MFP Biking Challenge July 6

Options

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Well I did get my son's room painted. I still have a huge piece of pegboard to hang over his closet for all his hats...but mostly I am done. He came home yesterday and loved it.

I rode 27.2 today with my husband. It was a tough ride. Lots of hills, but it felt good!

Mon - 11
    Weds - 18
    Sat -27.2
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well I did get my son's room painted. I still have a huge piece of pegboard to hang over his closet for all his hats...but mostly I am done. He came home yesterday and loved it.

I rode 27.2 today with my husband. It was a tough ride. Lots of hills, but it felt good!

Mon - 11
    Weds - 18
    Sat -27.2

Happy to hear your son loved his room!

Happy riding everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Tuesday: 25
    28 Miles. Check
    Wednesday: 15 - 14 Miles. Check
    Thursday: 45 ---- 51 miles Check
    Saturday: 15
    9.5 miles

Total miles: 102

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • stschulz
    Options
    Tuesday: 25
    28 Miles. Check
    Wednesday: 15 - 14 Miles. Check
    Thursday: 45
    51 Miles Check
    Saturday: 15
    10 Miles Check

Sorry for the double post, first update did not post the entire text.

Total : 102 Miles

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    YEY for your miles!!! WOW!!! Do you have a set place you ride or just all over?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, Steff! I'm back on the bike tomorrow morning! Planning on doing 15 or so tomorrow then a big one on Tuesday.
  • stschulz
    Options
    Princess: I have different routes that I explored over the years. For long rides I have a veeeeery quiet route down the Delaware river. Shorter rides I ride in the neighborhood.

Actually the last 9 miles were very hard. I am working this wekend, Saturday morning after 12 hrs I was too tired, this morning I was tired too after work bt had to finish my last miles. I was dragging. Funny how you ride 50 miles relatively easy one day and then have trouble doing 10 the next.

shorerider: can you ride a few miles for me? I have to take my break week.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow! I was really looking forward to jumping back on the bike but now they're calling for rain! :sad: :sad: And my hubby even said he'd ride with me since I promised to just do a "short" 15 or so ride. It better not rain, that's all I've got to say!
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    20 miles Saturday
    7.5 miles Sunday and went hiking with the Mrs.
    Who knows tomorrow?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Filled out my hours with a 21 mile bike ride on saturday, for a grand total of 37 miles for the week.

Funny enough, my bike ride's halfway point was when the trail I was on decided to get overgrown with brush - enough that I couldn't see the log in my way. I ended up crotching myself on my front fork and smacking myself in the back of my head with the rear tire.

Luckily I wasn't hurt, and I just laughed at myself. The bike was fine too, just popped the chain.

Plenty of wild raspberries along the trail though - couldn't stop myself from stopping and having a snack and some water here and there. Great trail!!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Msarro!

How'd the date go?

BTW, I start a new thread every Monday for the biking challenge--just so you know.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The date went awesome! :)
    I was just updating my post from last week for posterity... didn't get to do it on saturday!
  • shorerider
    Options
    The date went awesome! :)
    I was just updating my post from last week for posterity... didn't get to do it on saturday!

Cool! Hope she's a rider!
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    Shorerider thanks for hosting the cycle challenge! I tried to do this early in the year but did not have as much activity as you have here.

I set my goal for 1500 miles this year that is an average of 125 a month. I thought at the time I set it was a stretch because I had not been on my bike for years and when I did ride it was 5 miles 4-5 times a week. Now I am averaging 30-50 miles a week and I still think that is awesome. But now reading about all your rides mine is on the low end of the scale. Maybe that is why I'm not losing any weight.

From here on to the end of the year it will be tough to keep my riding up to 4-6 days during the week. Work, volunteer work(less than in the past) and I will go back to school in August. Since the kids are gone now I want to finish. If I can finish school before my youngest graduates that will be great.

So riding is starting to take a back seat to life. I am pushing to get 50-60 minutes of riding in 3-5 times a week. This week I will hit 900 YTD miles and my goal for this week 37 miles. I am journaling on Bike Journal if anyone uses it you can find me with the same name as I have here.

Sunday - 15
    Monday - 11
    Tue-Thur - Grand Jury Duty (will try evening short rides just before sunset)
    Friday - ? Out of town leaving late (might ride in the morning if I can)
    Sat - ? Out of town

I'm going to visit my kids in Dallas so I don't think I will take my bike this time. Time with the Grandbabies and my daughter is leaving for Germany for the year so cycling needs to take a backseat. The following week we will be out of town for 5 days but thinking of taking my bike on that trip. I ride in hill country here but on our trip it will be the mountains. (At least it will be cooler)

If I had flat, lower humidity and cooler weather with a road bike I could really put the miles in. I am riding a MTB so much slower in hill country. I can only ride in the morning with the heat so bad right now so it takes away from time I would normally be riding. 6am is tough for a long period of time especially on top of getting up early for jury duty.

My hundred 125-150 a month is nothing compared to your 125-150 per week.

Shoreline thanks for the quotes I enjoyed everyone of them!

LtSoccerMom
  • shorerider
    Options
    Soccermom,

Your rides are great! You're doing more than most people by just getting out there and doing something! And the amount you're doing is just fine.

Just realize that we have different goals and purposes is all.

I started riding simply as a means of exercise with the intent to ride maybe an hour a day--if that. But I discovered a passion for riding and now have more then "just weight loss" as a goal when it comes to riding.

My goal is go ride in a 2 metric centurys in Oct-that's 64 miles per each one--and then to ride a Century by next year (that's a 100 miles ride). Once I have those goals accomplished, who knows? I just love to ride-and thankfully I have the time available to do so. But to accomplish these goals, I have to ride longer and longer and further and further each week.

So, see, our goals are different--the intent of the challenge was not to challenge each other but to challenge ourselves--to get out there and do it! To do whatever makes you feel good, helps you lose weight, and puts you on the road to a healthy life. It sounds like that's what biking is helping you do--so the idea is working!

keep at it--you'll do fine! But don't be surprised if you,too discover an inner passion for riding!
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    The riding bug has already hit. I love the outdoors and I have an old knee injury that keeps me from playing tennis and soccer. So riding was a natural draw for me to keep me outdoors. The gym is not a place that holds my attention. Since I have stepped up my riding I want a Road bike but I will not get one until I have completed 1 full year of riding and met my goals. I understand the internal goals but right now is tough on me because I want to ride more but I don't have the time to do it nor the ability after work in the heat. I'm frustrated right now because the desire and passion is there but the time and weather is beating me.

Not to worry I will continue to ride and work on my weight for my health, I MUST!!! I began in January to make a change in my life because my BP was VERY high so I decide to make serious changes and pass up meds. After a month my BP was showing improvement but weight losses did not start for 3 months. Then the weight loss stopped and I had to make some changes. Even though I am riding I still needed to make further changes in how I did my riding and what types of food I needed to eat.

I am working on a 35+ fiber diet and I will let y'all know how it goes. I have high hopes with the changes in what I am eating even though I am eating the same calories it should have a positive impact.

I do have some solid goals for my riding and nothing will get in the way of that. I just wish I had the ability to ride more miles in the same time I put into my riding. My MTB is called "The Little Engine That Could" by many of my club riders because they just don't expect to see me at the next SAG stops or see my published journal with all my rides.

I'm not ready to do the metric century or the century but I want to get enough weight off me by next year to do the Danskin. I don't want to run until my weight is under control.

Thanks for the cycling challenge. Like I said I tried it early in the year with nobody interested. Glad to see the interest even if I can't keep up with y'all! But know I am well over my goal for the year so all is well in Texas Hill Country.

LtSoccerMom
  • cecreech
    Options
    19 miles today. Feeling pretty good. I hope to see the scale move tomorrow morning. I have been a very good boy. :blushing:
  • stschulz
    Options
    Soccermom,

Your rides are great! You're doing more than most people by just getting out there and doing something! And the amount you're doing is just fine.

Just realize that we have different goals and purposes is all.

I started riding simply as a means of exercise with the intent to ride maybe an hour a day--if that. But I discovered a passion for riding and now have more then "just weight loss" as a goal when it comes to riding.

My goal is go ride in a 2 metric centurys in Oct-that's 64 miles per each one--and then to ride a Century by next year (that's a 100 miles ride). Once I have those goals accomplished, who knows? I just love to ride-and thankfully I have the time available to do so. But to accomplish these goals, I have to ride longer and longer and further and further each week.

So, see, our goals are different--the intent of the challenge was not to challenge each other but to challenge ourselves--to get out there and do it! To do whatever makes you feel good, helps you lose weight, and puts you on the road to a healthy life. It sounds like that's what biking is helping you do--so the idea is working!

keep at it--you'll do fine! But don't be surprised if you,too discover an inner passion for riding!
  • stschulz
    Options
    Sorry about the previous wrong post.

Your rides are not only great soccermom, you can not compare 60 minutes on the mountain bike to what some of us are doing on the road bike. Much hrder to ride 60 minutes on a mountain bike and a trail than on the road! (Saying that I believe the exercise part on this site does not reflect this.

You are doing great!
  • cecreech
    Options
    60 miles for the day
    85 for the week. :wink: