Apartment Exercises?

Options
I live in a building with a business below me and another family above us and beside us.. etc. I have '30 Day Shred' but tried to do the jumping jacks and yea.. that wasn't a good idea. I tried my hardest to do them as lightly as I could but that is just not happening. My question is, can anyone suggest a good workout dvd that involves less jumping and maybe more floor workouts? I'm guessing some will say Yoga or Pilates? I have a Pilates dvd and it used to kick my *kitten* and I don't know if that's what I really want to do.. ehh maybe I'll just stick to my elliptical for now.

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment too and im doing P90X. I feel like the people below me can suck it up for an hour lol I also went to a friends house and you can hear the person above him. It sounded like they were working out one day, jumping around and i didn't find it that annoying. Do whats best for you as long as your usually pretty quiet they shouldn't mind. check out www.trainwithmeonline.com they have lots of different exercises you can pick the ones best for you. Good luck!! :smile:
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    Maybe get like a salsa dance workout or something...or Walk away the pounds?
  • relicsloft
    relicsloft Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    does anyone still do hip hop abs? well i do... and it is more moving side to side, there is some ramped up jumping but it is not the base of the video movement. it is more dancing standing bending, i would say it is great for the space and low key with the pounding noise below you. But you are on the right track with Yoga and pilates, thats the way to go if you are wanting to move even quieter and still do a video. If pilates is too hard, and oh man it was made to kick fat, try yoga or a mix of both. Good luck!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I like Chris Freytag's Walking Cardio Shape-Up. There's one short section of "jump-rope" and jogging in place, but that's it on the bouncing. You can download it on www.exercisetv.tv for a few dollars.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm with Tierra! I'm doing Turbo Fire and that is A LOT of jumping. I do land pretty lightly on my feet and I avoid the creaky spots on the floor (we have carpeting too) but the people below me can suck it up too. I don't do it at odd hours (it's either 6pm on weekdays or 10am-11am on weekends) and I try not to shake the whole place. But if I have to listen to their barking dog, or the Elephant man that lives upstairs from me literally SHAKING my apartment when he stomps around (honestly, I get mad thinking about it), I'm allowed to exercise for an hour a day. It's what you pay for living in an apartment. If you don't want to deal with noise, move into a house. I'm gonna keep jumping around whether my neighbors like it or not, and after 8 months of it, I've never gotten a single complaint.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using exercise or yoga mats to reduce the noise?
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    How about before or after business hours? or Think about moving?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just have a polite conversation with your neighbors? Knock on their door and let them know that you'd like to exercise but you don't want to bother them. Ask them if the time you set aside for an hour a day is acceptable. Showing your consideration for their comfort is most likely (if they have an decency at all) going to make is so they want to work with you. In the end everyone wins. If they do turn around and say no well then they're just jerks and you can worry about alternative exercising at that point (if at all, you could just talk to management about noise levels and rules).
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. My doctors office is build directly under a gym. Yes it is loud, but not all the time and not always excessive. As long as you are not loud all the time, it shouldn't be an issue. Or check with the people below you, explain yourself and see when they are least likely to be around to be bothered by it (if they will tell you).
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice! I'll be checking all of these things out. We won't be moving anytime soon because the rent is too cheap and just can't afford to yet. But the restaurant hasn't even opened yet! They've been remodeling for going on about 4 months now, and they are the loud ones! But I just feel a little hesitant to jump so much in an old creaky building. I'm thinking about going back to my daughter's room where it's closer to the ground [we are ground level from the back] and hopefully won't be as bad. Thanks again!! I appreciate it. [=