Anybody TTC while also trying to lose weight?

Options
Hi all, I am the mom of one beautiful little girl, and went off the pill a few weeks ago in the hopes of getting pregnant with #2. It took me two years to lose the 49 pounds I gained while pregnant with my daughter, and unfortunately I gained a bit back and am 11 pounds up from my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm currently trying to lose a little weight while TTC, with the plan to stop trying to lose when I get pregnant, but maintain tracking (at a higher calorie count appropriate for pregnancy, of course). I do not want to end up gaining almost 50 pounds and being completely out of shape like I was with my last pregnancy.

Anybody else in similar circumstances?

Replies

• kimberlymarie30
    kimberlymarie30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am still dieting while TTC. It took me almost 4 years to get to my pre pregnancy weight. I was 8 lbs under my pre preg weight last year, but I've since gained that 8 lbs back. I am still overweight even at my pre preg weight, so I'm not stopping now. I also plan on continuing to track once I get pregnant. No way am I going back to 250 lbs like I did with my daughter. Good luck to you!
  • dawnabon45
    dawnabon45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks kimberly and good luck with TTC! Do you have any idea how to determine the proper amount of calories to eat when pregnant? I found a few websites but got different totals with each.
  • kimberlymarie30
    kimberlymarie30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This looks like a good thorough discussion of calorie counts while pregnant. I would also ask your doctor.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531228-net-calories-during-pregnancy
  • dawnabon45
    dawnabon45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Eeyore_Chick
    Eeyore_Chick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's helpful :) I'm TTC #1 & I'm hoping that watching what DH & I are eating will help with the process
  • jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I too am TTC. I have 3 children, the youngest being 10, and my husband and I want one more. We found out we were expecting in June and then miscarried July 3rd at 8 weeks. It's just about devastated me and I've gained alot of weight. At my drs appt Friday I saw how much....yikes! So I'm starting MFP back. I'm 5 1" and 173 pounds, 40+ pounds overweight. I want to lose some weight and if we're blessed again, I still want to stay with mpg just to watch my pregnancy calories...Sweet blessings to all of you!
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am. I had a miscarriage recently. Gained back the 20 or so lbs that I lost. I'm torn between wanting to try to have another now or waiting until I lose some weight, but I come back to I'm not getting any younger. I'm 35 and I definitely want one more.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies - I'm 34 and TTC my second child. I have one son who is 8 and one stepson who is also 8 and DH and I want a baby together. :) We've been TTC for a year now and lost one early on (5-6 weeks) in June of 2013. I am up about 10 lbs since starting TTC - part of it came from the fact that the OB told me to "stop being so active - running, etc," (because my cycles were so irregular) a little I gained from the failed pregnancy itself and then since then I've been overeating just due to the stress of it all. Been feeling depressed lately over the whole TTC experience, the miscarriage, etc. We decided to take this cycle off and I'm going to focus on getting my weight back down a bit. I have found it really challenging to focus on weight loss while TTC...

I'm so sorry to hear of those who have had losses.

Good luck to everyone!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks kimberly and good luck with TTC! Do you have any idea how to determine the proper amount of calories to eat when pregnant? I found a few websites but got different totals with each.

I know you didn't ask me but my doctor has told me that it's perfectly fine for me to continue to eat at a 20% deficit because I started pregnancy while obese. 5'2, 211lbs. That's 1537 calories each day. I have just today changed my goals to maintenance to accommodate the extra calories from the liter of special milk my doctor wants me drinking. 1922 calories each day now.

And on the main topic; I was trying to lose weight while TTC and lost 105lbs and still wasn't pregnant. We suffered a miscarriage in Feb 2010 and had been trying since then. I finally got to talk to an OBGYN that told me that it hadn't mattered if I weighed 500lbs or 110lbs I wouldn't have got pregnant because I wasn't ovulating even though I was having normal 26/28 day cycles. Two rounds of Clomid and we are finally pregnant, 12 weeks on Thursday. My point being, please don't think that your weight is preventing you from getting pregnant as it rarely has anything to do with it if you are having normal cycles and be proactive about your fertility!

Always looking for friends, feel free to add me!

Edit to add: This is a really great website to see what your calorie intake should be normally, then you can adjust with your doctors guidelines to find what works best for you. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • harmonyhoran
    harmonyhoran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi my DH and I are trying to conceive our second child. We have a son who is 20 months. It took 18 months to get pregnant the first time (I was 24, husband was 28) and I was the same weight I am now (59kg - 130lb?) when I got pregnant. I gained about 20kg -45lb and lost most of my baby weight without trying too much thanks to EBF but when I stopped BF at 1 year I gained back about 5kg - 11lb.

Ive been on MFP about two months now so that's got me back to my starting weight again. We have been trying 1 year already as we didn't want our kids to be too far apart and figured if we got pregnant asap then 18 months wouldn't be too bad. But hey, its been a year this month.

Last time when I started getting myself into better shape I fell pregnant so I wonder if that will happen this time? In the meantime, I'm loving the success I've seen in the last two months so at least I'm not sitting around waiting to get pregnant again. I'm also better with what I eat now so hope to keep tracking if/when I get pregnant again to keep my gains minimal.

Good luck ladies! (and guys)