Stress eating

Options
Hello Group,

I can stay within my 1200 calorie just fine for the most part. And, have lost 8 lbs. But, when I get stressed all I want to do is eat! I try and drink more water. I try and just tell myself its stress and I am not hungry. I try and just eat fruit. But, I get soooo hungry and my will to not eat is weaker when I am stressed.
Anyone else deal with this?
Thanks!

Replies

• omnyway
    omnyway Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello Group,

I can stay within my 1200 calorie just fine for the most part. And, have lost 8 lbs. But, when I get stressed all I want to do is eat! I try and drink more water. I try and just tell myself its stress and I am not hungry. I try and just eat fruit. But, I get soooo hungry and my will to not eat is weaker when I am stressed.
    Anyone else deal with this?
    Thanks!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work out. I was definitely an emotional eater, stress definitely being up there. Now I try to work out, and I must admit I've also replaced that with coming on here and browsing around on the forums. Give it a try :happy:
  • omnyway
    omnyway Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks Pedalhound. So do you just drop everything and go running if the urge to eat hits? One of my stresses is that I am feeling time pressured. So, I need to somehow convince myself that exercising for 15 mins is better/faster than eating some Ritz crackers with cheese, again. I also use food to divert my attention when something stressful is occuring. I don't know how I can get myself to go exercise instead. But, I will try. I do enjoy browsing this site when I feel the urge to eat. But, then someone will post a great recipe and I have to go try it. :tongue:
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Another perk is that if you exercise, you have more calories in your caloric allowance for the day in order to eat.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In the moment when there's not much you can do, try very hard to think of it this way: you'll never regret doing what you have to to stop the impulse to use food as a tool for stress, but chances are you'll always regret having lost control. When I was first coming out of the habit, I would tell myself (sometimes out loud!) "you will be so mad at yourself after! Think of how proud you'll be when you've made the right choice!" And more often than not it worked. At times it didn't, I did feel like crap about it, and I tried not to let it ruin the rest of my day. You have a new chance to make a better choice every single time a situation presents itself to you. THAT is key.

Another idea is to try brushing your teeth the second you feel like you're going to want to reach for a snack to satisfy your emotions. So many things taste gross with that minty taste in your mouth.

On the other side, once you've adjusted to new patterns of behaviour, think of what a huge benefit it is that you will have had to face and resolve these things within yourself. How empowering to know that you can do this! This journey is made with very very small steps - a point I'm realizing more each day - and if you honour that you'll shine.