New York

lesleyann21
lesleyann21 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
:happy:

Hi

I am going 2 ny in a couple o weeks can any1 rec what i shud eat to keep my calories low?

Thanks

Lesley x

Replies

• Good luck! Actually in NYC a lot of places list their calories so that should be helpful. However the fancier upscale restaurants might not have the calories listed!

Have a great time in the city that never sleeps!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Honestly, if this is to be a lifestyle, to me anyways, that means indulging sometimes. You don't get fat in a day or a weekend. It's the longer term trends of behavior that make all the difference. Remember, even to gain 5 lbs of fat you'd have to eat 17,500 calories ABOVE your maintenance!

Yes, eat to live rather than live to eat and all that stuff. But still, it's human nature to derive pleasure from eating and with my clients, I try my best to keep them from such rigidity where they feel they need to eat "diet foods" while heading on a trip.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Bravo Steve! "Finally" (realistic) Well said!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I live in NYC, and tend to go to those "create your own salad" places for my lunch hour. Besides that, I really have no help to offer, since I don't eat out much.

BUT...this is serious...you MUST MUST MUST save calories for an authentic slice of New York pizza. Being a NY'er, this is really my all-time favorite food. Whenever I feel the need to induldge, I head straight to the pizzeria!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    She is right!!! In NYC, it is a law that restaurants show nutrition info on their menus. Even Starbucks and DD has to do it!!!
    Good luck! Actually in NYC a lot of places list their calories so that should be helpful. However the fancier upscale restaurants might not have the calories listed!

Have a great time in the city that never sleeps!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Walk as much as you can between tourist destinations and you'll earn enough calories to eat out :)
  • angelsxzist
    angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
    You should have an idea of portion size and calories of certain food items before you go. What do you think you will eat while you are there? Eat whatever "legal" foods you want, just keep in mind the size of the portion. Carry some fruit or cereal bars with you while your walking around town. They will curb your appetite between mealtime. But I also agree with Steve. If you cheat with [1] piece of pizza (just 1 now), it's not going to hurt you. Just be careful and don't get down on yourself and think, "oh I blew it, I might as well eat more pizza". I have been on 'diets' before and I always "cheat" on weekends then I would eat the "right" way for the rest of the week. It gave me something to look forward to and made the dieting a lot more easy. I always lost weight the way I was suppose. (2 to 3 lbs per week) Personally, I think that "cheating" weekends boosts the metabolism.
    Do you have an iphone? If so, get the MYP app. If not, just pre-plan and write down a menu you want to follow and try hard to stick to it. Will you have a computer? Do you have a Twitter account? If you need support, come here or tweet someone. I just opened a Twitter account specifically for MFP support. If you have an account you can follow me @angelsxzist and I will follow you. If you are having a hard time in New York(or any other time), and you're not able to come to this forum, you can vent your frustrations(or whatever else your feeling) on twitter. Good luck, have fun, and I envy you.:bigsmile:
  • alan79
    alan79 Posts: 22 Member
    BUT...this is serious...you MUST MUST MUST save calories for an authentic slice of New York pizza. Being a NY'er, this is really my all-time favorite food. Whenever I feel the need to induldge, I head straight to the pizzeria!

Agreed been once and I have been craving a NY slice since ;D

I found it quite easy to eat healthily in NY, unless I found myself in a bar around dinner time. Loads of sushi places around too so thats normally top of my list. Reminds me need to arrange my next trip to the states soon.
This discussion has been closed.