Not a weight loss success but a mental success

Options
Hi all I'm Danielle.

This isn't your normal success story. This is a success story about how your mental health is much more important than weight loss. Abit of background about me, I'm a mum of a little boy and I love with my partner. I use to be super fit and active whilst serving in the army. Left the army and gained some weight. I joined this fantastic site and made lots of great friends and I started to lose weight.

During my weight loss journey, I suffered from severe depression and crazy borderline moments of complete rage. I was in a deep, dark place. This time last year I hit rock bottom!! I couldn't get out of bed of morning, didn't open the curtains, couldn't even get my son to school as I was too scared to leave the house. My house looked like a bomb had hit it and I was going crazy. Finally I suffered a complete breakdown and shaved off all my beautiful long hair, AKA Britney Spears!!

After seeing a shrink I was diagnosed with bipolar, put on medication and had counselling. All the weight I had lost at this point I regained. The meds took awhile to kick in and during this dark time I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't give up though I keep pushing for a way out of my hell. I suffered many terrible moments of going of the rails; my partner at all times stuck with me. I continued to log my food and do some exercise, never giving up hope.

Fast forward 12 months from my Britney moment and I'm now in such a happy place, my moods finally under control. I wake up everyday now full of life, I take my son out, got a job and now I'm studying law :) I'm following the T25 program and still continuing to track my food. The weights coming off, but to be honest the mental clarity I have now far outweighs the weight loss. I couldn't have gotten through these last 12 months without my fab MFP friends, thanks guys.

The reason for my post is that I see a lot of people on the forums suffering from depression etc. I just want to let you all know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep pushing through and just know that all the tiny baby steps you make, does indeed make a huge difference. Take each day slowly, continue to track your food no matter how much crap you've eaten. Go for a walk to clear your head. But most importantly just know your not alone and your friends on this site are there for you to lean on and support you.

Thanks MFP for being the most awesome site ever!! I open up more to my friends on here than I do on any other site and I've made some great life long friends. My journey the last 12 months I wouldn't have succeeded without MFP.

Cheers and peace out xx

Replies

• russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, Danielle - it's so great to hear a different kind of story, with such a fantastic outcome.
  • splatt1961
    splatt1961 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, it will reach out to many. Food sometimes is a prop for people and I know how that can affect everything in life. Well done.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Mental health is not something that is easy to talk about.

I was diagnosed with PMDD - pre-menstral dysphoric disorder about 5 years ago. I had no idea what was causing these horrid outbursts, the rage and the depression that would last days and then be gone as fast as it started. My emotions and outbursts went on and off like a light switch When I was finally diagnosed and medicated I felt like I was given my life back. Thankfully like you I had a partner that stuck by me.

Eating healthy and staying active is so important to maintain balance in all aspects of my life.

Wishing you continued health and happiness.

Karen
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Amazing lady :heart: :smile: x
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. My husband is bipolar and his weight has always fluctuated based on his medication cocktail of the day.

I am also glad you posted because my success has also been mental and fitness based and not weight based and I never thought I could post here even though I am incredibly proud of the steps I have taken and the emotional growth I have experienced on this journey.

Thank you again for being honest and open.

Juliana
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Kudos to taking your life back . I know how important your mental health is and the most difficult step is to seek help when you are in such a dark place. The issue with mental illnesses is that they put you in a place where you need to seek help but you cannot.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So proud of you Hun you have done so well xx
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Mental successes are just as important! Thank you for sharing! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!