anyone here on anti-depressants or anti-psychotic meds?

Options
I take Abilify, Lexapro and Effexor. I was wondering if you guys take similar medications and if you've been successful at losing weight while taking them since these types of meds usually contribute to weight gain.

As for me, I gained 40 lbs on these meds but I've successfully lost 5 lbs pretty easily and quickly. I want to lose a total of 40 lbs, going from 180 lbs to 140 lbs.

My stats:

male
5'8"
CW: 175 lbs
GW: 140 lbs

Replies

• SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am currently on weaning proggram of being weaned off amitriptyline. I have been on effexor and other antidepressants (I've lost count as they were swapped as some didnt suit me)

It is possible for you to lose weight, but if you are really unsure of anything speak to your doctor or health care provider.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm on Wellbutrin and I'm down over 50 pounds, so yeah, I'd say I'm pretty successful while on anti-depressants.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Howdy, my husband is on currently on Seroquel (a notorious drug for weight gain), and Remeron and he has gone from about 220 to 185 (he's 6'3" and 39). He doesn't particularly watch his caloric intake (but then again he was never a terrible eater. He has benefited from me cooking more healthy meals and us both eating significantly less take out) but he will go to the gym and do a straight hour of cardio on the elliptical four or five days a week.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weaning off Duloxetine (altho mine is used for nerve damage rather than depression) and I blame it for the change certainly in my metabolism, which is why I want to try and come off them. This is the 3rd drug I've tried, Gabapentin knocked me out but Amytriptiline made me eat constantly!!! Did you find this Elle? x
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • curvygirly911
    curvygirly911 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I take Seroquel and Wellbutrin and managed to gain over 15 lbs when I added Seroquel to the mix. I'm trying to taper off the high dose and hopefully find a happy medium that lets me lose weight at the same time
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Celexa but the side effects were bothering me. So my Dr. switched me to Effexor. I lost most of my weight while on the Celexa. I had noticed an appetite increase with the Effexor but since its working so well, I am trying to work past it. I am finding the more I exercise, the less of an appetite I have so that has been helping.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Celexa but the side effects were bothering me.

Bet my side effect on Celexa beats yours. Believe it or not, it caused me to, in a laboratory definition sense, appear to develop nonA-NonB Hepatitis. As soon as I discontinued, blood work returned to normal Forest Labs was very interested in this adverse reaction.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Celexa but the side effects were bothering me.

Bet my side effect on Celexa beats yours. Believe it or not, it caused me to, in a laboratory definition sense, appear to develop nonA-NonB Hepatitis. As soon as I discontinued, blood work returned to normal Forest Labs was very interested in this adverse reaction.

Wow! No...you beat me on that one. I was having libido issues mainly. Glad the condition reversed itself for you!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Currently taking several mental health prescription medications among the 10 others (none related to weight loss)............. currently down 70 lbs.

It is not the medications that actually make you gain weight, it is what they do to your appetite. Since you seem to have that under control, keep up the great work.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yup, Zoloft for anxiety plus BCP. I luckily have my appetite under control for the most part. I work 100g at a time in terms of my weight loss knowing that I have 2 meds fighting against me.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    While we're hear, anyone had any other side effects on anti-depressants?

Just curious to know what other people have gone through, i'm still trying to find a happy medium between the tablets and what they do for my mental health and the side effects :-)
  • ronitigre
    ronitigre Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've noticed there's like, no doctors or science folk on this site! Not that there HAS to be but there's a lot of weird information floating around this site......

But anyway: Anti-psychotics will USUALLY spark weight gain, it makes you want to over eat. If you have the will-power to say no to over-indulgence generally, you'll be fine. Personally, I do what I want when I want and neveerr think of the consequences, so when my psychiatrist told me "I could control my eating" even though I'd have a bigger appetite I knew it was impossible for me so I said hellllllllllllllll no and saw a new psychiatrist.

Anti-depressants on the other hand usually aid weight loss (Wellbutrin and Zoloft are both known for that side affect)

I hope you all like run-on sentences <3
  • ronitigre
    ronitigre Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While we're hear, anyone had any other side effects on anti-depressants?

Just curious to know what other people have gone through, i'm still trying to find a happy medium between the tablets and what they do for my mental health and the side effects :-)

Me and my other friends on Zoloft would always talk about "Zoloft dreams." Horrriibbleee, vivid dreams (usually nightmares) that happen when you start, when you get off and if you miss too many doses in a row.

Also when you start they make you nauseous, like horribly nauseous. My first month or so on Zoloft I hardly ever ate. Also the nausea returns anytime you miss a dose.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I was on Zyprexa (anti-psychotic and notorious for weight gain) and Mirtazapine (anti-depressant) ... and I stopped the Zyprexa. I was just concerned about weight gain .. and I really didn't find that I needed them.

The anti-depressant .. I stopped taking it cold turkey. (Bad idea .. ) .. and I was having an overwhelming amount of feelings coming to the surface. I couldn't stop thinking about things that bothered me and sleep was nearly impossible.

So I went back on the anti-depressant and even though I am taking 1/2 dose .. I am feeling better and sleep is improved.

I am not going back on the anti-psychotic.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking Prozac, busporine, trozodone for a long time now and the ocasional adavan.
    I take it for anxiety and ocd.

It may have helped in my high weight at some point, but when I decided I was going to lose weight, start exercising, and eatting better, I had no problem taking the weight off while on those meds.

Oh and birth control, notorious for weight gain!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I currently take Wellbutrin, but I took Zoloft and Lexapro in the past. Wellbutrin has been weight neutral for me, but I did gain a few poinds on both Zoloft and Lexapro... but I don't blame the meds. I found that with the Zoloft and Lexapro, they made me a bit apathetic, which really made me lose my motivation to watch what I was eating or care about the consequences of overeating. I can't blame the meds for any weight gain, because I know it had more to do with my eating behaviors.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've been on fluoxetine for around 11 weeks now. Have successfully lost 13lbs so far. The hardest part is to motivate yourself when you're struggling. I find that exercise generally helps my mood, so that IS my motivation.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm on Wellbutrin and I'm down over 50 pounds, so yeah, I'd say I'm pretty successful while on anti-depressants.

Ditto. It's the best antidepressant I've ever had, over here it's known by another name, Zyban and is offered for smoking cessation. But the drug name is Buproprion. Google it.

It is known to aid weight loss. I believe the argument is that it's a slight upper so raises metabolic rate, but I think the reason is because it helps you stick to your decisions.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I take Zoloft and Abilify, and have found that it is MUCH harder to lose weight now than it was before I started taking them. It's a very slow process, but I weighed myself this morning and the scale is finally starting to move after two weeks of either no loss or a gain while eating at a deficit. You'll get there, but it might be harder for you than it is for people who aren't on this medication. If it really gets difficult and the scale won't budge, you can always talk to your doctor about switching to a different antidepressant. :)