Protein Shakes - problem

Options
Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone else hast the same problem with protein shakes. Recently I have decided to upp my protein and water intake as I am struggling to eat enough protein. I thought that the easiest way would be to have some protein shakes to do that. I love the taste but after having them I feel absolutely awful. I feel sickly for hours and really generally ill, if I could go to bed I would definitely do that. I feel like the whole of my body chemistry is thrown of balance after having the shake. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have tried it couple of times and each time I feel awful.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i had this a while ago when i was having a protein juice for breakfast. i think for me it was because it was cold?!? or maybe because your getting alot of fuel from a drink? it hasn't happened to me for ages (just the first week or two i think) so it might just be a case of getting used to it.

ETA: if you just can't stomach it maybe try having a chocolate one at bedtime, heated up for hot chocolate :)
    vanilla is also nice instead of milk and sugar in your coffee.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    check the ingredients list...you could be reacting to artifical flavours or sweeteners, or any other synthetic ingredients. what kind of protein powder is it? intolerances to whey and soya in particular could cause a reaction too.
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First as the above posters are correct on the ingredience. Possibilties range from gluten to lactose issues. What brand of protien do you use and what do you mix it with?

For the time being to up your protien take 8 oz milk, 1 container of Okios greek yogart (your flavor I use vanilla) add some frozen fruits of your choice. Blend and drink. It will be like a smoothie but with around 15-20 grams of protien.
  • ReniaL
    ReniaL Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I will check the ingridients.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but you're probably overdoing the protein. Just a glass of milk after a workout would probably make you feel a lot better!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand! You can buy single-serving samples - then you won't end up paying lots of $$ while trying to find a protein you like.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel this way sometimes if I drink them too quickly, or if I drink them WITH a meal. For me, they have to stand on their own. Also, I literally cannot stomach certain kinds (like muscle milk... the taste is fine, but once it hits my stomach it is not staying there...) so I had to experiment. My favourite (and I know many people who love it too) is the Premier Protein brand, normally found at Sams/Costco, etc. 30 grams in 11 oz and it tastes pretty good too!

I fit them into my day by sipping at them between meals. So i'll have breakfast, then after I get to work I'll leave it out and sip at it for a few hours... then I'll have lunch, etc.

Also, if you do try a variety of shakes and still get that feeling, then stop. Take a close look at the ingredients and find what they have in common- chances are you are allergic to that ingredient! Also, try different types of protein. There is whey (which I recommend, but some people cannot tolerate), soy (which I personally cannot tolerate), etc. Lots of variety!!

Good luck :)
  • DebMc2015
    DebMc2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me I had problem with the iron content- I had to find a shake that didn't have as much iron which caused to me feel a little better.
    Strange to say since I am anemic so I need all the iron I can get! ha
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    are you lactose intolerant?

some protein powders include lactose. you could try one without lactose to see how you respond.
  • TreetYoSelf
    Options
    I feel the same way when I drink protein shakes. ESPECIALLY DAIRY BASED PRODUCTS!!!
    Protein is really hard for your body to digest so upping such a concentrated form of protein to your diet can definitely mess with your stomach, causing your stomach to produce more acid, resulting massive stomach problems and an imbalance in blood Ph (which can obviously make you feel really sick!). Plus, you likely don't produce enough protease (enzyme responsible for breaking down protein) to deal with all the extra protein your consuming, and you might not produce enough lactase to deal with the increased lactose you're getting from the dairy (that is, if you are consuming whey or casein). These undigested proteins and sugars provide lots of great fuel for gut bacteria in your intestine which causes all the gas you're probably experiencing.
    Also, you probably know this, but if you're not actually using the protein you're consuming to help rebuild muscle after a workout, all that excess protein turns to glucose (which is stored as glucose in the liver and as fa, a process called gluconeogenesis). So you may want to reconsider if you actually need all that protein in the first place....

That being said here is what I do: I eat eggs (the most digestible form of protein) and I use Garden of Life Raw protein powder. Since I'm sensitive to dairy, soy AND wheat, this product is perfect for me. It's basically a ton of organic dehydrated, high-protein sprouted seeds, legumes, and grains. It also contains the enzymes necessary to digest the protein and it never makes me sick. If I'm going to eat more than one scoop of it though, I supplement with a digestive enzyme tablet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you may just be better off eating your protein rather than drinking it...greek yogurt, chicken, eggs, pork, meat, etc
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein shakes are you using? Do you make them or are they prepackaged?

I can't do most prepackaged protein shakes, and I can't do a shake with a bunch of food ingredients in it. I either do an Atkins shake 160 calories or a glass of milk with a single scoop of protein powder in it to give me a little protein boost. That gets me between 20 and 30 extra grams. If I drink more protein or calories than that, I get a similar reaction to what you're talking about, so I make sure to get the rest of my protein from food.

If you have a hard time getting enough protein and still need a boost, you might try protein bars instead of shakes too.
  • ReniaL
    ReniaL Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I think I will just give up on the shakes and stick to 'normal' protein. Well Eggs are the way then :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There's a world of difference in protein powders. I've researched them and I have a shake daily. You might try Jay Robb's egg protein. It's very good and nothing artificial. Organic. I use BlueBonnet Whey Isolate from grass fed cows in New Zealand. It has nothing artificial in it.

You want to avoid artificial sweeteners. Stevia is natural and ok for most people. But don't buy the cheap stuff as it really isn't good and most of it has all sorts of metal in it such as lead and also arsenic. You can get small packets to try at Whole Foods and probably other places.

If you find you can't handle any of it, don't drink protein shakes. Get extra meat. Buy some jerky. And you don't need as much as most people would have you believe.
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I think I will just give up on the shakes and stick to 'normal' protein. Well Eggs are the way then :)

I had a lot of stomach problems too when I started the protein powder. I found out it was because it was Whey (dairy based) and though I can stomach cheese and a little bit of milk I CANNOT do Whey! :) I know you said you're going to give up the protein shakes, but just so you know you don't have to give them up entirely. I thought I'd have to give them up too, but honestly girl... there's only some many eggs and yogurt I can eat!! HA! If you're interested give a look into PlantFusion brand. There's no soy or whey or artificial sweeteners (flavored powders are sweetened with stevia). There's 21g of protein per scoop and only 120 cals. I get mine for the local Health Food store or order it from Amazon. I've had no stomach problems since I started using this brand and the increased protein has really helped me! Good luck!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I can't have dairy and have tried a variety of non-whey protein shakes from GNC. My two favorite are albumin (egg) based: Jay Robb Vanilla egg protein powder and ON (omniNutruition?) Gold Standard Chocolate Egg (my favorite). I like nut milks better than soy milk, and use AlmondBreeze. Let us know what works, okay? Good luck.