Ladies, I want to start running: Looking for support...

Options
You know, from a decent sports bra. I feel so lost looking for one. Do you have any brands you recommend or tips for finding a good one? I know I'm going to have to spend some $ but I don't want to waste it on something that isn't going to work for me.

Replies

• alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like Triumph sports bras for support and comfort - they seem to last too, I've had some of mine for around 4 years now and they're still good.
  • SunnyLu3
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's so hard for me to go spend that much on a sports bra. I must confess I buy cheap ones and have to run in 2 bras. I don't think I'm the only one, but... I don't want to go spend $50-$70 on a sports bra and still have to run in 2 bras. How do I avoid that? Are the good brands just that magical or is there a certain style/cut to look for if you have a lot to support?
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a cheap sports bra, then an under armour one over it. I'm a DD so I don't feel comfortable with just 1 bra. Good luck in the search.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Under Armour Endure zip-front was the greatest sports bra of all time, but they discontinued it (sigh). The new model, the Protegee, doesn't quite stack up. However, the Armour Bra has worked out pretty well for me. at 34DD, I can wear it on 12 mile runs. The straps slip a bit, but not terribly.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I must confess I buy cheap ones and have to run in 2 bras. I don't think I'm the only one, but... I don't want to go spend $50-$70 on a sports bra and still have to run in 2 bras. How do I avoid that?

I avoid that by not buying a cheap bra.

You have to try them on and bounce around in the change room to see how they work for you. If you need to wear 2, it's not the right bra for you. Some bras might be fantastic for one person, and crappy for another person. The right size is important, too. The wrong band size won't give you the support you need.

FWIW, I really like the "tata tamer' model from Lululemon, but YMMV
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work for a specialty running store and our bra brand of choice is Moving Comfort. They are the only company that actually specializes in bras. So you know they've put a lot of time and effort into the right fit. I highly recommend checking them out. :) Send me a message if you have any particular questions and I can try to answer them.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What size are you? I'm a 40 F and I got one from Lane Bryant that works really well. It's not pretty, and it covers most of my torso, but that's what I need.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Moving Comfort bras. They are all I wear now, whether I'm exercising or not. They are expensive, but WELL worth it. I have a few from a few years ago that are still in excellent shape. Very comfortable, supportive fit...and I don't bounce!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I know many women love sports bras, but I can never get them on. They never seem to work for me. I love love love my Playtex 18 Hour Support bras. They are perfect.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    moving comfort- on sale. brooks one i bought is great w support.
  • golightly16
    golightly16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My life was complete when I found the Under Armour sports bras. I'm a double d with a relatively small waist so support was a huge issue for me when I started running. I shimmy into this baby, and my girls are not going anywhere.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/womens/apparel/sports-bras/high-impact
  • Nitamarie434
    Nitamarie434 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use. It works great for me. It's called the Last Resort Sports Bra. Find it here: http://www.titlenine.com/product/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Hope this helps.
  • kfdowley
    kfdowley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a H, I spent $100 on a sports bra. All the tag says is "Anita Active". It's certainly not pretty but they don't move!!

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/76/f/AAAAC_A9DYsAAAAAAHb8-g.jpg?v=1254533550000