Know any links to good tennis player workouts?

Options
Hi all!

I am learning the game of tennis and have joined a team. I find myself getting tired much too quickly when I'm playing tennis and it makes me lazy on the court. So I would to know what you do for an off-court workout if you play tennis. I'm thinking cardio in general, like running and biking, will help with my stamina. How about weight training?

If you can recommend any online sites or articles or any books, that would be great. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Samantha

Replies

• mrseholley
    mrseholley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stamina is important in Tennis. I coach a high school team and we spend a lot of time on cardio conditioning during the winter months. We run when weather permits (C25K) and I like the Turbo Fire HIIT workouts when we can't get outside. I think you might find them on youtube but I bought the whole set on ebay for $50.

Mental toughness is also important. Your brain will tell you it's bored and tired and ready to quit long before you really are physically exhausted. Push through, trust your training plan and as all good tennis coaches will tell you... "stay on your toes".

As far as good tennis links, USTA is full of information. If you're not a member yet, try to join but there is a ton of stuff on their site for free.

Good Luck,
    Ellen
  • Sammiebird
    Sammiebird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I didn't see your response until now. I am a USTA member, so I will check out their site. I am especially looking for workouts I can do inside during the winter because in Maine an outdoor workout is out of the question for all but the most insane/hardcore. So thank you for the recommendations!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Good question. The following with emphasis on HIIT:

Sprint training if it's dry outside. (Google it.)

Kettlebell/DB swings eg 10 reps every 60 seconds for 20 minutes.

BB hang cleans high reps eg 10 reps every 60 seconds for 20 minutes.

DB Push press as above.