally areas that I haven't engaged in a while that start to itch ( stomach/inner thighs).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin. You see, there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. 

The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level.

this kind of.... mine only sort of stops- even in great shape for CC mid season- I was still having really bad itch problems- and it was definitely a sub itch feeling- like a circuilation issue... it was so bad I'd scratch myself raw or just have to stop- I was in literal pain.

It would often start in my quads- work upwards to my stomach- back to my hammy's and down into my calves.

WORST. THING.EVER.
    My doctor thought I might literally be allergic to working out and suggested a zurtec preworkout. I don't do much cardio any more- but it awas almost always an issue with running and swimming.

Man I'm glad i'm not alone- people thought I was fricking NUTS in high school and college.... so painful too!