The 5:2 Fast Diet

Options
Anyone on this? This is my first week . today is my fast day and I've only had 475 calories today. I feel OK.

I'm not even tempted to have that weight watchers sultana slice, but maybe I'll have it as a snack before bed, maybe.

I started on Friday and I was so hungry in bed, but today at work someone advised me to have a cup of tea close to bed time and so far no hunger pains, yet.

This diet is really taking off at my work because the results are showing, so others start doing it too....like me.

Oh, I forgot to talk about myself

I'm from Sydney. And .....umm

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Anyone on this? This is my first week . today is my fast day and I've only had 475 calories today. I feel OK.

I'm not even tempted to have that weight watchers sultana slice, but maybe I'll have it as a snack before bed, maybe.

I started on Friday and I was so hungry in bed, but today at work someone advised me to have a cup of tea close to bed time and so far no hunger pains, yet.

This diet is really taking off at my work because the results are showing, so others start doing it too....like me.

Oh, I forgot to talk about myself

I'm from Sydney. And .....umm

G'day! :) here's the group...friendly bunch...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yup, doing this.Today I got up and had breakfast as normal (usually I skip it on fast days), but reckon I can still get in under 600 anyhow. Or "tomorrow is another day" - may defer til tomorrow.

You could search "5:2" on here. There are lots of threads.
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the 5:2 fast diet, feel free to add! :-)
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound healthy to me, wouldn't that mess with your metabolism?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do it but I do 4:3. I fast every 3rd day & I always do 0 calories on my fasting days. Easy for me, I don't get hungry for at least 40 hours & do not lack energy at all.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Why would it? It's extremely healthy & is no different to having a deficit anyway, just you are doing that on a few days & not having to worry so much on normal days.
  • fitin3m
    fitin3m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is my first week with 5:2 diet and currently I plan to settle for 400 calories for today. Hoping the day will end as per my diary plan. Fingers crossed.
  • MissBellatrix
    Options
    I am very curious with this one, I have tried the three day diet or the Military Diet, but it didn't help me to lose a pound. Anyone here who had tried this 5:2 fasting and it worked successfully?
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Why would it? It's extremely healthy & is no different to having a deficit anyway, just you are doing that on a few days & not having to worry so much on normal days.
    Well I've read things like this by professionals talking about it: "Restricting your calories dramatically will have a negative affect on the body’s metabolic rate, in turn putting the body into a catabolic state,’ he says. ‘This means when your body does not have enough nutrients going in (predominately protein), it responds by going to other sources, such as muscle and tissue, to use as fuel. So you could end up losing muscle in the long run.’"

I'm not saying it is or isn't healthy, it just doesn't sound healthy to me personally.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I have been on it for 11 weeks, it works well for me! The 5:2 group is awesome here! Good Luck and feel free to add me.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Well I've read things like this by professionals talking about it: "Restricting your calories dramatically will have a negative affect on the body’s metabolic rate, in turn putting the body into a catabolic state,’ he says. ‘This means when your body does not have enough nutrients going in (predominately protein), it responds by going to other sources, such as muscle and tissue, to use as fuel. So you could end up losing muscle in the long run.’"

I'm not saying it is or isn't healthy, it just doesn't sound healthy to me personally.

You don't restrict your calories dramatically if you do it correctly. You eat at maintenance the five days out of the week, and restrict a lot on the 2 fasting days. If you do the math, it would be the same as eating at around a 500 calorie deficit every day of the week.

I don't do it personally, but can understand why people might be attracted to it because it could be easier to get your 3500 weekly deficit out of the way in two days. You just have to be extra careful not to overeat on the regular days, or else the deficit is easily erased. I tried it before and it wasn't bad at all, but I prefer to do a daily deficit because it's easier to keep a routine that way for me.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and have been on and off diets for over 30 years. 5:2 is the only diet that I've stuck to as it is so easy to do. Two pounds away from my goal and then I will maintain by switching to 6:1. There are health benefits too - Google Michael Mosley - The Fast Diet for more information and look at the 5:2 groups on here for advice and support. And my weight now is the lightest I've been in 30 years!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

You don't restrict your calories dramatically if you do it correctly. You eat at maintenance the five days out of the week, and restrict a lot on the 2 fasting days. If you do the math, it would be the same as eating at around a 500 calorie deficit every day of the week.

I don't do it personally, but can understand why people might be attracted to it because it could be easier to get your 3500 weekly deficit out of the way in two days. You just have to be extra careful not to overeat on the regular days, or else the deficit is easily erased. I tried it before and it wasn't bad at all, but I prefer to do a daily deficit because it's easier to keep a routine that way for me.

Actually the 500 for women & the 600 for men was only later put in for those who feel they can't totally go without food for the 36 hours ( a real fasting time not just 24hrs).

I personally eat nothing for 40 hours every 3rd day & I'm sure I am still alive & going quite well.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 and it works very well for me - I don't get too hungry on the fast days (I tend to use my 500 cals just for the one evening meal rather than split it), and I do feel as though I have more energy than I used to! Any 5:2 ers please feel free to add me :-)
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Been doing 5:2 since June, it has been the only diet that has worked for me in 6 years!
    I don't feel hungry on my fasting days, and I calorie control what I eat the other 5 days as well as exercise 4 days a week.

Feel free to add me. :-)
  • scrottan
    scrottan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My first post, but I saw all the questions in this thread and thought that I would describe the hype on 5:2 here in Sweden. It all started 6 month ago when the documentary "Eat, Fast & Live Longer" by Mikael Mosley journalist/MD and produced by BBC was aired on state television on prime time. For some reason it seemed to really appeal to people here in Sweden, because now this is the way to go if you are going to diet, LCHF is out :) (But I find LCHF eating practical on fast day to avoid going around hungry)

Anyhow, to summarize the documentary, it states that you will lose weight and live longer based on tests done on mice and tracking blood pressure and cholesterol on human doing intermittent fasting, and specifically he looked into the 5:2 diet. The losing weight part was basically the old straight forward explanation that it’s all about input/output. But then the living longer was discussed and some theory’s on cells going into regeneration state when fasting was put forward (to me these theories felt more speculative than losing weight part).
    So I really recommend the documentary so you could judge by yourself if this is something for you (google it, I think it is available on youtube, vimeo etc)
    Regarding the statement in this discussion thread that the body goes into starvation mode are not supported by any research I found. Some research even states that the metabolism is increased on intermittent fasting. First after 60 hours or more, some research shows -8% in resting metabolism. This blog describes it a bit (4. Myth: Fasting tricks the body into "starvation mode". http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html)

My personally experience:
    I’ve been on the 5:2 diet for 6-7 weeks, gone from ~87kg to ~81kg during these weeks. Now, I’m looking into trying 6:1 instead to hold my current weight. Some days I get really hungry, but if I try to eat more proteins on the fasting days I can avoid the hunger. The biggest problem I have had is that I lost 2 days that I could do workouts on, so I only have 5 days to choose from.

Hope my post gave some more info
  • M00nbeam55
    M00nbeam55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have decided to give the 5 : 2 diet a go. And have managed to do my 2 days fasting this week - mon and thurs. Surprised myself by not feeling hungry on those days, and still managed to do exercise class etc... so , so far so good.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Hi All

I have decided to give the 5 : 2 diet a go. And have managed to do my 2 days fasting this week - mon and thurs. Surprised myself by not feeling hungry on those days, and still managed to do exercise class etc... so , so far so good.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I like food too much to starve myself.
  • reggiecornwall
    Options
    Hi. I have been using this strategy since March 2013 and reduced my body weight by 16kgs, which is 35lbs or 2.5stone in old money.
    I am happy to be added to your group.